Choice! L2 or L4?

MeLLoJeLLo

Newly Enlightened
Choice! L2 or L4?

Hi guys! I just bought a L1 and I'm really enjoying it to the fullest. The L1 is throwing a lot for one battery!!! With the F04 beamshaper it's not bad, but at high beam (with beamshaper) it's less than I would like.

That' why I'm looking for either a L2 or a L4. I like the L2 for the two beam settings and long run on low (wich is the max lumen of the L1).... BUT, with the unusual regulation curve, it's not someting I want at all.

The L4 got one high beam output and almost 40 lumens less for a bit more runtime....And it take Pilas batteries!

Is the L2 gonna be fixed soon? Thanks again for your help guys! You really help me with that L1 purchase recently!

MeLLo

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Re: Choice! L2 or L4?

L4 -- and get a McGizmo 2 stage switch some Pilas with it. Rechargables, two settings, incredibly bright, tiny size, what could be better?

MeLLoJeLLo

Newly Enlightened

Got a link for that 2 stage Pilas switch? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lexus

Enlightened

You can buy the McGizmo 2 stage switch here:

http://theledguy.com

All Aleph Tailcaps will fit your L4. You must select a resistor value which determines the brightness of your "low level".

For more info on this switch have a look in the McGizmo forum.

The Pila rechargeable battery is available from here (you need the 168S):

http://www.jsburlys.com/

You can find a rewiev of it here:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pila_168s_150s.htm

EDIT: cognitivefun beat me to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Disclaimer: I don't have an L4, nor have I ever used one, so keep that aspect in mind when you read my post.

I have an L2 and I LOVE it. It is a touch long for an EDC but that really doesn't bother me. The thing I like it for the most is my evening walks (which often finish just after dark). I walk for pleasure, and also as part of a neighborhood watch program so it's nice to have a good/long lasting "walking light" that also has the ability to throw out a wall of light when needed. Of course the right tool for your needs may be a different light.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MeLLoJeLLo said:
...I like the L2 for the two beam settings and long run on low (wich is the max lumen of the L1).... BUT, with the unusual regulation curve, it's not someting I want at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the odd power curve is somewhat disturbing but in real world use I haven't found it to be an issue at all. Of course I will also admit that my use is mostly in low mode with the occasional brief jump to "turbo mode" when needed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have both but L2 I prefer.

cognitivefun

Enlightened

Another benefit of the L4 is that you have a KL4 head that you can put on another light body such as a one cell 123 body (Vital Gear, Aleph or another SureFire like a one cell E series). The resulting light is even smaller than the L4.

cy

Flashaholic

I've got both and prefer TW4 with two stage & R123 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MStarmer

Newly Enlightened

This is my first post so be gentle...

My understanding is that using the two stage switch will *NOT* increase battery life, only give you the low/high settings. Is that correct? Also if I wanted to just keep using the standard SF123's what resistor is reccomended as a standard?

Thanks,
MStarmer

cognitivefun

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
MStarmer said:
This is my first post so be gentle...

My understanding is that using the two stage switch will *NOT* increase battery life, only give you the low/high settings. Is that correct? Also if I wanted to just keep using the standard SF123's what resistor is reccomended as a standard?

Thanks,
MStarmer

[/ QUOTE ]

Don, McGizmo, has posted somewhere recently that the use on low, with a 22ohm resistor, should get you maybe 8 hours of light. This is far longer than the batteries last on "high".

It isn't terribly efficient, but there is still much less juice being expended on low than high.

I love my L4. Now I am playing with my new U2 which is also cool. But the L4 is so small and pocketable, and with the 2-stage switch and the rechargables, it is practically perfect.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

The L4 with a two stage switch is just so much smaller than an L2. The L4 is just the right size to hold in the hand. L4 has a nice balance while the L2 feels long...and it is long.

The L2 only fits CR123A cells while the L4 will fit a Pila 168S/17650 cell plus the standard two CR123A cells. Both lights are quality builds.

The beams coming out of my L2 and L4 are the same.

For the threat factor the L2 is half a notch higher in the scare zone. The L2, being longer, it looks slightly meaner. But neither of these lights could even scare a poodle.

L4.