FYI... These rock in 5 watt

AuroraLite

Enlightened
What xpitxbullx said!

And look at what they have in plan next year and the efficacy at 350ma!!

'The white P3 Z-Power LED has a luminous flux of 250 lm at 1.4 A (5 W), corresponding to 50 lm/W, while the luminous efficacy is 70 lm/W at 350 mA.

SSC plans to produce P3 Z-Power LEDs in May and introduce even brighter power LEDs, with an efficacy of 100 lm/W, in the coming year.'

Imagine hundreds of lumens from one single led... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is that the numbers applies to the hightest performing color, i.e. NOT white. It will be interesting to see the numbers for white and warm white.

Sigbjoern

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lurveleven: The statement specifically refers to the white P3 Z-power LED.

I hope it isn't just a load of hype. Like LuxV white is supposed to be 120 lumens at 5W, but in reality the typical output is closer to 100 lumens. And then there is the interesting bit about "1.4A (5w)". That would put Vf at ~3.6V, which means no diodes in series. This could be the first true single-die 5W diode. I wonder about its lifespan and generated heat. It certainly would be twice as efficient as the best LuxV.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif
I guess it is time to go back to school and learn how to read again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Sigbjoern

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
So using one of these (when/if they get here) run at 700 ma with a 14500 Li-Ion in a MiniMiniMag I should get 150 lumens output for almost an hour. Whohoo, dancing of joy.

Sigbjoern

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang! I want six of those babies in My Tesla-6!

1500 Lumen LED Mag!

DSCN3548.JPG

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steelwolf: if you click the article and read it, it says these have 8 dies in them. That means they are all in parallel, and getting 175ma per die. And each die must make ~30lumens each at that drive level, which is impressive in itself. The luxeon K2 will be the first true single die led to run at ~5w or more.. the Red/amber luxIII runs at 4.2watts...

Nikola: it may not throw far with the large emitting area from the mulitple die's, but it would be like a car headlight or 500watt halogen flood light!!

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had another look at the article. The statement about the eight chips is probably what you interpreted it to be. I didn't quite understand what they were talking about, thinking that perhaps that was the number of colours.

Anyway, eight separate dies comes back to the same problem that the LuxV has, doesn't it? You hope that the current is shared equally among the eight dies, but you can bet that some are going to run hotter than others. The resultant thermal runaway could cause a cascading effect and blow up the remaining dies. But let's wait and see, shall we?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, same problems as luxV, same problems trying to focus it or worse! I think for the most part if the parts are run in spec than you don't have to worry about thermal run away because they can get them pretty close...

All these tri- and quad-lux mods have the emitters in parallel, DD and as long as you use the same bin the tolerances are pretty close and one doesn't go poof....

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
These aren't actually available right now - the chips actually only have 4 dies as well, all wired in parallel - they have the P1 series available (square led), but when I was asking about the actual flux bins the listed flux levels are all the maximum bins, not typical - typical for these parts ranges in about the same as the Luxeon V for the 5 watt (V/W), S/T for the 2.5 watt and Q/R for the 1 watt... nice that it is still 3-4 volt vf though! They didn't have an ETA as to when the P3 (lambertian) version of the 5 watt would be available though.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. So when the lambertian 5W is avalible then they would be good to use inplace of a LuxV when you don't have high enough voltage avalible. So you could technically make a 5W sandwich using a BB1000/1500 and run it off of 3v...