Inova T1 lens durability?

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
For the Inova T1 how durable is the lens. the coating and or the physical lense itself. Can it survive a drop with a rock hitting it square in the lens?

If weak, what is it's light capability without the lense?

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
anyone know? I'm itching to order this guy right now if it's durable there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My x5 didn't cut it last night

cslinger

Enlightened
I have two T2s an X03 and a T1 and cannot imagine any of them having any kind of catestrophic failure at the lense without a very healthy dose Mr. Murphy's special magic.

I have carried my T1 lots in pockets with knives, keys and change banging the lense and it doesn't show even a scratch.

Chris

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info. Has anyone found a good holster that is durable nylon and holds the light close to you on a belt?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the lenses (except the x5, which has none) in Inova Products are glass lenses IIRC. Not sure exactly which type, but they are glass. They should be fine inside your pocket banging against change, keys, etc.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC=If I Remember Correctly. You can also find definitions of more acronyms here.

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
if keys and such do not scrach it it should be tough as nails at least for the body compared to my X5 and T2.

cslinger

Enlightened
I have never had a flashlight lense fail. Glass, plastic etc. Now I have had flashlights where I would worry about the lense melting(plastic) but never worried about a lense breaking.

The T1 lense is so small that I would think you would have to apply force, almost purposly, in order to do any real damage.

I don't think a T1 is going to leave you stranded in the dark unless you plan on using it to stop a bullet.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CyByte said:
If weak, what is it's light capability without the lense?

[/ QUOTE ]

No difference. The outer glass is just there to protect the TIROS. It doesn't do any focusing.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
My T1 slammed into concrete a while back and while it did sustain significant cosmetic damage (even the stainless steel bezel ring got nicked up and a bit bent) the lense is still flawless and the light works like new. The annodize on Inova's lights isn't as thick as some others, but the build quality and reliablily are rock solid.