UNPROTECTED rechargeable CR123 O.K. in Nuwai QIII?

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
Hi all,

can anybody tell me if it safe to use the Batteryspace RCR123 li-ion cells, or similar cells which are unprotected and can deliver up to 4.2 Volts, in the QIII? I won't be putting them in hot off the charger, but only after a day or so.

According to The Ledmuseum rechargeable is all right, and gives a higher output, but these are probably protected cells (3.7 Volts or so)? I already have the cells and charger, but I don't want to damage the led or circuit.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Kees

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: UNPROTECTED rechargeable CR123 O.K. in Nuwai Q

Yes, many of us are using it in our QIII. Long term effects are unknown but short term, they work. You might want to improve heatsinking of the LED.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened

goldserve said:
Yes, many of us are using it in our QIII. Long term effects are unknown but short term, they work. You might want to improve heatsinking of the LED.

Thanks, but how can I do this? I'm afraid I am worthless as an electrician, and not able to do any advanced modding/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif. Probably best to restrict continuous use to 10 minutes at a time?

Kees

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

At the price the QIIIs come in and the cheap prices of luxeons, it probably wouldn't matter. You will shorten the life of the LED by overdriving it but heck =D

DoubleDutch

Enlightened

goldserve,

that's probably the way to look at it. Advancemart has them on sale for $40. I'll go that way, see what happens, and have a lot of fun in the mean time/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif.

Kees

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are lots of deals around the board. I would reconmend eTendue. I think he has them around the ~$35 mark and he'll ship worldwide. Cheers. I've been modding my Q3s and the one I like the most is a micro-processor controlled Q3 (POP-UI-1 and UI-2). Low, high, burst, strobe, and S-O-S /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif On the other hand, the most functional is the dual brightness mod i'm offering for cheap! It's great to have low light and it will increase the runtime of the light.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened

Thanks. To my dissappointment Advancemart won't do business with foreigners, so I think CPF will be the source of some of the lights I'll want to buy. Here in the Netherlands it is very hard to purchase from US based companies. Most of them won't accept credit card payment from abroad. Batteryspace is an exception, and probably Brightguy, but then they don't sell Nuwai and add $50 to each shipment for P&P.

So far I have found only one on line dealer here that has reasonable prices. I ordered a 6P+P91 to go with the Batteryspace cells. Very much looking forward to that. Surefire wouldn't do business with me, but would have been cheaper.

To give you an idea of (retail) prices here: PT40=$40; a spare P90 LA=....$86; SF E2e= $200. Very few shops have decent lights; even a PT40 is hard to get. Now I come to think of it: maybe they think the numbers mean the price! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So, thanks and greetings from flashlight desert wetlands.

Kees

Geologist

Enlightened

I think your prices are out of whack - maybe you should look around in the Netherlands a bit more. Maybe the store you are shopping out has too high prices. You are right though, for most flashlight items, the dealers on CPF will give you a better deal.

If you are interested in buying P90s for $86.00 a piece, I will sell them to you for $80, and include free shipping (make sure to buy at least 10 and I will give you an extra discount /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think Amondotech was having a special of 2 QIIIs for $52, if I remember correctly. I think they ship internationally at a reasonable rate, but check their site. FWIW, I've had excellent experiences with them as a seller.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

DoubleDutch, your post is formated oversize. Can you fix original post and maybe following posts will correct?

Bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

OK, my post is standard width. Page 2 is ok.

Bill

DoubleDutch

Enlightened

thanks for the reactions,

Geologist: don't worry, the retail shops are not the only resource for me; the online dealer Knives&Tools (located in the Netherlands) has much more reasonable prices (but not nearly the choice of e.g. Brightguy). 6P=$75; P91=$37,50. That's more like it, huh? And above a certain price they ship it to me free of charge. I was glad I found it, and ordered my 6P and P91 there.

AFAustin: thanks very much for the link: I already ordered the two QIII's, and it didn't seem to give any problems, I already received confirmation via Email. Thanks. I am thinking of adding goldserve's dual output tailcap.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Kees

Jefff

Enlightened

I am running the un protected SHAN VR123A 650's in mine and they come off so far after 2 cycles at 4.0 volts and I have had no problem with it except a bit of heat on the body after about 5 mins of constant on .. but My GOSH this sucker is bright as all get out.. I am so impressed with this being my first luxeon III light I can't imagine another being any brighter.. I just wish they had them in HA type III coating.. I like it so much I would buy another body in ha3 just so it would hold a good finish and make it my all time favorite for a very long time..

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

DoubleDutch,

I hope you'll enjoy your QIII as much as I did. It was my first Luxeon light and it totally blew away my inova x5. It's so cheap, it's guilt free to use every day. Espeically with R123. I'm afraid to use to nicer lights sometimes like my POP UI with ARC-LS or JIL DD (UP).

DoubleDutch

Enlightened

Thanks to you all for your input. Yes, I think it is quite a step from multi LED lights to Luxeon. Many very good reviews and stories about the Q3 have made it a bit of a legend for me, so I can hardly wait. The RCR123's are getting anxious as well, or could I be imagining that?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

When I receive my lights and have done some experimenting, I'll probably post my experiences (6P+P91 also on the way!)

Kees

NetMage

Enlightened

I think it is AFAustin's link that is too large...

FYI clicking the Edit Link (above right of each post) will let you edit your own posts when logged in.