Happy B.D. This_Is_Nascar, Bradlee and me too!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy Birthday, Ray.

Craig Johnson just wished me a happy birthday so I thought I'd send you a shout out. I hope you got the day off.

Obviously, T_I_N and I share the same birthday.

When I was a little kid Memorial Day was always on my birthday. Now that happens only every six years so 2011 will be the next time. Also, Memorial Day was the first day of summer vacation, the pools opened and the Sunday of was the running of the Indianapolis 500.

My dad was an Air Force pilot and a patriotic fellow. I was well aware of the significance of Memorial Day. It was good to celebrate and honor those that fought and died for our freedom. It was a fine thing to be extra happy on that day. I think my pop thought it was kind of cool that his third son was born on Memorial Day.

Here's some other stuff that might be interesting only to me:

I mentioned my dad was a pilot.

Wilbur Wright. Grew up in Dayton, Ohio. Born on a Tuesday, April 16, 1867 - died Memorial Day, May 30, 1912.

My dad grew up in Ohio and was born on Easter Sunday, April 16.

The year following Mr. Wright's birth, General Order Number 11, designated May 30 as Memorial Day. Memorial Day started after the Civil War. Often called Decoration Day, it was the day when families around the nation went to graveyards and placed remembrances upon the graves of those soldiers, North and South, who died in the Civil War.

Here's another one: The first guy to win the Indianapolis 500? His name was Ray.

Probably the only thing people will remember about this year's race is that cute little fireball Danika came in fourth...out of gas.

Have a fine day everyone.

------------

- Jeff

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Happy Birthday This_Is_Nascar...and me too!

Happy birthday Jeff and Ray! Thanks for sharing these thoughts.

verbie

Enlightened
Re: Happy Birthday This_Is_Nascar...and me too!

happy birthday Icebreak and This-is-Nascar!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Bogus1 and verbie.

I see it's Bradlee's birthday too so, Happy Birthday Bradlee!

---------------

- Jeff

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy Birthday guys! Enjoy your holiday as well as your Birthdays.
Icebreak, thanks for sharing the stories. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy Birthday!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Happy Birthday guys and thanks. Jeff, I know what you mean. It was so cool going up as a kid with my BD being on Memorial Day all the time. I always new my BD was only days away, when I'd see those "old' men selling the poppies. I'd always give the guy a buck or two and he'd give me a handful of them. Our town (I've lived here most of my life) would have a MD parade thru the center of town. They'd always have a contest for the best decorated bike. My brother and I would do whatever we could to decorate our bikes. We never won, but it was always neat to do. The last leg of the parade was to launch a small boat into the river (I'm spitting distance from the Delaware) and have a 21-gun solute to honors those who served and died for eyes. It brings tears to my eyes just recalling those days. Yes, call me old, but they were "the good 'ole days".

Happy Birthday Guys.