Anyone have a travel trailer type camper?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mrs. Powernoodle and I are considering the purchase of a used 25' travel trailer/camper. We have access to a very nice 33' RV, but its a little much for us and we would like to the use of a vehicle while at the campsite.

So do any of you kids have such a thing?

And tell me what the secret is to pulling the thing is such a way that it doesn't start to fishtail and flip the vehicle. We know some folks who flipped their Expedition this way, and it was not pretty. I'd like to know if there is someway to protect against such an occurrence.

best regards
me

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sir Noodle drives a '99 Ford Explorer 4x4 4.0L SOHC with 123,000 miles on the odometer, and 90K on the Michelins. The book says it can pull 4500 - 5800 lbs depending on the ratio of the differential. So lets say 4500 lbs. This camper is 3300. That means I can bring about 1200 lbs of flashlights. The other 2/3 of my collection will have to stay at home.

best regards

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:...We have access to a very nice 33' RV, but its a little much for us and we would like to the use of a vehicle while at the campsite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a travel trailer that is less than 33'.

Alite400.jpg

Sorry...couldn't resist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:
Sir Noodle drives a '99 Ford Explorer 4x4 4.0L SOHC with 123,000 miles on the odometer, and 90K on the Michelins. The book says it can pull 4500 - 5800 lbs depending on the ratio of the differential. So lets say 4500 lbs. This camper is 3300. That means I can bring about 1200 lbs of flashlights. The other 2/3 of my collection will have to stay at home.

best regards

[/ QUOTE ]
Arn't those Explorers the ones that flip without the aide of a trailer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The anti sway bars are a must, your truck is fairly light. Also I would consider a transmission cooler, sometimes they come stock if you opted for the trailering package.
1) sway bars
2) transmission cooler
3) electric brake controller
And a camping you shall go!
Have the wife follow you in the car, she can bring the rest of the lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MoonRise

Enlightened
Pulling a 25 ft with an Explorer? Possible.

Does the Explorer have the factory towing package already installed? That will usually include the receiver hitch (I think the Explorer's hitch is a 1.25 inch receiver and not a 2 inch, you may have to upgrade the receiver to a 2 inch unit), sway bars, wiring harness for the trailer, and the trans cooler.

You'll want a load-distributing hitch for the trailer, and also a trailer anti-sway control.

Trailer brakes are needed as well, an electric brake controller in the Explorer would be a bit nicer(you can control and adjust the trailer braking more with the electric units) than just a surge brake on the hitch.

For towing, you need to consider the towed weight vs the tow vehicle weight limit, any trailer frontal area limits, and also the GVWR of the tow vehicle. Remember that a weight-distributing hitch (or the tongue weight load) transfers the tongue weight onto the tow vehicle, which would be part of the payload on the tow vehicle itself.

If the trailer has a dry curb weight of 3300 pounds, you still have to have some "stuff" with you. Water in the tanks, propane, food, wife's clothes, flashlights, etc all add up. Don't overload things!

To prevent fishtailing, use a load-distributing hitch, trailer anti-sway controls, and load things PROPERLY (adequate tongue weight is important). Also be aware of cross winds and big-rig turbulence.

If you already can use a 33ft RV, why not just get a dinghy and tow that behind the full size RV?

And about Pydpier's idea of having the wife follow behind with the other 2400 pounds of flashlights, I don't know of ANY car that has a payload capacity of 2400 pounds. She'd need a full-size three-quarter ton or one-ton dually pickup( Ford F250HD/F350, GM 2500/3500, Dodge 2500/3500), preferably with a turbo diesel, to get a payload capacity of 2000+ pounds. The full-size pickups also have a trailer towing capacity of 10,000+ pounds. And if she had that, use that to pull the trailer instead of the Explorer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

JackBlades

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:
Sir Noodle drives a '99 Ford Explorer 4x4 4.0L SOHC with 123,000 miles on the odometer, and 90K on the Michelins.

[/ QUOTE ]

New tires are a MUST before you even load that thing up to go camping.....don't even think about pulling that trailer on those.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
I would also look into a Hensley hitch. They are the best hitch available to keep trailer sway to a minimum. Other suggestions have been good, especially the new tires! And just because a manufacturer rates a vehicle to tow XXXX lbs, I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to. Tow as light as possible. No more water than you need for the trip as long as you can fill once there. Don't tow in overdrive, unless you vehicle is specifically built for it. Most aren't!. Like was already said, a tranny cooler and brake control are musts! And tune the brake control before you leave. It takes some time and testing to get them about right. If you don't tune it before you need, chances are it will either be set too low and you won't get much braking from the trailer, or it will lock up anytime you lightly touch the brake pedal.

And check the GCVWR also. That is what the vehicle, cargo and anything being towed can weigh in total. Sometimes that is more restrictive than the tow rating itself.

Can the Explorer be towed? If you already have access to the motorhome, it may be easy to add a tow bar to the Explorer and tow that.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish that I was into this big RV. My in-laws bought it used 2 years ago for around $85K, and then my father-in-law died last year. So my mother-in-law now has it and is going to sell it because its just sitting there depreciating. We could borrow it any time for as long as we want, and she would keep it for us to use. But the thing is so dagab big that I don't want to mess with it. 33' doesn't seem so big until you are sitting behind the wheel. I can't imagine trying to back it into a camping spot. Its a great opportunity if we were into it, but we just aren't. You do feel like king of the campground when you are in it, tho.

best regards

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:
I wish that I was into this big RV. My in-laws bought it used 2 years ago for around $85K, and then my father-in-law died last year. So my mother-in-law now has it and is going to sell it because its just sitting there depreciating. We could borrow it any time for as long as we want, and she would keep it for us to use. But the thing is so dagab big that I don't want to mess with it. 33' doesn't seem so big until you are sitting behind the wheel. I can't imagine trying to back it into a camping spot. Its a great opportunity if we were into it, but we just aren't. You do feel like king of the campground when you are in it, tho.

best regards

[/ QUOTE ]
Sir Noodle, the Rv is a great idea, if it is a family investment then it may be the best idea..
Most parks are equipped for monsters like that, they are not "back in" sites as much as "pull through" sites. We tow a 34' 5th wheel and although I could back it in I prefer not to. The growing popularity of Rv'ing has forced many parks to create sites that allow you to pull in to your site without ever having to see reverse. You could pull the explorer with the RV with a single axil dolly or rent one from Uhaul for just a few bucks a day, that way if you suddenly need milk of bread you can leave the kitchen behind and just go get it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
And if you are ever in this neck of the woods with it drop me a line, I have a feeling your quite a laugh around a campfire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Have trailer, will travel.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will let others speak to the hitches but I will make a few points

1. Make sure if you buy one that you have a jack for changing tires on the camper. I was pulling a pop-up up a mountain once and had a blow out, there was very little room on the side of the road to change the tire. Fortunately I had one of the jacks that you can buy at Auto Zone and I was done in a flash.

2. Size really doesn't matter that much because your probably going to spend most of the time outside. In fact when I buy my next one it will be very small.

3. Depending on where you live an AC unit can make a huge difference.

4. You get what you pay for and there is a big difference in quality between brands. I personally would have a hard time buying anything else other then a Fleetwood (Coleman)

5. Awnings help a lot even if it small for both rain and sun.

6. Easy access to storage is a big plus, if you can pack up without having to put your camper up then you can save time and leave on the fly.

7. If possible get the windows with clear plastic.

8. Make sure the stove works both inside and out if the unit doesn't come with two stoves.

9. Make sure the unit has plenty of inside storage and if possible get one where you don't have to turn the sink upside down when taking the camper down.

10. It is really nice to have a stowaway potty.

11. I personally prefer a non carpet floor because it is easer to clean.

12. I wouldn't worry about it if the unit doesn't come with a water tank, I never used mine and rarely hooked the water up.

13. Make sure the unit can handle 30 Amp circuit.

14. Depending on where you go make sure you buy a unit that has plenty of clearance.

15. Make sure you always bring a tool box.

16. Make sure you never store the unit when it's wet and try to keep the canvas clean.

Sorry for making this long but things just kept coming up.