Thor focal point/beam convergence limiting throw

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

In some of the recent HID Thor beamshots (like the ones showing the lights aimed straight up) I have been noticing what looks like a convergence or focal point a few yards out from the light. This would make sense since the reflector is clearly not a parabola. Sure enough last night I found that my 15mcp 50w HID Thor has a focal point about seven feet out from the light. The way you can tell is by shining the light on a wall up close and noting the position of the return wire shadow. Mine starts out on top, then at about seven feet vanishes, and then appears on the bottom as the light is moved farther away. This makes me want to try tweaking the focus a bit and moving it out if possible. It also makes me want to try building a light with a true parabolic reflector like the Blitz has. Ahh...more projects! Anyway I just thought the Thor fans here might be interested.

cfb

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
lotsalumens said:
It also makes me want to try building a light with a true parabolic reflector like the Blitz has. Ahh...more projects!
cfb

Interesting, I get about the same results doing the wall test, the one true way to find out is compare them side by side. Since the Blitz is easier to mail than a Thor, I would be more than happy to send the 35/50W HID Blitz test mule your way so you can try it out and report back with your findings and beam shots :)

I have long wondered about the differences in these two reflectors finding an answer would be nice, PM me if your interested.

Later
Kelly