Maglite T.V. Commercials

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Anybody seen these yet? Just saw 2 different ones on A&E network within the last hour. Is this a first for Maglite?

Clint

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I saw one this morning during the Macy's parade. It was the one that opened by soebody remving the reflector and standing the flashlight up on its tial to use like a candle.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Craig,

I saw that one and another with a kid in his room at night pretending he is asleep when his mom opens the door to peek in and check on him. When she shuts the door he pulls out a AA and shines it on the glow-in-the-dark stars stuck to his ceiling to recharge them.

Maybe sales are starting to slump a bit. Could it be the increased interest in LED lights?

Clint

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw one last night where a trucker was doing a walk-around on his rig, checking the locks, the frame, the wheels and tires, and banging the but end of his D cell mag on the tires...why? i don't know. I guess to show how tough the light is.
rolleyes.gif
And as he gets into his truck, he puts the mag into a hanging holster...probably a charger. So the light could be a D cell mag or a mag-charger.

I roll my eyes becuase i've had several maglights break on me.

anyway...i think this is a first for maglight. I'm a 20 year old who grew up with TV...literally....and i've never seen a mag commercial. I find it kinda awkard seing a flashlight being advertized on TV.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEDagent:
[QB].......
.........QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LEDagent, could you please give details of the breakages, with the model types ?

Re: the TV commercials, I found a site about a year ago which had some downloadable video ads. They seemed old fashioned, so I think they were older than that. Or maybe they just made old-style commercials.

lightlover
smile.gif

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I have seen mag light commercials in previous years, but only around x-mas. Not like the ones you guys have described though.

Doug

Enlightened
Tire banging... If I remember correctly, when you strike a tire, the pitch is different based on the amount of pressure in the tire. So, 30 PSI sounds different than 20 PSI ... try it... use the same object to strike the tires each time, so that the object isn't the change in the sound...

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEDagent:
I saw one last night where a trucker was doing a walk-around on his rig, checking the locks, the frame, the wheels and tires, and banging the but end of his D cell mag on the tires...why? i don't know. I guess to show how tough the light is.
rolleyes.gif
And as he gets into his truck, he puts the mag into a hanging holster...probably a charger. So the light could be a D cell mag or a mag-charger.

anyway...i think this is a first for maglight. I'm a 20 year old who grew up with TV...literally....and i've never seen a mag commercial. I find it kinda awkard seing a flashlight being advertized on TV.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

anyway...i think this is a first for maglight. I'm a 20 year old who grew up with TV...literally....and i've never seen a mag commercial.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every year around this time I see short, 15 second spots for Mag-Lites. Something like "The Mag Lite Flashlight... makes a great holiday gift" or some such hooey.
The color anodized ones in various sizes are all shown standing upright against a black or dark background, projecting phoney, moving/shimmering beams into the air.

SCOTT THE BADGER

Newly Enlightened
The driver would have been "thumping" his tires. If a tire is under inflated, the objet used to strike the tire will not rebound, and the sound will be flat. Truck tires are inflated to around 90-115 PSI depending on the size of the truck. It is very important to check the tires, as if one of the inside duals is flat, it will drag, rather than roll, and will soon catch fire from friction heating. Low pressure, of course, also affects handleing, and fuel economy.

WaltH

Enlightened
I saw the commercial last night. Thought they were pretty cool. I've moved on to LED's and SF's but will always have a special place in my heart for the Mag's. Bought a couple AA's for my kids for Christmas as a matter of fact (9 and 7). I remember as a kid getting the super cheap flashlights for gifts. Like the single AA with a really thin metal body and red plastic lid. Didn't work very well but was still a source of light. Wish they would have had the Mags then. But if they had...what would my addiction have progressed to by now.
Bottom line...Mags still have a very big place in the world. I hope they introduce something new and cool for 02.

Happy Thanksgiving

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa...i didn't know that about truck tires...no wonder i see people kick there tires sometimes. Cool. And i just remembered that i DID see Mag commercials in the past, but they were always for the mini-mag series, gift wrapped and in there special boxes that i never see in stores.
grin.gif

...speaking of gifts, i just bought a flashlight for a friend. It was a hard decision to make as to what kind of torch i'd get her. I was about to get her an E1 becuase she was soooo intrigued by my E2 - But i didnt have 50 dollars to spend
rolleyes.gif
. So i got her a Princeton Tec Rage. I wanted to get her the LED version, the Attitude, but i don't think it's bright eneogh for the typical flashlight user.I hope she likes the Rage, i know i do. I tried it out before i wrapped it and BOY is that thing BRIGHT! It's brighter than any mini-mag, and i'm sure it brighter than a 4D Mag. Oh well...Just my 2 cents.

Remember everyone, we are entering the holiday season, put your flashlight purchases on hold and remember that there are other people that want gifts other than you....i know i almost forgot
grin.gif
grin.gif

(note to self - stop buying flashlights *for a while*)
grin.gif
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I saw that one and another with a kid in his room at night pretending he is asleep when his mom opens the door to peek in and check on him. When she shuts the door he pulls out a AA and shines it on the glow-in-the-dark stars stuck to his ceiling to recharge them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was a battery commercial.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VictorC88:
That was a battery commercial.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No...i just saw that commercial 2 minutes ago on TNN while watching the Star Trek marathon
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

It's for maglight.

P.S. Where do you get those Star Trek flashlights? They ain't too bright, but they look really cool. (like the folding LED light)

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
P.S. Where do you get those Star Trek flashlights?

Which ones? The funny little cube shape ones like used occasionally in Next Gen, or the arm-mounted double bulb ones like in Voyager, etc? I have no idea about the cubes, probably a custom made prop, but I always thought those double-bulb arm ones were modified CatEye halogen bike lights, though I might be wrong. We aren`t lucky enough to get StarTrek marathons here, though currently we do get Voyager and N.G. on a Tuseday, and a different N.G. again on Wensday, which is pretty good going
smile.gif

tongue.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

shocked.gif
They out to show (in the Maglight commercials) someone beating the snot out of a mugger - proving the maglight has at least one useful attiribute!
shocked.gif

Newly Enlightened
shocked.gif
Hey that's no crap about hitting people with a maglight - just ask any cop if they've ever had to bust a head or two ..
shocked.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
P.S. Where do you get those Star Trek flashlights?

Which ones? The funny little cube shape ones like used occasionally in Next Gen

tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The closest thing I've seen to those is the type of torch that LEDCorp uses to make its Belt Light.
Someone gave me a link to the original (incandescent) version of this light, but I have no idea what the URL is or which of several thousand e-mails it's in.

I think First Alert made a light like that at one time as well. One of those $8 jobs you could find at any multi-purpose store (Fred Meyers, K-mart, etc.).

Latest posts