Need advice for GPS unit for Iraq

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
Thank you for the help on the laptop thread!

I am also in need of advice and your Iraq experiences
with commercially available GPS units.

Please e-mail or post your suggestions.

Thank you!

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think it should be a military style unit because the civillian ones will lose some accuracy if they determine that they need to turn Selective Availability back on for tactical reasons.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only place to get a military GPS is the military. Most likely Selective Availability will never be turned back on. First it's being used by too many civillian applications for safety reasons, like civillian aircraft. And it would be pointless since the Russians launched their GPS system years ago. Maybe if they can't afford to keep theirs up and it craps out.
Definately get one that is rugged and has the MGRS, or Military Grid Reference System, the UTM based grid system that military maps use. I am partial to Garmin, but that's probably jsut because that is the brand I started on. Magellan also makes good units. The Garmin Etrex series is a good candidate.

auriga

Newly Enlightened
While it is true that global selective availability is turned off the military can still selectively deny GPS signals on a regional basis.
But if you're looking for a civilian reciever i like the Garmin Geko 201, it's not expensive and have all the features you want. It doesn't have built in maps but it can be connected to a computer.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
auriga said:
While it is true that global selective availability is turned off the military can still selectively deny GPS signals on a regional basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no personal experience with GPS use in Iraq, but if you want a mapping unit, consider the following: I would assume that it will be pretty hard to find detailed GPS maps of Iraq. But it might be possible, so look for those first and what you find will determine the brand of GPS you will need.

Garmin does offer a World Map product that includes major roads and landmarks in Iraq, but no small local roads. That would be better than nothing. You can check it out at www.Garmin.com. The Garmin eTrex series is a good one to consider.

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
Hello!

Thank you all for your assistance and advice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I ended up buying him a Garmin Etrex Legend at REI. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll let you know what he thinks of it.

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif