Dorcy AAA to Lux...pics

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Now that I have figured out how to get the anodozing off I decided to use one of my new AAA hosts as a luxeon mod.
After removing the reflector from an extra bezel it can be filed a little so the larger part of the base is more of an angle.
The contact slots on the body have to be lenghtened a little so the board will rest down lower. I use a dremel cut off wheel and increase the slits just a little. I take the contact spring and cut it shorter on the bottom of the circuit board so the extra length is not an issue.
I like using the empty tail cap section as a new bezel to make the light slimmer but the pics give you an idea of how it works.
I used a crappy high dome as a donor here but this method works also well with the standard 5 mm LED and actually only takes about 5 minutes to make. If you use the standard 5 mm LED the slots do not have to be lenghtened near as much and the reflector does not have to have the hole enlarged any.....anyway enjoy the pics.
practice0257nr.jpg

practice0264vq.jpg

practice0277bs.jpg

practice0286iq.jpg

practice0298zg.jpg

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Wow, that looks really cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
I'll send you my shipping adress right away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Is that a LuxI or III?

Robocop

It is a one watt Lux salvaged from an old Golden Gadgets light. The color is kind of creamy but it works well. The AAA circuit drives it well with a lithium AAA and pretty good with an alkaline.
I would like to find a way to run it harder but I can not figure out how to get a heatsink to fit inside this light.
If you keep it at 1.5 volts this circuit does not really give enough kick to get that hot. I have used 3 volts with this board and it gets very hot quickly.
Anyway food for thought and maybe someone else can figure out how to improve this design...all in all it is a quick and fun mod.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robocop, I love reading your modifications for the fact that they are simple yet yield great results. Keep it up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Robocop

Hey Mags thanks for the compliment and I hope you enjoyed this mod.
Myself and fellow member Owen often joke about the fact that I need some real tools and equipment. He always says that if I had a lathe I would be dangerous..hehe
I really would like to venture out and buy some true modding supplies such as better Luxeons,circuit boards,and even a lathe however I get great pleasure from thinking outside the box and making my own simple mods.
Mostly I use my hands and salvaged parts along with a 14 dollar solder gun and sometimes a Dremel tool.
I do enjoy it and get good inspiration from guys like LitFuse,Chop,Mrbulk,tvodrd and several other incredible modders here.
I always wonder how some of the heavy hitters we have here started out....hope you enjoy this little creation.

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened
I love these "you can do it too" posts. I save alot of your posts for when I'm playing with hacking lights. Thank you for taking the time to tell us what you've learned.

Robocop

Thanks HaulinLow....
The best thing about this mod is that the parts are easy to obtain and if you damage the body or bezel you can simply buy another 6 dollar light and replace the external parts.
I have several that I swap out and can change from a luxeon to a single 5mm LED within a few seconds.
As far as weekend modders go this light is incredible and the circuit is very versatile. It sure is not anything like a Peak or an ARC however it works and is a fun,cheap mod to do.