Anybody get BRAC'd?

bj

Newly Enlightened
Anybody get BRAC\'d?

Just wondering how our online community fared in the recently announced military base closures. Kind of sucked that they decided to move the announcement up and it ended up being Friday the 13th!

I got 'realigned' - DoD talk for 'your job is moving, are you following?' No, I'm not. I've got almost 21 years in, and with a wife and kids, I'm staying put. Our management is trying to find a way to keep us where we are, always a slim chance there. Can't complain too much, at least I still have a job...

Anyone else on the hit list?

watt4

Enlightened
Re: Anybody get BRAC\'d?

st louis air guard unit might lose its F-15's.

but a nearby Air Force Base is gaining jobs.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

CONSIDERABLE "proposed" cut at Eielson AFB in Fairbanks, Alaska. I believe the cut is supposed to be about 3000 troops, loss of their fighters, but keeping the refueling wing.

Cuts at Elmendorf AFB as well, losing 2 wings of F-15s, but eventually gaining the F-22 Raptors.

Kulis Air Guard Base closing (moving to Elmendorf).

Overall it affects about 4619 people (military & civilian). Add to this numbers their families and this is a chunk of people. Local economies will feel it for sure!

Personally though working in the civilian sector now, I'm retired from the AF - so unless base facilities change here in Anchorage - my family won't directly feel it.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

[ QUOTE ]
watt4 said:
Alaska is a great place to keep tankers and interceptors

[/ QUOTE ]
ABSOLUTELY...and that's the proposed "defense" to keep them here! Geographically, it's a prime location to "launch" from!

Bright Scouter

Enlightened

My wife's cousing is a contractor for the 110th at the Battle Creek Air National Guard base. She also is in the guard. So she is getting a double whammy! She is still not sure yet if she moves to the East side of the state by Detroit with the guard, does her civilian job move or not. Knowing you have to move, but can't or maybe not, but could be, kinda, maybe???? Not fun.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened

The other effect that has on the area is that we have a hot air balloon festival and air show each summer. The festival is held on the airport grounds and the air guard base and personnel do a TREMENDOUS amount of work for us. With them leaving, I'm not sure we can continue. The balloons are not a problem. But the air show has always been coordinated by the air guard. The next few years will be interesting.

Too bad. The Thunderbirds have only missed coming here one of the last 8 or 9 years. We have them and the Snow Birds again this year. We have been honored to have many outstanding teams come here. Makes me wonder what we will get from now on.