Star Wars (what they did/didn't do) (poll)

How satisfied are you with your U2?

• The Phantom Menace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Attack of the Clones

• Revenge of the Sith

• A new hope

• The empire strikes back

• Return of the Jedi

• Total voters

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Star Wars (what they did/didn\'t do) (poll)

This post is for general star wars rants. There are inconsistancies in the movie and some things I couldn't figure out. Please post your own ideas or problems with the series.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Star Wars (why they did/didn\'t) (poll)

Well, for one, no flashlights. Not even a dark cave to light up with special 'force' flashlight or something. Oh well.

Did anyone notice that it took the same amount of time to kill off all the jedi knights compared to a single conversation between Padme and Anakin? A little hurried, don't you think?

I'm glad they finally showed the transformation of Darth Vader. I waited 18 years to see that. Reminded me a little of the final scene of LOTR where they throw the ring into the volcano.

TRC

Newly Enlightened
Re: Star Wars (what they did/didn\'t do) (poll)

Without spoiling it for others, didn't where C3PO and R2D2 wound up seem opposite of where they should have been?

I mean, at the beginning of Episode 4 (the 'first' Star Wars) they were with the _wrong person_.

It would have been so easy to do it right, too.

Wasn't anyone making the movie paying attention to the script, and what was supposed to happen in Episode 4?

Rant mode off....sort of.

I will say that Episode 3 did tie up most of the loose ends, and was vastly superior to Episode 1, which IMHO was terrible, and much better than Episode 2, as well. So it's not like it was at all bad.

I clocked the movie at 2 hrs 15 minutes. I wish they had added a few more scenes and really tighened up the plot, and ending. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And for the record, I saw the orininal Star Wars in 1977, and was blown away by it. And NO CGI in it! Amazing what they could do with what was abailable at the time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Overall, I thought the the newest one was pretty good (certainly better than 1 and 2), but the biggest problem I had was with Yoda. I really am dissapointed in the CGI. Yoda looked so fake I wanted to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif. Honestly, the plastic/rubber puppet they used in the 70s looked much better. I can see why they used it for when he fought, obviously, but when he's sitting in a chair or something along those lines, the puppet from the 70s looks more realistic (well, it technically is) IMHO.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast

The fight scenes were disappointing. All Anakin did was tell Dookoo he was twice as powerful as when they fought the last time and Dookoo started fighting like an amateur. As for Mace Windu, I think they could have been more creative in killing him. A master jedi dead from falling off a building. Duh.

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened

I actually didn't like ep3 on first viewing, probably because i was simply being too critical. On second viewing, i decided to take it in without bias, and thoroughly enjoyed it, definitely better than the first two. I don't think the Prequel Trilogy will ever be comparable to the Original Trilogy, but that's probably because the Original Trilogy has been around for so long and has kinda become legendary.

CPFMan

Newly Enlightened

Actually, I prefer if George started with 7,8,9 episodes. And leave ep 1,2,3 out. Why? imho. I think it kinda destroys the imagination we have with ep. 1. ex: Kenobi telling the story to Luke about his father's lightsaber and the clone wars. We don't know how it looks like. We have to use our imagination about that great battle, etc. It's like reading a book. It's all left to the imagination. That's what makes a book or movie great.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just saw it today and enjoyed it for the most part. The boy/girl scenes were a bit slow. The overall story line is a bit of a downer but it has to be to explain what is happening. I was glad to see how Darth Vader got started, and how Luke and Princess L. got to be where they were, and how ObiWan and Yoda ended up out in the boonies.

The first 3 movies (episodes 4-6) were different for several reasons- first they were groundbreaking scifi movies. Second they had characters that were easy for people to like and root for.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is still a lot of ground to cover.
Like for instance;

Luke and Leia growing up.
Han Solo hooking up with Chewbacca.
The imperial senate about to meet it's gruesome end.
Something happened to Watto.
Jabba the Hut gets his little vile gang together.
The Death Star is still being built.
Rebel spies are infiltrating the empire and are about to observe and report on the Death Star at any time.
Did the good, Anakin S. part of Vader know and fail to report the spies activity to Palpatine?
The Jawas are cashing in on some of the junk remnants of the old droid army.

A ton of stuff remains ready and available to cover in another movie if G. Lucas ever wants to go there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Geologist

Enlightened

**Some spoilers**
Regarding where the droids were at the end of EP III, they
were in the correct place. The senator who adopted Leia has the droids. At the beginning of New Hope, Leia sticks the msg to ObiWan in R2D2, then the droids jump ship and wind up on Tatoonoonie (spelling is most likely wrong but I like it).

I have ONE question, what was Padame's last words? I did not understand what she said.

I saw the original in the theater back in 1977, and it is interesting all these years later, how these movies have affected much of modern culture. I was amazed how many middle-aged people were at the theater watching it ALONE - most likely not wanting to be disturbed by children or those who did not understand a life long closet SCIFI addiction... This final episode gave everything surrounding the story a bit of closure - not just the characters in the story, but also for many fans who have been watching this tale for many years.

Lucas said that of the "backstory" that was written to support the original 3 movies, 60% was Episode III and the other 40% was split into Episode I & II - that is why there is a lot of filler sequences in the first 2 movies (or "jazz riffs" as Lucas calls them). If I had my way, Episodes I&II would have been combined, and then Episode III, and then Episode III.1 that would cover the inbetween as another poster in this thread has mentioned.

All in all I liked episode III a lot!

Geo

PS and they finally cut out JarJarHead's tongue!

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast

I quite liked Ep.3. I second Geo's point about combining Ep.1 & 2, but I'm not sure there would have been enough main plot to make Ep.3.1 worthwhile. Ep3 could have been lengthened over 2 movies so that it didn't seem so rushed and part of Ep2 could have been combine with the first part of Ep3 with the rest going to Ep1 to drive it along, but I guess there was a need for the movie line to break where it did so that Anakin could spend a few years recovering and growing strong enough to defeat Dooku. Also, I guess they needed time for the Clone War to occur without filling the screen with thousands of expensive but pointless battle scenes. Besides, we would have gotten so tired of seeing Temeura Morrison's head that we would probably have welcomed Jar Jar back in to a talking role. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not sure if anyone picked up on the fight scene that Anakin had with Dooku. Certainly none of the reviews and spoilers I've read made mention of it. It mirrored almost perfectly the fight scene between Vader and Luke in Return of the Jedi. The room was similarly set up with the chair and the big window to the spacescape (I'll almost swear it's the same chair). Palpatine sitting on the chair, motionless but obviously enjoying the fight. Even the fighting was styled in a similar fashion. None of this new-fangled jumping around, high-energy, gong-fu styled fighting. Closer to the stately thrashing of great broadswords that we saw in Ep.6. I loved it.

I also loved the way my friend described Mace Windu's final action as a bit of an overkill. He could have stabbed Palpatine with his lightsaber instead of going for the great, big, extremely clumsy overhead stroke. Kill Palpatine with a nice smooth stroke the way Darth Maul killed Qui'gon. That big overhead stroke was overkill and it broadcast his intentions to everyone, not least of all Anakin, whom he already said he didn't trust. Quite a dumb move for someone who is supposedly greatly skilled in all the Jedi arts.

Other things to rant about... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anakin could not possibly have known about and therefore practise those exercises that Yoda had Obiwan do to "come back from the other side". So he should not have appeared with Yoda and Obiwan during the celebrations in Ep6. I thought "coming back" was only possible if you had time to prepare for your death, the way Obiwan and Yoda did. Anakin as Vader had time to prepare as his suit conked out on him, so that would have jibed.

Talking about Anakin, technology was at its peak, he had the finest surgeons in the galaxy and he ended up with a skeletal arm. Luke was in a hospital ship with a ragtag bunch of rebel fighters who have been running all over the galaxy fleeing the empire in aging ships (the Tantive IV would have been at least 18 years old by that stage, unless that ship we saw in Ep3 was the original Tantive) and he manages to get a life-like hand. Anakin really needed to find himself a better health provider. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And also, what's with General Grevious? Did he get that name because he was greviously hurt and had to be put in to that half-baked machine body that was so hopeless that it couldn't cure his constant hacking cough?

Finally, don't you just love the way the Sith lords are named? With the exception of Vader, the rest have really crappy names. Plagus, Maul, Sidius, Dooku. Next one will be called Bile or Gnashus.

OK. Enough ranting for now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ep3... IMHO still the best of the new trilogy, probably the 3rd best in the entire series after A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

More ranting...(spoiler warning)

- Huge battle scenes made nice eye candy but kind of overwhelmed the up close action and dialogue much of the time

- Lots of technical nitpicking but these can be forgiven in the name of dramatization, and many, many other Hollywood movies play loose with technical facts, martial arts, etc.

- My biggest disappointment - which was what I had thought wouldn't work well from the time Lucas first announced his intention of doing I, II and III - was the basic transition of Anakin into evil Darth Vader. Ani goes from "I'm worried about my wife" to an "oops" with Mace Windu, to murduring a bunch of helpless children personally by hand in like 2 minutes. Kind of abrupt, I thought.

And by the way, if this is the backstory, then it puts Episode VI in a different light entirely. If Anakin did this, then he didn't deserve to be saved and returned to the good side of the force by Luke. He deserved to burn in Hell forever, and Luke did a great injustice to the parents of those murdered children in his misguided actions trying to save such a monster. Don't know what the writers were thinking with that scene...

OK, rant mode off.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing I thought could have been done better was when Anakin's wife discovered he had changed over to evil.

I kinda expected a rougher domestic dispute like the ones I have seen in real life guarding apartment complexes in rough areas.
Stuff like yelling, screaming, breaking through a door, or two, stuff getting thrown around.
This would be where Obiwan *finally* gets the message that his dear friend Anakin is indeed a lost cause at that point and *IS* a sith.
But instead this part of the movie almost put me to sleep, only to be re-awakend by the following light saber duel between Vader and Obiwan.
It was GREAT!

*spoiler*
Obiwan is the reason why Darth Vader ended up needing all that machinery and evil outfit to live, while Luke and Leia grew up.
Obiwan really messed him up bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

***Spoilers below***

I thought the first part of the sword fight between Anankin and Obi was how lightsaber battles should look, fierce, and fast. Although Obi's Superman stance on the ship when Anankin sees him was a bit much. The Frankenstein stumble that Vader did getting off the platform in his new suit was a bit much as well as the all too disappointing "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO". The book explains this stuff so much better. Like the end of the Sidious/Yoda fight. The place was supposed to be swarmed by clone troopers after Yoda hit the floor, that's why he left.

If anyone hasn't seen it the Clone Wars cartoon series explains some stuff such as why Grevious has a cough.