Firefly show!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Click here.

My wife and I saw this a few years ago--it is truly amazing.
The best place to view tham is at the Elkmont Campground in Tennessee.

The fireflies are synchonized, and there are millions of them! They only live a few weeks, so you need to go around mid-June to see them at their peak.

Plus, you get the fun of testing out some low-power lights!

Bob

Link repaired - Empath

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I would love to see that in person! Fireflies are so neat, and seeing huge numbers of them flashing in unison to form a giant wave must be an incredible sight.

I visited a friend's cabin home in the woods one summer evening, and it was the peak of firefly season, but even so, I saw something that I'd never seen before - a virtual sea of fireflies, thousands of them! Some of them would swarm around me at waist level and then slowly rise to a point a couple of feet above my head, flashing all the way, then they'd drop back down and start over again. It was absolutely magical and breathtaking!

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must say I love fireflies! The chemiluminescent reactions that take place in their abdomen are truely fascinating!! Unbelieveable, the power of Nature!

-tom

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've never seen a firefly; I grew up in Juneau AK., live in Seattle WA., and have been to several cities in California and Oregon during the summer, but fireflies do not live on the west coast, so I've never seen them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
I visited Flint, MI back in the mid-1990s, but that was in February. :/

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It's a special kind of summer pleasure. I hope you get to see them in action someday.

They fly really slowly so they're very easy to catch. It's fun to watch one blinking away while crawling across your hand.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hey if ya all want ill catch some for ya tomrow but i aint sure how to show em to you.and a course i may be to slow to catch em now lol

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
When I was little I used to catch them in the back yard and keep them in jars with holes poked into the lids. Nowadays I wouldn't do that to them but I do occasionally catch one on my hand and watch it until it takes off.

Their "takeoff" is interesting. They suddenly start buzzing their wings but they don't take off instantly; they'll sit on your hand for a half-second with their wings going furiously, then they'll suddenly lift off. It's as if they actually have to push off in order to get airborne.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
perhaps it is something on are skin that weighs em down phton they sure are neat