Dorcy "Super 1 Watt" LED light

Mike 161

Newly Enlightened
Dorcy \"Super 1 Watt\" LED light

Anyone have/heard of this light? The model number is 41-4250; it is a 3-D cell aluminum light, bronze in color, with a rubber grip and hexagon anti-roll attachment. It has a push button switch below the head (a la Maglite), and it about the same length as the 3-D ML (but feels lighter), and uses a 1 watt luxeon LED. Anyone know of this light, and have an opinion/review of it? The package says it has a 300 hour run time. It looks interesting, but don't know if it's worth the money. I saw 2 of them at a local Target store ($29.99 each).

P.S. - this is not the black ML look-alike that has been previously reviewed.

Mike

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dorcy \"Super 1 Watt\" LED light

Target huh? I thought they got rid of all their Dorcys...

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know for a fact that Target in AU don't have any Dorcy
products, not even any Led lights of any type.

Mike 161

Newly Enlightened

These lights were the only Dorcy products I saw (everything else were Ray-o-Vac's, ML's [AA and AAA], and some other "off-the-wall" brands). I don't know if these are new products (meaning Target is not dropping Dorcy), or if these have been on the market for awhile and are being phased out (I don't go to Target stores very often). I'm thinking about picking one up before they're gone (if not gone already). I'd never heard/seen one of these before, and I was wondering if anyone had, and if it is worth the $29.95 they're asking for it. It may be a good around the house light.

Mike

wmpwi

Enlightened

I picked up a Dorcy 1 Watt quite a while back and when I saw the thread about Target having them on clearance, I did a hard target (pun intended) search of the 3 stores in our area. I found one left at $12. I bought it and have kept an eye out since. Just yesterday, the same model popped up again, like they changed their minds. Price = $24.95, normal for that flashlight. I have not see the rubberized grip model mentioned in the earlier post.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

They make a 3 d cell one too? I have never seen that. I have the small one that takes 3 aaa batteries. That has to be fairly dim for a d cell light. Of course my 3 watt led drop in makes the dorcey look like a dime store led light.

Agent_K

Newly Enlightened

I picked one up the other day.
Here are a few pics
Dorcy3d.jpg

dorcyvsMag.jpg

dorcy3d_2.jpg

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

looks like it'll be a very easy LuxIII upgrade! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd like to get my hands on one of these. I looked today at Target and they have a peg for it, but it was empty.

It should give really long run time using 3D cells and make a nice emergency light.

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened

I just went out and picked one up. Mine came with a RWAJ star. The output is good for a one watt, and the beam isn't perfect, but has a bright hotspot offcentered in usefull spill.

I measured 4.85v at the led. I took some pics. Who knows how they'll turn out.

EDIT: I swapped out the led with a TXOL. I *think* its brighter, yeah its gotta be brighter, right? I measured the voltage at the led again, got 3.67 this time. That sounds more like what I expected. . .I guess I messed up the first reading somehow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened

Agent K, I just noticed that this was your first post. Way to come in with two barrels blazing! Welcome to CPF. It looks like you've already given up on your wallet.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

RWAJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Premium bin for a 1W!

Weylan

Enlightened

Not to hijack the thread, but I was thinking of puting a group buy together. It looks like I can get these for $23 if any one is interested. It is not listed in the lights I was interested in directly, but since this light looks really easily modable, this might not be a bad light for the price.

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened

I've got some fuzzy pics to share. The first one is the most important difference between this light and a comparable mag mod.

Dorcy's D cell reflector next to a Mag D cell. That's deeeep! After removing and recentering that reflector the beam is very, very nice. I've also put in a TXOL star, mind you. I had to take a picture of nothing but spill to make my cheap camera notice. There is no ambient light in the room.

Here is a shot of the heat sink removed and without the aluminum retaining ring used to hold it down against a lip in the body. Its a little thin. I hope you can make it out, sorry for the unprofessional pics--these are my first posted pics and I'm not used to photographing under magnification. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I took this thing out last night in the mist after a thunderstorm. Much Fun! It was spotting farther away than a kpr112 bulb ran from 3xcr123a in a smaller reflector. I wanted to check it against a big mag, but my neighbors already think I'm weird for always wandering the complex with a light, so I didn't want to trek out with TWO big ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope this helps someone decide whether or not to buy one!

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

thats a nice reflector..
is the Lux DD?

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened

Yes, I'd bet money that it is Direct Drive. I saw one little bulge in the positive connection wire that might have held a resistor, but no circuit board. I've never owned a mag mod, but I've been looking for a cheap one. I wish I had the means to compare this to something with which everyone else is more familiar. I am going to order one of the LedBeam 3xC three watt lights soon and compare. That LedBeam model is also DD.

frooogleman

Banned

The Ledbeam 3C is a great value! I got 2 of them and I'm overwhelmed with the performance and the price. Ebay got them right now with free shipping for father's day. Can't beat that offer!

wquiles

Flashaholic
Detailed pictures of Dorcy Super 1 Watt LED light

Guys (and gals!),

I got one of these Dorcy's today at Target. Here are some pictures:

In pieces:
IMG_0683.JPG

Detail on the star, how it was mounted, and the series resistor used (measured 1.3 ohms after eliminating lead resistance):
IMG_0684.JPG

Actually, I got what I would consider a premium star (RY0K - which I am storing away for a future project):
IMG_0686.JPG

And like others mentioned before, note how thin the heat sink is (measured 1.378 inches diameter with my dial caliper). It just sits on top of the black spacer piece and held in place by the small aluminum ring - very little contact with the body at all:
IMG_0687.JPG

With the right heat sink, there is LOTS of potential. Ideally, a treaded aluminum or copper piece would be GREAT, and then one can put a nice 5 watter in there to take advantage of the nice reflector.

One more thing, the switch is the reverse clickly style. Boy do I hate these !!!

Will