KL4 & E1E

firefly99

Enlightened
I understand the LED unit for E1E is KL1. While KL4 is for E2 series. Can someone advises what would happen, if I mount KL4 on E1E ? Will the KL4 be damaged ? Thanks.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Firefly99,

Welcome to CPF.

You will end up with what we call a TW4. If you do a search on that you will find some useful information.

Be advised that the KL4 sometimes will not work on one cell due to variations in LED's. When it works, it makes for a great light in a small package.

Tom

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL4 + E1e will work perfectly (regardless of LED variations) if you use a rechargeable 123 (R123). I buy mine at batterystation.com

Jeff

attowatt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
firefly99 said:
I understand the LED unit for E1E is KL1. While KL4 is for E2 series. Can someone advises what would happen, if I mount KL4 on E1E ? Will the KL4 be damaged ? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi firefly99,

Welcome to CPF. You will end up with the light that is on the left(TW4) to answer your question. The light on the right is a KL1 head with L4 flashlight. I just swapped led heads.

I edc my tw4, works great for a single cell light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyone know what they call the light on the right ...TW1???

Jim

dsc007817sq.jpg

firefly99

Enlightened
I did a search for TW4, found the combination is KL4 + E1E + R123. What is the difference between using R123 and 123 ?
I do not have R123, so I am using KL4 + E1E + 123, it has been constant on for the last 3 hours, with no sign of fading out yet.

firefly99

Enlightened
hi folks, Thank you very much for your advice & photo.

Jim, what is the runtime for your TW4 ?

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
firefly99 said:
I did a search for TW4, found the combination is KL4 + E1E + R123. What is the difference between using R123 and 123 ?
I do not have R123, so I am using KL4 + E1E + 123, it has been constant on for the last 3 hours, with no sign of fading out yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got a "winner" there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have 2 that will run on non-rechargables for 3.5-4 hours before dimming and then to 5-5.5 hours with useful low output.

How is your tint?

EDIT...
<font color="red">Welcome to CPF! </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
firefly,
welcome and grab a seat and hold on to your wallet.

I've got a TW4 with a McGizmo two stage Flat top tail with a hair trigger. If you prefer a flood type light rather than a lazerbeam light this is surely the best light. the beam color I have is as white as snowflakes and with a rechargeable it'll last a looooong time.

Doug

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
cognitivefun

1 non-rechargable Cell) about 60%-70% brightness of 2 cell. Runtime 3.5-5 times that of 2 cell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

This is "MY" experience YMMV. Of the 4 KL4's I have only 2 work on 1 non-rechargable cell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

cy

Flashaholic
KL4 on single CR123 is probably not in regulation for very long if at all. it'll run a long time on low /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

R123 li-ion is made for TW4 setup. Mine draw 1764 milliamps with R123. best R123 has aprox 620-700 mah.

So maybe 20 minutes in regulation on high. but many hours on low with McE2S. which is the only way to go.

part of my EDC rotation is KL4 head with CR2 mcgizmo and Mce2s , CR2 li-ion

Kl4 on left is easily bright as my PR X3T. so 100+ lumens from a pretty small package.

tw4 cr2.JPG

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I'm in the recent Vital Gear group buy and I can't wait to try out an EDC with one R123 and the KL4. I have tried the KL4 on my Aleph 1 X R123 and it works splendidly.

attowatt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
firefly99 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I get the same runtime as Beamhead said "run on non-rechargables for 3.5-4 hours before dimming and then to 5-5.5 hours with useful low output."

I have heard about the other "mods for the tailcap", but I think you give up the "clickie feature" that the L4 tail cap has; as I use it on my E1E body, with KL4.
In summary I use KL4 with E1E body, and clicky tailcap from L4, with SF123a battery.

Jim

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
attowatt said:
[ QUOTE ]
firefly99 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I get the same runtime as Beamhead said "run on non-rechargables for 3.5-4 hours before dimming and then to 5-5.5 hours with useful low output."

I have heard about the other "mods for the tailcap", but I think you give up the "clickie feature" that the L4 tail cap has; as I use it on my E1E body, with KL4.
In summary I use KL4 with E1E body, and clicky tailcap from L4, with SF123a battery.

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

attowatt, with the runtimes we get I can't see using anything but "primary" cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

firefly99

Enlightened
On the same 123 battery, the runtime as follows :
20 minute - original E1E lamp
3+ hours - KL4 (stop testing after 3am, too sleepy)
Next day battery still going strong, notice the light start to flicker once a while (slightly dimmer), my friend comment that it is still pretty bright for a 1 cell light.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
firefly99
You have got a keeper there.
If ya ever go to sell it drop me a line. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also running it on a single primary cell, you maybe extending the life of the Lux V.(a lot less heat) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif