think people wouild buy homemade hot sauce orjerky

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im thinking a trying to make homemmade hot sauce or beef jerky i wonder if it seems like a good idea i worry about how to keep the jerky and hot sauce to stay freash and healthy.amd if people would even buy it .it cost a lot to make both like it takes 1 lb a meat to make like 3 ounces a jerky also spices and the elkectricty to dehrdrate it.or charcoal if ya use smoker so far it seems like bad idea what do you think

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think it would be rough going at first because you'd have to clear the regulatory hurdles involving food preparation and sales. You're probably looking at multiple gummint agencies to get clearance from, as well as the occasional inspection. Personally I'd stick to non-edible goods.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Re: think people wouild buy homemade hot sauce orj

keep it very small scale and low profile and see how it goes.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

while i'm not sure of the legal implications, i'd love to buy some if you promise to wash your hands! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*

good ideas everyone.yeah i keep a very clean work area.i think hot sauce is the safest beef jerky cured at such a low tempeture scares me. the hot sauce im pretty sure the viager and salt i use to make it will preserve it ill have to read more on it.my sauce is very hotttttttt

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

I knew a guy who had narcolepsy pretty bad. He used to drink tabasco sauce straight out of the bottle instead of using his meds to stay awake. If he hadn't left town a long time ago I'd buy some of your sauce for him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DaFiend

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
cognitivefun said:
keep it very small scale and low profile and see how it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea..... start small. Then franchise! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the best idea I've heard for making extra money is to do some custom mods, mainly upgrading lights such as photons or eternalights to higher grade LEDs.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Yeah, I think that would be pretty easy. Provide a service that others don't have the time or ability to do themselves.

cy

Flashaholic

Lot's of folks would buy what ever you are selling just to help you get started /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Making jerky to sell is a terrible idea, if making a profit is the goal. simply too much costs involved in making. Why would you want to spend $5 to make something that sells for $5.

If you want to sell hot sauce, that's an entirely different. HUGE mark-ups in sauces. BBQ sauces, hot sauces, salad dressings etc, all have large margins. Look at Paul Newman salad dressings.

also large liability if someone gets sick. look at all the extra steps from sanitation, to bottling & labels. How are you going to do all that without transportation and decent capitalization?

Much safer to go with items already mentioned. If goal is to make a few bucks, why reinvent the wheel. A simple business plan that works has already been laid out for you.

everything from what to sell to getting capital with a ready made customer base has already been laid out.

What else do you want????

There's an old chinese saying that "there is plenty in the middle."

raggie33

*the raggedier*

but the probelwm with led mods is i aint to talented at soldering plus i have no way to purchase leds do to no credit card or paypal or etc etc

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Raggs, problem #1 is easily solvable because the keychain lights require no soldering. They only require a teensy phillips screwdriver.

Problem #2 could be solved by starting out with money orders only. I'm sure that a coupla prepaid orders can help fund an initial purchase of keychain lights and LEDs.

cy

Flashaholic

Raggs, what ever problems in setting up, you may think is in the way can be overcome. Lots of cpf'er would be willing to help by buying items from you, they were going to purchase anyways.

can't solder, no problems.. not much skills needed to cut wire or to repackge batteries.

no paypal account, no problem. a few of us can send money orders as prepayments to your adress. then take funds to bank to start paypal account.

then everyone that wants to pre-pay for an anounced item buy knows it will take 30+ days to deliver. they all can send funds to you new paypal account.

Then take new PP funds to buy items, postage, envelops etc. then ship. Everyone is happy.

important to realize only spend what is left over, not funds that hits PP acount. can get in real trouble in a hurry if you spent seed monies.

The only catch to all this is you got to deliver. If you are not capable of following thru. Then please don't do this!

raggie33

*the raggedier*

o id follow thru for sure i wanna delever more then whats expected.i rather give more then less.id have to invet in printer for adreeses labels my writieng is as bad as my typeing lol

cy

Flashaholic

I simply cut out adresses from plain paper, then use bulk clear tape from Sam's.

just purchase a spl label printer, have not used it. too easy to cut and tape

if you use usps priority, order free supplies..

Sam's has paded envelops for cheap too.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

o thats what i do to but as of now i dont have a printer last printer ran outa ink lol the ink cost more then the darn printer lol.maybe ill use the post office labels that would be easier nad cheaper

cy

Flashaholic

most ink cost more than the printer. I use a ink refill kit for $17 at Sam's. will refill ink cartrige many times.

LightChucker

Enlightened

Many service businesses are easy to start. They require little or no up-front investment and have very few financial risks. There is a guy here that will come to your house at any time of the day or night to wash or "detail" our cars. That is a great service for a lot of people. For a basic car wash, including windows, tires, and vacuum he gets $15; for an SUV, he gets $25. Prices go up for more detailed cleaning and waxing etc.

I think you should consider services for people within walking distance - like homes and businesses that you can walk to. Go door-to-door asking if there is anything you can do. Consider doing anything, but suggest things like the following:

- wash cars for a car dealer
- pick up trash in the parking lot
- wash or vacuum the floors in a business or house
- wash windows for the store front
- clean garages, basements
- mow lawns
- walk pets (dogs) on a leash
- feed and water people's pets when they are going to be away for a while
- offer to check in on or just call elderly or disabled people and report to their sons and daughters
- go to the grocery store or Wal-Mart for people
- ideas like these are endless!

Be sure to get the customer's phone number and address so you can call them periodically to remind them that you are there to help them with almost anything.

I would like to suggest that, in the beginning, let the customer pay you what they think your service is worth (or even just what they can afford). Many people will pay more than what it is worth; others less. You can always set a price later.

Set up routes for yourself. When you are going to be in a particular neighborhood, call everyone in the area to let them know you will be near them soon, and ask if they need anything. Again, remind them of the things you are willing to do.

Chuck