High end digital camera recommendations

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason I've gotten an itch to upgrade the digital camera I'm using. It's a decent camera for taking somewhat-acceptable pics of lights for posting here, but beyond that may be asking too much of it. May not be ready to commit to a purchase immediately, just working through the huge amount of info available.

It seems that everything I want is diametrically opposed to everything else (just like most good things in life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

On one hand, I like the smaller formfactor of the SD memory cards and that means in a pinch I can pull memory from my PDA and use it with the camera - the 1GB TwinMOS card I have can actually deliver a 6MB/sec write speed when cabled to a computer with USB interface and decent reader. (yes I timed it, I wanted to know if their "Ultra X" super speed thingie was for real).

I too like AA batteries because NiMH are cheap and my Energizer 15 minute charger TOTALLY rocks my boat. No more 90 minute waits for ultra-expensive lithium batteries that I simply can't keep enough of around. The "official" li-ion sells for a price that would buy me 25 Sanyo 2500mAH cells, or enough for six sets (assuming it takes 4AA) and a drink.

On the other hand I want an extremely fast startup time, extremely fast autofocus and extremely fast 'trigger pull' from when I press the button to the time the camera captures the image. I'd want something which performs well in macro shots for the occasions when I need to close in on a Luxeon and at the same time, can handle outdoor shots. And of course, something with all the manual controls but also with a "P" mostly-auto mode for snap shots (Canon owners will know what the P is for).

After a whole day of reading dpreview.com I'm starting to realize that no consumer grade camera will do what I'm looking for. I own the Canon Powershot S40 - great for what it does, but it seems I may soon outgrow what it does well.

Then again, AAs and SD cards tend to be found on tiny little consumer cameras. See what I mean about opposed? I can get them, at low cost, but they seem to offer at best just a tiny incremental upgrade over my S40 and sometimes even a step backwards. Perhaps I should go forwards?

The camera that's currently caught my eye is the Canon EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT. Yes, it's a big step forward. I know I'm about to cross the Great Digital SLR Border and with the learning curve that comes with it. I'm balking at the cost but its performance is everything I'm looking at. HALF-second startup time! Battery life concerns are mitigated by the extremely efficient use of juice. Looks like I'll also have to bite the bullet and go back to CF. The "kit" lens will be important because of cost concerns - I may upgrade, I may not, but one thing is sure I'll be starting off with the kit lens as a stepping stone so it had better be at least acceptable.

Advice/comments/opinions welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for the Rebel XT, you won't regret it.
There was a similar thread here if you missed it.
Waitning for some nice pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, that was the thread that initially inspired me to look at the Canon EOS system. I'm still waffling over the price. It makes all my Surefires look cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

I think I forgot to add a Very Important Point to my first post, specifically the question - are there any other high-end cameras (need not be SLR) that satisfy at least part of my criteria?

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are very welcome.
If you are reluctant on taking the plunge into the big fat SLRs, I would recommend the Ricoh GX. A fine camera indeed. Mind you this is the camera I bought to use on private occasions where the bulky ones I use for work (Nikon D1H, D2Hs, D2x, Canon 1DsMkII etc) are too dang big and heavy.
The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a decent distribution network in North America for Ricohs.
The GX gets decent runtime on AA rechargables (not many shots from alkalines but OK for emergency situations), uses SD memory cards, has macro from 1cm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif, can take 28mm wide shots, has a P mode as well as manual exposure (not as easy to use as SLRs but usable when you want to be creative), a 5.25 mega pixel 1/1.8inch CCD, and under 300$ in Japan. A newer GX8 (upgraded 8.24 MP @ same CCD size) is available for about 420$ but I think the GX should be fine for normal use.
Now your getting confused, right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Please feel free to PM me if you think this is the right digicam for you.

Amorphous

Enlightened
KevinL,

Try the Canon SD400 - 5 Mega Pixels (Not the SD500)
Love the little camera, ultra fast setup time, small, very sharp optics. This power house use the same CPU found in the EOS. Highly recommended small compact camera, small, functional, fast, full feature with movie, use SD memory, Li-Ion battery. The SD500 is the same camera with 7 Mega Pixels, but 20% increase in size comparing with the SD400. The SD400 is beautiful, all the contours, shape, size, weight.. well balanced. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Check it out:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/sd400.html

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Sony DSC-W5 (5 M) or better DSC-W7 (7 M) are nice products. The 2.5" screen is really a good thing for those, like me, who suffer of presbyopia /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I have an old DSC-V1 and bought a W5 for my wife, frankly the W5 is very good and much more quick than the V1. Some manual mode aren't possible on the W5 but it's really a nice product for its price...

PS: I am thinking to acquire a Canon 20D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Because I am an old user of Canon FTB and Canon EOS 650, and I have all the lens from Canon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you can, go directly on this or on the EOS 350D !!

drizzle

Enlightened
Just my two cents...

I've been very happy with my Canon S300. It's outdated now but some of the features look like they carry over to the SD400. The startup time is very fast, it has a sharp lens for such a small camera and it is small! It is also very light, in part, due to the Li-Ion battery.

In fact, that is the one recommendation I would have, is go with Li-Ion. Yes it adds an upfront cost to get a spare but if you're going to hang on to the camera for a while it won't matter too much. The great thing about Li-Ion to me is how small, and especially how light it is.

After all this talk I really want to buy another camera now! One reason I've hung onto this one is that I also bought the waterproof housing made especially for it and it's really hard to justify throwing away that investment. I don't use it often but it's fun for pool parties and snorkeling.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I have been using Olympus exclusively for many many years and am probably on my 8th camera. However, after once again missing many great shots due to the shutter "lag" I bit the big bullet and went with a Nikon D70. It's a big camera! It will take some getting used to, especially with the UW housing I got for it. However, even though I haven't begun the learning curve, I can see some significant advantages over the smaller cameras I have been using. The image alone is quite a statement but what blows me away now is that I could probably get a sequence of shots in a time frame that would preceed the first capture from my other cameras. This is not important for inanimate objects on the bench but out in life, time waits for no one or a shutter for that matter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
I've got a Canon Digital Rebel... it's really a fantastic unit. Easy to use, great bettery live, with a 2 gig card it has tons of storage. Stepping up to SLR is awesome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using SLR's for over 35 years so nothing else seems right to me. I think anyone willing to pay the price, carry a camera or that size and weight, and learn to use it, should have a digital SLR.

Otherwise, I have just completed some research myself and discovered several options that looked very good to me, at prices very much less than a DSLR. These are the Nikon 4800, the Konica-Minolta Z5, the Panasonic DMC-FZ5 (of DMC-FZ20) and the Olympus C-760. Sony has a perhaps comparable model about to come out, and Canon is bringing out a new S2 that looks similar. Most of these use SD cards and AA batteries. They all are superzooms, with long zoom ranges. Even if you aren't interested in long zoom ranges all of these have much better than normal lenses. Several of these have optical stabilization which is helpful for telephoto shots and/or low light shots. After reading reviews and reading comments in online forums, I selected the Panasonic FZ5 for my wife's use, and for my casual use, and it is on the way to us now.

I'm still considering a Nikon D70 for myself for my upcoming birthday. It will depend on how I like using the Panasonic.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Panasonic FZ5 arrived today and is really impressive. It takes detailed photos, and is easy to use but has a lot of features and options. It is missing a couple of features that some people might want (hotshoe and manual focus) but otherwise is very complete.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
nekomane said:
where the bulky ones I use for work (Nikon D1H, D2Hs, D2x, Canon 1DsMkII etc) are too dang big and heavy.

[/ QUOTE ]

been wanting a Nikon D1H or D2X for sometime. how's the performance beside being too heavy?

Been shooting with my old Nikon F, since forever. Just got a Nikon F2. very solid manual cameras.

paulr

Flashaholic
The new Nikon D50 SLR uses SD cards, but not AA cells.

I'd go for an SLR over any type of viewfinder digicam. SLR's were actually built to act like film cameras, in terms of AF speed and shutter lag. Viewfinder digicams are generally built more like camcorders with the video feature missing. They're not thinking about the requirements of still photography.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for helping me think out of the box, that is exactly what I hoped for from this excellent thread. I was initially looking at only a few models but it turns out that there are some real gems amongst the suggestions made here, some of which I wouldn't have thought of on my own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif will keep looking and thinking..

PS: The more I look, the better the Canon DSLR looks..

Now for a stoopid n00b question - is the kit lens on the DRebel XT/350D a motorized or manual zoom?

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Kevin,

Lens are motorized for sure, but the quality depend on the lens you'll buy with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The EFS 17/85 USM is a good lens for everything and has a stabilizer include in the lens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll let you know as soon as I'll receive it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

****EDITED*** Kevin...Ooops, The lens Is autofocus motorized...but not Zoom motorized !! IT's a manual Zoom like some standard SLR lens...Sorry for the mistake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
been wanting a Nikon D1H or D2X for sometime. how's the performance beside being too heavy?

[/ QUOTE ]
The D1H has been a reliable and good camera for the past 2 years for me but it is getting old. Short battery life compared to the current lineup is another turnoff. D2X is great at low ISOs but gets noisier as you go higher. Canon still beats them here.
If you insist on a Nikon, why not get a D70 or the slightly upgraded D70s? Though the build is not as tough as the others, image quality is good or even better.
I'd still recommend an Eos until Nikon gets their act together. Still waiting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

CNTSTPDRMN

Newly Enlightened
I have the Canon Eos 20D and I cannot recommend it more, it's worth the extra $$ I also have the SD 500, it's pretty good when you disable the intelligent auto focus system and use the center focus--- I'ts quite fast, takes super clear pix the video mode is awesome--- prone to red eye, but most small cams are--- Spend the extra on the 20D, you won't be sorry at all, an amazing camera, it's like 35mm, but you can see your pix right away--- There still are many compromises in the XT---

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Just receceived my 20D + 17/85 USM !!!!

Awesome camera...for an old user of EOS 650 and very old FTB from Canon !!!
I will tell you more about it in some weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frenchy, congratulations on your new camera! And thanks for the info about the lens, manual zoom is ok, it might be faster even with my butter fingers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Another question for the photographers here - many of the consumer cameras are using small 1/1.8" sensors. I'm aware that as you pack more pixels into the sensors, image quality degrades - is this a serious problem at 8 megapixels? I get the feeling it might be.

Currently I'm looking really hard at the Ricoh GX that nekomane recommended. I'm wondering whether the 8MP version is useable without excess noise, I took a look at a review of the 5MP version on Shuttertalk and couldn't help but notice that in some of their sample shots (warning big pic), the sky looks a bit 'dirty' to me, actually... VERY dirty, a lot more so than the photos I take with my Canon Powershot S40 (4MP).

The DSLR keeps taunting me.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif it would be a much easier decision if I had the $$!

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinL, good point. The GX's noise (should have mentioned that before) could get noisier with more MPs. I don't have a GX8 for samples but would be happy to send you unedited images from the plain GX if you can tolerate large files. PM where to send and I'll get to work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif