I'm back! And 3 lights travelled with me..

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I\'m back! And 3 lights travelled with me..

Yes, I missed you folks. The voices of sanity that keep me sane amidst the madness in this world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

It's good to be back.

So what kept me sane on the long road? Three lights, two of which are my usual EDCs. KL1-3rdgen on an E1e power pack, U2, and a 6P with P61.

No, I was not harassed or even spoken to by airport security. Nobody said anything about the lights. Of course I had to remember to take them off and put them in my bag first, don't run them thru the metal detector.

I had some real quality dark to play with, as opposed to my usual, extremely brightly lit concrete jungle. For once, there were actually NO streetlamps on most of the roads. The KL1 was shockingly bright, and surprisingly, it felt like the day I first got my E1e. I was going "this is incredibly bright". The difference is that 2 weeks ago, 'incredibly bright' meant a 900 lumen light. Now I'm doing that to a KL1. It was the real workhorse of the trip, handling just about all indoor lighting work.

The U2 on the other hand was incredible. Level 1 is perfect for navigating in a darkened plane so you don't step on fellow passengers by accident, and it's not bright enough that they decide to mob you for waking all of them up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lanyards are an absolute must. The U2 was tied to my belt most of the time and there is a lot to be said about that kind of peace of mind. I believe it was saved more than once by that lanyard too.

Outdoors, I learned to love the incandescents again. The KL1 is a short range light, the U2 is a short to medium, the P61 is a medium. (Long would have been a Turbohead/equivalent). I don't need Turbohead levels of throw, so the P61 was perfect to punch through the darkness. The U2 is tremendously useful as an area flood when you need to see a large area all at once, the P61 is the thrower to spotlight something at a distance when you don't want to illuminate everything else. The U2 is still more of a flood. Not that LEDs can't throw, but this LED isn't designed to.

Operating an incandescent vs a LED in total darkness compared to those two under sodium vapor streetlamps is a completely different story. I mentioned I compared a P90 vs the U2 under streetlamps and both seemed to have the same throw, both equally visible at a distance. The equation changes completely in darkness, the P61 has very much more obvious throw.

I'm aware that much has been said about LED vs incan and all, and to be honest, I'm starting to realize there is no perfect solution. I am not slamming either technology, and it would not help me to be biased either because now I realize that in the field I would greatly appreciate having both depending on what I need to look at - whether to floodlight a darkened street (U2) so I don't crash into something while trying to park (cars need brighter lights on their rear) or cut through the darkness with an incan.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Re: I\'m back! And 3 lights travelled with me..

Cool - it is nice that you were able to take and use several lights in a "different" environment.

I built a 3D M*g DD with an UX1L (light saber) for my neighbor and he took it with him when he went to Colorado. Although he and others in the group were MOST impressed with the trow of the "U" in a M*g reflector, he said it was WAY too bright for walking trails, something that being in the city I have not "noticed" before. I would expect that an U2 would be nearly ideal for dark trails as its medium range and adjustability would match anything in front of you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Will

cognitivefun

Enlightened

Very nice post.

I travel quite a bit. Last week I carried my L4 with 2-stage McGizmo switch, my Aleph 2 1 X R123, and my (new style) L1. I had a headlamp in the suitcase.

I am seriously considering that next time on the plane I will carry my PT Aurora and put it in the seatpocket for use reading. I notice that the reading lights are out more and more often these days, and even if they are not, they do not provide the light I really like to have while reading.

I do think a good thrower is essential. Another virtue of the A2 -- dang, I wish this ran on rechargables! The A2 could be my "does everything" light but I am hooked on rechargables for environmental and practical reasons, so it doesn't see the amount of use that it really should.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm thinking about an A2, too. Even though it doesn't meet my criteria of being able to run on both rechargeables and primaries.

One of the things I did was eschew the charger - instead of lugging a huge Maha with me while trying to travel light, I loaded the U2 with an 18650, the idea being that I'd have some 'free' light, use it up if necessary and then switch back to primary cells in my SC1. I hate carrying chargers!

I flew a few different planes, but the one that really caught my eye was a newer Airbus with LED lighting. In one of the fixtures, I saw a cluster of (estimated) two dozen 5mm LEDs. These LEDs were warm white - definitely *NOT* the 'perfect' whit we have come to expect (yes, I confess to being an occasional whitewall hunter too). In the center of the cluster were two blue 5mm LEDs to 'whiten' it up a bit.

.. are 5mm's even available in warm white? I have no idea whether they are, but like I said, the beams of my KL1/U2 were definitely much whiter.

Now I see why people like throw. At home, outdoors is so well lit with bajillion lumens from the streetlamps, that I hardly need a light except to poke holes in the shadows. When there is minimal ambient lighting, throw is great. It is also nice to have a focused beam to point where you want.

The U2 is truly the ultimate walking light. The KL1-3G does a great job, cutting a wide path for me (3rd gen, with NX05 and area flood beam) up 20-30ft ahead. The U2 of course, with its variable power, has much greater reach, and variable power.

There IS one good use for candlepower vs lumens - candlepower measures spot intensity, which, if reflected at you, is the one that will blind you. For example, I have lights with much higher lumen ratings, but it's the ones with the brighter hotspots that tend to blind me from the reflections. The Mag has an extremely tight spot with a Lux3. For example, my Roar of the Pelican has 900 lumens but a broader beam, the reflection is not as harsh on the eyes as my Mag2HID (350-400 effective lumens) with its extremely concentrated laser-like center hotspot.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've found the U2 to be an excellent trail walking light too. Mostly on the lowest or second lowest setting. And in real darknes, it puts up quite a wall of light that illuminates things about as far away as you would care for.

But, for trail walking, a headlight is even more useful to keep both hands free. Wouldn't it be nice if there were a headband made that could hold a U2 securely on top of the head, yet have an easy release to take it hand held?

For casual use, when extended runtime or ultimate brightness isn't likely to be needed, an Aleph2/NG700/R123 is the perfect light for me. It has almost exactly the same beam character as a U2, and can be diffused even more for reading by slipping the FO4 beamshaper on the bezel. And its easy to carry: the most useful light is the one that you have with you.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Kevin,

A quick question. Did you have to resort to primaries in the U2, or did the 18650 last the whole trip?

Tom

GadgetTravel

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
cognitivefun said:
Very nice post.

I travel quite a bit. Last week I carried my L4 with 2-stage McGizmo switch, my Aleph 2 1 X R123, and my (new style) L1. I had a headlamp in the suitcase.

I am seriously considering that next time on the plane I will carry my PT Aurora and put it in the seatpocket for use reading. I notice that the reading lights are out more and more often these days, and even if they are not, they do not provide the light I really like to have while reading.

I do think a good thrower is essential. Another virtue of the A2 -- dang, I wish this ran on rechargables! The A2 could be my "does everything" light but I am hooked on rechargables for environmental and practical reasons, so it doesn't see the amount of use that it really should.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, still trying to catch up here. Does this mean the L4 and L1 run on rechargeables? Thanks.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

When that headband becomes available, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif

Now, I wasn't camping or anything, not an option at all, so the lights were typically used for wandering around in darkened hotel rooms (so much easier and nicer than fumbling with unfamiliar light switches), finding darkened buildings in late evening, and didn't see intensive use. The U2's cell is still above 4V, it was 4.21 when I pulled it off the charger the day I left.

I agree with wasBlinded, the small lights are very handy, that's why the KL1 shared a bit more than half the work with the U2. I usually leave the U2 on level 6, using the KL1 for an 'immediate' level 3 equivalent without needing to adjust it. If I only could carry one light it would be the U2 and I'd dial it down to 3, but it was good to have another option.

My L4 runs on rechargeables - one 17670 or Pila 168S cell.

G35

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]

No, I was not harassed or even spoken to by airport security. Nobody said anything about the lights. Of course I had to remember to take them off and put them in my bag first, don't run them thru the metal detector.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHY <<don't run them thru the metal detector>>??? Please help. I am going on a trip in a few days, and I will be carrying my new U2. Can I pass my U2 thru along with my wallet and keys in the little tray thru the xray machine ?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Saw your other thread and posted a reply there, but I'll summarize - don't carry any metal through the walk-thru metal detector (the doorframe thing). A few beeps later and they will ask that you empty it all out and put it in the tray.

Tray is fine, I usually put it in my carry-on bag so I only have to pick up one bag (instead of all my stuff plus bag) as it comes out of the X-ray machine.

The lights will be fine, no way will the X-ray put out enough energy to damage them. If it does.. it'll fry lots of other things before the lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Wear a smile, talk to them nicely, don't carry anything they don't want to see (NO sharp objects - I know this is conservative but better be safe), don't do anything silly and everything will be fine.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool KevinL! I will be traveling to HK/China in less than two weeks and I purchased a SF U2 just for this trip, my L2 is good, but low mode really isn't low enough for me, so I went out and bought a U2 LOL. My SF M6 will stay at home though, no way am I going to bring so much stuff with me and I seriously don't want to lose the M6. I'm going to lock it away somewhere, probably a safe deposit box, lol.

My U2 didn't come with a lanyard, did yours come with one? I am probably just gonna use the one that came with my L2.

So its basically just gonna be three lights with me, U2 as main, Longbow Micra as back-up, and Arc AAA as a last ditch. Now I'm trying to figure out my battery situation. Should I bring a SC2 or a Pelican 1010 case with 15 CR123's? The trip is going to last for 3 weeks. How is the CR123 market out in HK/China?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

U2's rule. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No lanyard but I borrowed one from my SC1. I ain't losing my U2.

It depends on how much you'll be using your U2, I didn't expect much use on mine, but I brought a SC1 anyway in case I used my P60/P61 a lot. The 61 will go through two cells in 20 minutes!

Level 3 is probably twice the brightness of the L2 on low mode and will last 10 hours on two cells. Level 4 is plenty bright in quality dark and will last 5 hours. It's REALLY funny how out in the field, my lights seem really bright, back home the lights look extremely dim. I just used my E1e+KL1 again last night, exact same light that went on the trip and now to my eyes it looks really dim indoors. Hmm..guess perception plays a big role. The plus side is that the lower levels may turn out to be more useful than planned. I know that in the middle of a darkened room at night, level 1 is a BIG blast of light! (never looked that way to me at home)

If you use your light for a little less than an hour each day on level 4, a SC2 should last you the entire trip. Assuming you have two cells in it, that's 8 cells, for 20 hours of runtime spread across 21 days. Level 3 will double the runtime - 2 hours a day effectively. Beyond that I'd advise you bring a lithium ion charger and half a dozen 18650 cells /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif there are some nice, small 18650 chargers with two bays and overnight charging on B/S/T.

I am very sure you can get CR123s in HK without a problem (many of our HK friends sell on B/S/T), not sure about China, depending on how remote the areas you're travelling to. Developed areas such as big cities, especially those that cater to tourists, will have CR123s (for cameras). Problem is you can basically expect to pay tourist price.

During my own journey (I wasn't in HK/China though) I took note of CR123 prices. Most places that sell film and other things for tourists have them, at US$7 per cell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif I suppose if I was totally desperate, SOL, and NEEDED the light to work, I'd buy some. Supermarkets are a little better, ranging from $4-5.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you. Thought I read somewhere you went to Asia (assumed and made an @$$ out of myself by assuming you went to HK/China.)

I will pack the SC2 and call it a day (or shall I say 3 weeks.) I don't expect to use my lights a LOT, maybe 1/2 hour a day at best, even if that. Plus, level 1 or 2 on my U2 suit me just fine walking around at night (the low outputs, not high levels.)

Hopefully my family has internet out there, LOL. Still want to check CPF every now and then.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

You're welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You're not too far off, I live in Asia all year round, although I'm still quite far from HK/China.

Enjoy your trip and your U2, we look forward to hearing from you!