Happy Memorial Day!!!

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, happy Memorial Day.

I will be spending my Memorial Day at the U.S. memorial at the grave yard here in Norway on Memorial Day to honor the U.S. soldiers that lost there lives in WWII.

Doug

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The local American Legion Post has an annual fish fry on Flag Day that's free to the public, so this is an annual ritual for me. They always collect donations on the Saturday before Memorial Day, so I swing by their roadblock, then pick up a new flag. I always put a new flag up on Memorial Day, as a quiet way to show my gratitude. The old one is properly folded, and waits for Flag Day to arrive for proper disposal.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every year, a week before Memorial Day, we buy 5 - 10 Buddy Poppies and wear them. The extras are hung from the rearview mirror and wired to our bikes and stay there till they fall off.

Not many people display poppies as was common in the 50's & 60's.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a poem that I found in my Dad's personal effects as we were cleaning up the family home after he died last year (WWII vet, 82 Airborne, Radio Man, in Holland and the Battle of the Bulge (among others)...

I believe my father wrote this poem as multiple small strokes started taking their toll a hand full of years ago.

To all of our vets and their families...
[ QUOTE ]

Been some years
and buckets of tears,
shed for friends long gone.

We remember a sad, sad song
of war with its horrid cost,
so many friends that we have lost.

We are old and bald or grey,
And pray that nevermore
will fate be ever remembered
by death upon the moor.

-RRB

[/ QUOTE ]

We read it at his memorial last weekend.

Peace
-Bill

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll probably be sleeping through most of it. I'm the duty driver for the med hold company and it's a 24 hour duty starting at 0600 tomorrow and ending at 0600 Monday. Add to that the tiredness and naseau from the radiation treatment, and I'm not planning on doing much.
When I lived in the DC area, I used to go to Arlington every year.
I'm don't even know if there is anything planned on post for it. I'm sure that there has to be something going on, but I haven't heard. It's cool that the local water park (Wild Waves near Tacoma, and it's actually hot and dry) is having free tickets for military, and Home Depot is giving a 10% discount this weekend.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
This time it's a little closer to home. There was a fellow who lived just blocks from here who was recently killed in the middle east.

Memorial Day is not only for our war dead; it is for the living, lest we not forget the terrible cost of freedom.

Anyway have a solemn and meaningful Memorial Day.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
happy memorial day everyone.i like seeing all the flags.i have much respect and graitude to are vertrens and people who are serveing now

Topper

Flashaholic*
I watch the movie "to hell and back" Audie Murphy plays himself a real deal Hero most decorated American in WWII
as well as Sgt.York also a real deal Hero (WWI)but Gary Cooper plays his part in the movie. I got both on VHS and love them.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i like audie murphy my dad told me about him .he is one hell of a man and short like me lol..i will look for that movie

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Went to our local Memorial Day parade and observance this morning. It was a nice ceremony and they honored someone from our neighborhood who was killed in Baghdad last week.

But during the parade, in the midst of all of the veterans, scout troops and LEOs marching, I saw one chick who was YAMMERING ON HER CELL PHONE while marching in the parade!

Man, I wanted so badly to pull her out of the line and give her an atomic wedgie for her disrespect. It might've even been an improvement in her presentation.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
Every year, a week before Memorial Day, we buy 5 - 10 Buddy Poppies and wear them. The extras are hung from the rearview mirror and wired to our bikes and stay there till they fall off.

Not many people display poppies as was common in the 50's & 60's.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can count me in. The local VFW sells them. I keep one at work, right between an American Eagle statue and a NYC skyline picture from pre-9/11.

These are made out of paper. Was that how they were done in the 50's-60's?

Latest posts