Complete: FireFly II Modifications - Photos

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Folks,

Managed to have a bit of time to tackle this mod this weekend, and thought I'd share a couple of progress shots. The light started out as your standard DSpeck FF2, with the smooth Type III anodizing etc. The finish was such that it pained me to strip it off, but the results were worth it. I'm not sure what DSpeck did exactly as far as the anodizing goes, but it was particularly hard to get off compared to other lights I've had to strip.

After stripping the hard anodizing layer off, the parts went off to the blasting chamber and given a smooth, satin grey finish.

FF3.jpg

FF4.jpg

Next, the head and bezel were prepared for a hand polishing job for about an hour to this state:

FF6.jpg

And finally, the results:

FFP1.jpg

FFP2.jpg

FFP3.jpg

FFP4.jpg

The two bands between the knurls on the case, and the inner portions of the tail retained the bead blasted finish to provide some contrast to the rest of the polished areas. A few things remain left to be done, including polishing the copper center piece to bounce a bit more light out the front end, the installation of an optic (or a reflector, pending optic performance), and a few other minor assembly details. There also are a few other plans for it that I'll wait to mention until I have pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Right now it's running a UX1L Luxeon III Sandwich Module with an NG500 Convertor, even with no optic and an unpolished copper cone for an optical system, the output is pretty good, and heat has been a non-issue during the brief periods of runtime it has had. Should be interesting to do a few comparisons once it's got a more reasonable beam shape against some of my other lights.

Let me know what you think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Enrique

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Progress Shots: FireFly II Modifications

Nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Amorphous

Enlightened

Flabbergasted !!
Now you are the sand blashed / strip master /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice. I'm surprised that after all of that polishing you did your fingers aren't permanently blackened. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeff

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

chrome look, looks much better than annodized to me.

specially when the annodizing always gets wasted, in hard use.

wouldnt it be easier , if they had not annodized it in the first place, for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad you all like it so far. I'm actually not too happy with the look of the bezel - the photos make it look worse than it is, but it could use a bit more polishing on one area, I just had a hard time gripping it right. I'll probably hit it again tomorrow.

Pokk - where's the fun in that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif No copper ring? Guess it'd be called the Silver Bullet then.

Amorphous - thanks for the kind words. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Pitbull - Maybe you're not too familiar with it, but there is this handy little invention called soap... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif My fingers were pretty black, but it came off without issue. Haven't had the same luck other times though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

VidPro - Unanodized parts would indeed have been useful for this project, but it ends up working just the same in the end.

I'll have some more pictures in the coming week or two when the mod is finally complete.

-Enrique

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lookin' good, Enrique - nice job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FireFly II Modifications 24K Gold

And over two months later, I've got a few pictures:

Image_120_2064.JPG

Image_120_2065.JPG

Image_120_2068.JPG

I wanted to take some pictures of the FF2 by itself, but it's been raining all week, so these will have to do for now. I think it turned out pretty nice - it's nicely reflective, and I'm pleased with the final results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After the process shown above in pictures, I ended up plating the light in a thick layer of 24 karat gold. I've been considering polishing up the center piece and taking it in for nickel plating to give a bit of contrast to the gold finish and reflect a bit more light out the front end. Maybe sometime when some of my other projects slow down I'll have a chance to do that.

For now, it's running bright and white with the NG500 UX1L sandwich. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll post again whenever the center piece is polished and plated.

-Enrique

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FireFly II Modifications 24K Gold

That's a nice looking FF2! I love the gold plate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Halibut

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Endeavour said:
I'm not sure what DSpeck did exactly as far as the anodizing goes, but it was particularly hard to get off compared to other lights I've had to strip.

-Enrique

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that may have something to do with the alloy that Doug chose. I hear hard anodizing 7075-T6 can be a real bear.

Beautiful finish, by the way!

-Dan

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif... a golden Fire-Fly... Very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you all like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for the kind words, folks.

Halibut: I usually strip 6061-T6, not the 7000 series, so yeah, maybe that's the case. It sure was a mess doing it, though, took a good bit of bead blasting to take off the dross left over from the bath.

-Enrique

paulr

Flashaholic
The gold FF is beautiful. Will it wear off if you carry it in your pocket?