Opinions on Wiley X eyewear?

muitah

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I'm after a pair of sunglasses I can use for hiking, abseiling etc and also just as day to day sunglasses. I've been looking at the Wiley X active sports series but after some reading it seems a lot of people have mixed opinions on their entire product line.

what have your experiences been like?

unnerv

Enlightened
I had picked up a pair from meridian tactical awhile back and was very happy with them, until I sat on on them and broke an arm. I called Wiley X to see if I could get a replacement arm and told them how I had broken them. They told me to send them in and they would see what they could do. Since the model I had sent in were discontinued, they sent me a new pair of a more expensive model. Definately A+ on customer service.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only used the SG-1's that were issued to me last year, and am not that impressed with them. I'd rather get a pair of Gargoyles or some of the Oakleys.

muitah

Newly Enlightened
Its reassuring to hear about the great customer service. As far as the SG-1's are concerned Unicorn, were you unimpressed simply by the reported fogging problems and uncomfortable nature of the foam padding around the eye sockets or simply by the build quality in general?

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fogging problems were horrible, that was the biggest dissapointment. If I wore them with the plastic temples instead of the elastic headband, there was more than enough ventilation to prevent fogging, but then they were nearly useless as dust and wind protection. They need to have the center a bit softer so that it fits the face better. I did find the foam pretty comfortable though.

humby

Newly Enlightened
I've had the SG-1's for about 2 years now and wear them daily in town and while hiking, and I haven't really had any problems w/ fogging or anything. I remember thinking that the foam would bug me but I hardly noticed it. In so far as them keeping particles out of your eyes they work great. I've camped quite a bit on South Padre island and the wind really kicks up in the late evening and morning. It gets to the point that the tent will almost lay flat sometimes. In all my running around getting stakes reseeded, chasing towels, or putting up camp I have not had any sand blow into my eyes. I use the plastic temples with the strap pulled tight. Hope this help.

muitah

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. I ended up deciding to get a pair of Wiley X JP-3P's from the sealtek range, I dont think they'll suffer from any fogging problems seeing as there not as much of a goggle as the SG-1's. Can't wait to try them on and see what there like.

TOB9595

Enlightened
Let us know when you get em.
I have the Sg1 and they don't fog on me.
BUT
I prefer a larger glass to cover the entire orbit of my eye.
My primary sunglass is REI Karakoram.
I use the wileys for shooting. Love the interchangeable lens
Tom

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three pairs of Wiley-X's. All prescription fitted. They are the 480 degrees (discontinued, bought the frames at Meridian Tactical for like $30 or so and paid ~$180 for the mirrored precription lenses (these were my first pair, about 2 1/2 years old)), the newer 180 degrees and XL-1's I purchased last year while in Iraq. The 180 degree frames were used with clear lenses for just regular usage. The XL-1's are fitted with the slate tints in them for convoy riding. Yes the XL-1's will fog, I had that problem but it was fixed with some dial bar soap. Applied and wiped off once a week, they kept my eyes from tearing in sand storms.

I had the SG1's issued but I scraped those. I didn't like how those looked and felt when I wore them.

I love my 480's. I wear them while driving on a sunny day and haven't had any issues with fogging. They are not goggles though. I wear the 180's during night and rainy day driving (whenever its not sunny.)

All the Wiley'X's I have are cured. Not the traditional sense of eye fashion. So I have a pair of regular frames made by Kenneth Cole I believe. Looks more 'normal'

Their customer service is A+ too. I dealt with them on numerous e-mails and phone calls, very polite and sent me a replacement for a broken eye glass hard case.

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
Unicorn,
I was issued the SG-1's also and also did not like them. They seal well during the dust storms but take away your periferal vision and feel funny on your face. My commander got the unit to make an IMPAC purchase of the Wiley X CQC's and they are great. Kinda make me look like a cylon but I always have them on if outside the hootch. the only other protective eyewear that I use are the ESS profile NVG's.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also wore the ESS Profile when I needed goggles. The only time I wore the SG-1's were at the Doha range.
I don't know the name, but the more sunglass style Wiley X's are pretty well regarded by the ones who were lucky enough to get the issued. One guy says he took a pair home one leave and shot them with a .22 a few times without penetration.

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
Unicorn,

The CQC's I wear are kind of like regular wrap around sunglasses. but are HUGE. I actually like this because like the Profile NVG's, they really protect your eyes without restricting your vision to the sides.

I do not believe your friend is telling stories. My unit tested a pair of the CQC's by blasting it with a round of 12 Gauge #4 shot from 10 yards. The lenses were chewed up, but none of the shot penetrated. We bought many pairs.

Another Soldier I work with thought the CQC's were too big and bought the XL-1's with light adjusting lenses. He really loves them. I think this would be a good choice for non-military people looking for a pair of sunglasses that provide a good level of eye protection while being versatile and looking good.

Aside from the SG-1's The Wiley X's are great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds like the ones that they were issued. Many preferred them over the goggles in the gunner hatch since they had airflow and with the goggles, they had to keep taking them off to wipe out the sweat. Unfotunately where they were, they were ordered to wear only goggles in the gun hatch. Yeah the goggles give better protection, but not much. I do like them when it's really sandy and dusty though.
I also did wear the SG-1s while training at Lewis before we left, and I just thought that the fogging problem was because of the high humidity. They were handy to keep in a pouch just incase I needed something to protect against wind adn dust though. One Soldier I know said that they were getting them almost free issued, and just gave them out to the ING (Iraqi National Guard). The ING were grateful, and the Americans didn't like them as much.
I do believe my buddy about shooting it with his .22. I've seen the older Gargoyles take a blast of 00 Buck at about 15 yards and not have any penetration.

Scottiver

Enlightened
I have a pair of XL-1's that I bought for skiing on sunny days and I think that they're great. The only time that they fog up is when I blow air out of the bottom of my mouth and the air goes up towards the lens. I know that sounds weird but I have to remind myself not to breath out that way. When they do fog up I just pull them away from my face for 5 seconds or so and the fog disappears. It also helps if you use a no fog cloth wipe which is made for ski goggles. The XL-1 looks like a modern pair of wrap around sunglasses. (Which is what they are), with a foam liner around the perimeter to keep out wind and debris.