Need ideas for Plants in very Wet Soil

jtice

Flashaholic
I have a very wet patch in my yard, that never seems to dry, and is hard to mow.
So I am thinking of planting some cool plants there that like wet land.

These need to be plants that like wet soil, and all day sunlight, and need to survive winters.

Thanks alot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

~John

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are we perhaps talking trees too? I know Bald Cypress trees love water. We mistakenly put one in my front yard. It hasnt done much at all in the past two or three years its been there. But here just in the past month or two, we have left the hose on a slow drip day and night and it has grown like crazy! So look into that if theirs some light too.

Apparently 'Oleanders' like water, as do 'gardinias.' These are plants that my mom just told me to say, as she is/was a florist.

Hope that helps.

Cameron

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should take a look at bog plants. If you grow these, you might need to replace the existing topsoil with sphagnum peat, or mix peat into the soil. Your agricultural zone in West Virginia isn't too harsh (assuming that you are not on a mountain top), so there will be a pretty wide variety of plants that will survive the winters.

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks for the suggestions Cameron,

Yes, we are talking trees also, but nothing too big.

I am looking for things like Hens and Chichens, Aloe plants, etc. Things with those thick lush water filled leaves.
Not nessisarily flowery things.

jtice

Flashaholic
Nice link Andrew, thanks

Nah, things arent too harsh here, they will get covered over with snow in the winter, but only a couple inches.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
We put some elephant ear type plants in a wet NE facing spot last year. They thrived and even after being incased in ice for about a month (where ice storm ice slid down a roof valley) came back and are growing like mad now. Don't know the actual name of them.

Geoff

jtice

Flashaholic
thanks Geo, though I dont know that searching for "elephant ear plants" is gonna cut it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard that willow trees not only thrive in wet soil, but actually suck so much water up that they are used to dry up soggy places. They also thrive in a variety of climates including where the winters are harsh.

But you could also look into improving the drainage instead of changing the landscaping.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You could also look into a raised bed for that area with some aggregate to help drain off water and then you may have more options than just planting marsh and swamp type plants etc.

jtice

Flashaholic
im not really looking to fix the wet spot, just make use of it, since it stays wet, and makes alittle mess when you mow over it.

Hey, its just less yard to cut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Its about 10 to 15 feet from the house, so I dont think any large trees are a good idea.

So far, the Elephant plant is at the top of my list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Looks pretty cool, and will fill up the area well.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Just a low spot drainage area? Or could it be a small water leak/septic kinda thing.Might matter what you plant (nothing
edible if it's really a septic problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif)
Topper

jtice

Flashaholic
Great links centerfield, thanks!

Tooper, nah, dont think its a problem with septic or anything, theres not standing water there unless it just rained.
Its just alittle lower spot in the yard,,, we are on a huge hilside, not real steep, but the 3 houses above drain alittle down to ours.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Hey, John, since you're outdoors so much, why not pick some native plants while you're out there. They may not have the most attractive flowers, but they sometimes have other interesting features. Do you guys have those fly-eating plants in WV? I saw them in some long-leaf pine forests in NC (wet soil). Pretty neat.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Oh, you just described my backyard. Always wet or semi-wet from being in a "third house down on a hill" thats good.
If you got to grow something why not eat it? Plant rice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif We grow lots of it here. Arkansas used to be the Rice Capitol of the World (might still be I do not know) likes water likes sun; might Hybrid a West Virginia Mountain Rice--Jtice Mountain Rice tastes great and fluffs real nice. Hey you already got a jingle if it works out. Yes stranger things have happened. I think the Elephant ear plants look great not sure if you can eat them.
Topper edit GreenLED I thik the Venus Flytrap just grow wild in NC not sure why.end edit
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several carnivorous plants, including Venus flytraps. Most carnivorous plants grow in climates that are milder than WV (Virginia would be great, though). However, there are anecdotal reports of people keeping them outside in places like southern Ohio without the winter killing them.

There is a northern variety of purple pitcher plant (Sarracenia purpurea purpurea) that will take brutal winters. I've seen some of those in southern Michigan, and I think that they also have a range through New England and parts of Canada.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Oops ,did not intened to confuse anyone, I can buy a Venus Flytrap at Lowes right here in Jonesboro Arkansas What I thought I said or what I meant to say is that they grow wild in one place. North Carolina is where they come from as best as I can remember without doing a internet search.
Thats what I meant sorry if I confused things.
Topper