What is your favorite NON-white LED?

At a distance of 10-20 ft., does your U2 have a donut beam?

• Infrared (IR)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red

• Orange

• Yellow

• Green-Yellow

• Green

• Aqua/Turquois/Cyan

• Blue

• Purple

• Ultra Violet (UV)

• Total voters

Flashlight Enthusiast
What single color LED is your favorite? I don't mean tint, I mean the REAL color of an LED designed for only one color. An example is a red EverLED.

Me....I like aqua/turquois/cyan best.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting that the more extreme frequencies are currently leading (IR and UV)...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I voted Aqua/Turquois/Cyan but with reservation...

I have a Teal Everled in a Garrity Steel Beam 2AA light. It is the ONLY light source that makes that light tolerable.

That said, I do not like Green light. It screws up the color receptors in my eyes and makes me see pink/red after using the green for a time.

Would anyone care to trade?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like TRUE cyan colored light. Too bad no one has gotten a real 490nm cyan luxeon anytime lately.. After that it would be a r/o luxeon... And then RB/UV tied...

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
Almost anything in the UV range, the shorter the wavelength the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the shortest wavelength one can buy for UV. In what flashlight?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The shortest commercialy available UV LED that I've heard of is at 365nm, which is exactly the wavelength of a blacklight fluorescent tube. They're still too pricey for me to go for them yet, considering that there's no wavelength advantage over a fluorescent, and the common 395nm LEDs work good enough for my typical needs (invisible inks, etc). For serious mineral collecting I still use my trusty dual-wavelength fluorescent mineralight from UVP.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Roithner Lasertechnik has a 350nm UVA LED in a standard 5mm package for just over $41.00 apiece (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif); this is the shortest wavelength commercially available LED that I'm aware of.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do IR flashlights have interesting side effects? I.e. making things glow like UV?

Or is it just heat they radiate?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
Roithner Lasertechnik has a 350nm UVA LED in a standard 5mm package for just over $41.00 apiece (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif); this is the shortest wavelength commercially available LED that I'm aware of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, forgot about them. Hmm, maybe fodder for another keychain light mod in the future!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It's harder for IR to make something glow visibly (other than the specially formulated IR detector cards) because that would require a conversion from a lower frequency (IR) to a higher frequency (visible light) which requires more energy. It works better the other way around, converting from UV (high frequency, high energy) to a lower frequency (visible light). I've never seen IR used to fluoresce such things as invisible inks. It IS pretty useful for IR remote controls and as covert illumination sources for CCD security cameras.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
For looking at, I went with the Cyan (true cyan) but for use, it would be the UV.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
Cyan rocks! Pretty color and intensely bright. Turquoise 5mms are nice too

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, cyan and turquoise are pretty much the same thing - just different names. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I voted for UV, since that is the coolest (or "koolest" or "kewlest") wavelength available. It makes things glow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Red - a good economical emergency light that won't screw up your night vision... rather low-key as well.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does single color LED make some of you feel disoriented? I was walking in the back at night with my turquois/cyan/aqua (whatever color its called) Ever LED + 2D Maglite, and I'm having a heck of a time seeing in 3D. I'm bumping into things I normall see with white light, and have ZERO depth perception. Which color(s) are better at depth percention? For my eyes, the aqua color is no good at this. Yet, as soon as I turn a white LED on, this all goes away. Is red led better at depth perception than aqua?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Red is popular because it preserves night vision. It's not any good for doing detail work or seeing great distances - the lack of any color rendition seems to mess up depth perception as distance increases.

I hear that red also attenuates at a greater rate than shorter wavelengths.