• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Can QIII tailcap be switched to a "temp on"?

SciPug

Newly Enlightened
Can QIII tailcap be switched to a \"temp on\"?

Hi,

I love CPF. My girlfriend hates you all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway. I just got my QIII. Not having temp on is way more annoying than I thought it would be. Especially since the switch is pretty stiff. Does it ease up over time?

Any chance this is an easy mod to switch it from a temp off switch? I'm guessing if it was I would have found it when I searched the forums.

Thanks!

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can QIII tailcap be switched to a \"temp on\"?

One of the members here was doing Q-III mods which involved changing the switch some six or so months back. You'll have to search for it, as I do'nt have the information immediately at hand. I think it was 4sevens who was doing these, however - the two-stage mod which involved a momentary clickie instead of the current reverse-clickie of the stock Q-III.

NetMage

Enlightened

Actually, most of the easy switch mods currently still have a reverse clicky.

There doesn't appear to be a good part for replacing the switch with momentary on.

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened

I'm using a variation on the aluminum foil tape momentary mod I learned here. The foil tape "wings" kept spreading out and up so they wouldn't fold back down to make contact with the two patches of conductor foil tape connected to the switch contacts, so I use a very small and bouncy spring I just happened to find at home after scouring every thing I have ever accumulated in my entire adult life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I hot glued the spring top to the top of the button of the switch and let the end of the coil at the end of the spring touch one patch of aluminum foil in the mod. When compressed a little, the spring touches the other patch of foil tape and LIGHT IS MADE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I really wish I was set up to show you pics. I know it probably doesn't make any sense without seeing it. Just examine the post I learned from and you may also be inspired!!

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

The guy on Ebay thats been building the Q3 battery extensions is going to make a Pila 168S tube for me with an integral Kroll switch. I could probably talk him into making a run of regular sized tailcaps too if you guys want.

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened

I had my tailcap modified with a resistor and two stage switch so I don't think I want to lose Hi/Lo with the kroll, but that sounds like a definite upgrade from stock.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

Reverse off is not so bad. I find if I mod the switches with the o-ring mod and tighten the tailcap spring some more, the switch is quite easy to press (not as stiff).

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
chevrofreak said:
I could probably talk him into making a run of regular sized tailcaps too if you guys want.

[/ QUOTE ]
Shoot, talk him into making a twistie (a la Arc LS twistie) tailcap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
That would make for a very compact light, and if there really is resistance from the stock tailswitch, it'd be a screamer!
I've had that idea for awhile now, but no way of making it happen...

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didn't say it was for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Latest posts