I recently visited...

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arlington National Cemetary. I was there a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't been in about 40 years and my wife had never been there and it was as I remembered it. If you haven't been, go. Moving does not begin to describe it.

However, I was struck by the fact that during wreath laying ceremonies, and even during the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns, there were people who talked and did not remove their hats. There were a few middle school or high school groups where one or more of the chapperones reminded the kids to take off their hats but the kids immediately got the idea (good for them!), but not a few Bozos. These guys were middle class men in their mid 30's or older. They knew better. I found it hard to take that these guys figured they were above it all. You don't have to be a veteran (and I am not) to understand that the people buried there served their country (or are family members of those who did) and deserve respect, no matter what your beliefs are. So, if even middle school and high school kids get the idea, what's with these morons? Nobody is that important.

During every day, and not just one day a year, pause to pay a little respect for those who deserve it even if you only remember for a moment someone you know (or knew), or to think about why we still need soldiers.

Thanks and a tip of the hat.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I went back in the 70's I was in grade school, even at that age I was moved and impressed with the "changing of the gaurd" my dad was in Nam at that time not sure if it was his first or second tour. Alot of full grown men openly wept
not something I will ever forget.
Topper

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pitiful. Somebody needed a little attitude adjustment, huh? I had to have some words with some of my classmates when I was there years ago; some folks just don't understand respect and what it means. .