Surefire spare battery holders - without lamp?

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
do the surefire spare battery holders hold the batteries pretty tight without the spare lamp? I don't want it to hold a spare lamp I just want it for the battery holder in my car so if I'm going someplace I plan on using hte light I can take a battery out and put it in my pocket.

W4DIZ

Enlightened
I have the SC1,2 and 3.All of them will hold the batts.
tight with or without the lamps.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an SC3 that holds the batteries pretty tight (4 of them.) There is no evident rattle with or without lamp.

The 3 holders are different. The SC1 and SC2 holds 6 batteries each and the SC3 holds 4. The SC-1 can carry P series lamps, while the SC2 carries the MNXX lamps (pretty much special ops lights that have their own reflector) and the SC3 is designed for the E series lights (and I read it fits the A2 lamp too.)

I would not put bare cells into my pocket, just asking for something to happen. The SC3 is the smallest of the 3.

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
would one battery by itself be ok in a pocket? even if the pocket got wet there shouldn't be contact from any metal I wouldn't think?

I'm just trying to find a good way to carry one spare battery for my flashlight (it will only take 1) that will be the smallest possible solution for a 123A /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The SC1 holds 6 batteries & P60, P61, P90 or P91 lamp assembly.

The SC2 holds 6 batteries and a lamp assembly for a M3, M3T, M4, M6.

The SC3 holds 4 batteries and a lamp assembly for a A2, E2e, E2, E1e, E1. The SC3 is smaller than the SC1 or SC2.

edit: I use a ear plug case to carry 1x123.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
For one cell a APS or 35mm canister with some foam will work too in addition to Hoghead's ear plug case.

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
ear plug case? any links to one of these things? would it be good for opening and closing much or are they only good for a few times?

W4DIZ

Enlightened
You can also buy a cigar in a plastic case.
Just cut it to the length you need and replace the cap.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
CyByte said:
ear plug case? any links to one of these things? would it be good for opening and closing much or are they only good for a few times?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry no link. I get mine free at work. They hold up pretty good.

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
some good ideas here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I ordered a new box of batteries and a surefire SC3 holder. I'll have to stop at a local cigar shop and see what I can find there now.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SC1, SC2, SC3:

P181.jpg

SC1, SC2:
P182.jpg

SC3, SC3:
P183.jpg

The SF123As are retained securely with, or without a Lamp Assembly being stored too.

In fact, I have two SC3's in the rucksack I take to work that don't have spare lamps in them [since I EDC the L2].

Al

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some CR123a fit a little better than others. SF brand fit snuggly and don't fall out when held upsidedown. Batterystation brand has a thinner diameter and though they don't rattle in the carrier, they fall out when the top is removed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
the SC3 looks pocketable in a SHTF scenario.

I have not found any 123A batteries that are cheaper then surefire.com and rated really well. So I'm glad they don't fall out when held upside down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
While there are other threads on the topic of carrying single and multiple 123's (did you do a search?), they seem to boil down to the following:

- do not carry loose 123's (or any battery) in your pocket. Why? They can easily short out against any metal object in your pocket and will get warm. And then hot. And then very hot. And remember what is on the opposite side of the cloth in your pants' pocket. Woooo Woooo! "Mommy, look at that man over there doing that funny dance!"

- Avoid any situation where you can short out batteries. Lithiums can not only get hot, they can go BOOM!

- SF spare carriers are great and not all that expensive. Safe carry of both batteries and lamps (and the lamps are too expensive not to carry in one!).

- Cheap 123 carriers:

-- APS/Advantax film cannisters will carry 2 snuggly and are usually free if you ask for empties at a film processing center. Give a good shake to get the batteries out. Hey, what do you expect for nothing? They do work well, though.
-- Canisters for bottles of nitro tablets (used for heart patients) are perfect for keychain carry of a single 123. I got one for under $5 at RiteAid. They are usually waterproof, too.
-- 2 cells will fit in most plastic match cases. Less than a buck for each case. Available at sporting goods stores, MallWart, etc. They might rattle around, so if you don't want to listen to that, place a bit of foam rubber or styrofoam in the bottom. These are also usually waterproof.
-- Some cigar tubes are the right size. Just avoid the metal ones or else place a piece of electrical tape over the terminals to avoid shorts. Don't use glass tubes if you plan to carry them on you -- snap! ouch!

Hope this helps.

Latest posts