Help, What kind of led is this??

lm921

Newly Enlightened
Ok, here is the scoop.
I got a bunch of traffic signal lights, most were red.
I got a couple of greens and one yellow.
Two of the greens had about 100 green leds in them then there was this third light that had a kinda frosted cover. When i pluged it up, WOW! it was brighter than the other two.
So i opened up the light and found only 10 leds of some kind.
I went to the LeoTek web sight but not much info for a lay person like me.
Can someone tell me what kind of bulbs these are??
Here is the website.
http://www.leotek.com/ledtraffic.html
Model number on the light is TSL-12G-LX-A1
The first part of the model number (TSL) stands for "Traffic Signal Light".
The second part is "12 inch Green".
The third part of the model has me baffled? but i assume it tells what type of bulbs are in the fixture.
This is the only one i have and i plan on using it when we go to the campground along with the yellow and one of the reds. I was just wondering what type of bulb they are.
Thanks in advance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I am not sure how to post pictures but if you email me i will send you some. email address is [email protected]

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it draws 12W, and has 10 LEDs, then that's around 1.2W/LED - so I'd say they've probably got Luxeons in there.

Got any pics of the innards of the light?

lm921

Newly Enlightened
You got mail with pics evan. Thanks for looking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
It says POWER: 15Watts, 15.8VA

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the mail. It looks like a Luxeon flood, with 10 batwing emitters on board...the board with LEDs its self is likely a $150+ part.

Strangely, it looks more like a custom job. The standard Luxeon flood parts by lumileds have 12 or 18 emitters vs. 10 for this one.

lm921

Newly Enlightened
To bad they are green, they would make a good flashlight, lol

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
imagine if they had luxIII Green HD's in them!!
I've seen a lot of LED traffic signals around here with frosted lens that have to be luxeons. They are getting more common and replacing the 5mm units as they do not blind you as bad if you are directly in line with them at night. They are just like a brighter incandecent green light...

lm921

Newly Enlightened
I do not know how to post pictures, send me a email and i will send them to you.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, now I know for sure what we have are luxeon in my town now. They have that size of light source and it looks kinda like multiple emitters behind a diffusion lens.