American flag lapel pins: Where did they go?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
After 9/11 I was one of the last to keep mine on until finally I felt too self conscious to wear it. Was it understood to be a temporary statement, did political events dampen the spirit or what? Why did so many remove them?

Brightnorm

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightnorm,

This subject you've touched on is upsetting to me, too. I'm pretty cynical about what I see as a very cavalier attitude not only about 911, but also nearly every aspect of the future of our government, culture and society. Almost anyone who is into politics has read the studies that claim that ~85% of voting age citizens in the US only start paying attention to the races about three weeks before each national election. The herd has a short attention span.

For the most part, the general population in the States are a busy lot and can't seem to be able to keep too worked up over the murder of three thousand of their own. While you took the events of 911 (and thus the pins) very seriously, many fickle people also wore them and in that very large group the lapel pins have just gone out of fashion.

I think that something WILL have the effect on most Americans that 911 has already had on you and some of the rest of us. IMO it will actually take quite a bit more. When the States finally awakens, everyone on earth will know it.

Disclaimer: I was born here. I've traveled around some but the States have always been my home. This is just my opinion.

matt_j

Enlightened
Well after 9/11 every car in NYC had a flag, people were wearing lapel pins and houses were decorated with flags as well. Now it is all gone. No more flags. I will always wear my flag. I have towers and flag tattooed on my body. I have one on every jacket I own, I have mine on my uniform specially put on. This is not a fashion statment. I will always wear it as a sign of freedom, liberty, deep patriotism, memory of those who were murdered in terrorist attacks and justice. My car still has the same flag as after 9/11. Right above my badge you have the old glory bar. And in the end it shouldn't be about what political party you belong to. It should be about one nation united under god with liberty and justice for all and that flag stands as a symbol for it. And one should wear it proudly.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wear a flag pin on my labcoat.

I also display the flag in front of my home (displayed appropriately with respect).
Last year, I retired a flag (It was tattered severely from flapping around). I folded it properly, and presented it to the local VFW for proper disposal.

I have deep respect for our flag and what it represents...thus it saddens me when other Americans see the flag as representing "jingoism" or anything with a negative connotation.

Bob

matt_j

Enlightened
Bob

what is the proper way of retireing the flag? I was told that you fold it and burn it and than you bury the ashes. Is that true?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
matt_j said:
Bob

what is the proper way of retireing the flag? I was told that you fold it and burn it and than you bury the ashes. Is that true?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that is correct. I admit that I do not know all of the "proper" ways to handle the flag (read them once, there were a lot of rules!), but make an effort to give respect.

You fold it into a triangle (really easy to do, and I am honestly unsure if that part is necessary, but I do it when storing or transporting), and present it to a local VFW, and they have a flag burning ceremony. (you might be able to do it yourself, but I wanted to be sure it was done correctly).

Bob

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy Scouts were taught how to honorably retire flags as well, at least they were around here when I was a Scout.