BAN Abbrev for the good of all . NM-71-3a

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Proud of your light? want others to know about it? proud of your product, or your modification?
Then put a Glossary in for your abbreviations, or just dont abbreviate the First time.

if you own a NM-71-3a , HOW in heck is anybody supposed to know what that IS , YOU own it, we dont.

Newbies wonder around hearing tons of useless data all in the form of CPF Code . BREAK THE CODE, here is how.

Put up just ONE measly pic of the light your talking about
or
Put in a link to what your referring to
or
Even a link to where it can be purchaced
or
just put in the PRICE you paid, and i will ignore it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

if you have a flashlight that you altered or changed, shown against other flashlights , DO TELL which is the one that you changed , tell which is the one your talking about. dont assume that we all have 75 piece collections of 200$ lights.

if you have little ketch abbreviations for something, then use the whole word ONCE in your entire thread.

Geez quit confusing us morans, and start communicating again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

do you still want to know what a NM-71-3a is? so do I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

who is the fat man, and who is the bad boy ? what are thier forum names? is a Uflex , a new form of polades? , how do you eat a lux sandwitch?

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened
I feel your pain, brother. When I first got here it took weeks of searching and researching to get caught up on the "shop talk". Every manufacturer uses these sometimes arbitrary part numbers, every custom job gets a catchy name that often becomes abbreviated. I don't think this is going to change anytime soon.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say we ban usernames like " <font color="blue"> tvodrd </font> " unless the user puts the meaning of it in thier profile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif
Just kidding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Vidpro, I understand where you are coming from, it took me an hour to find out what the USL was, but that is part of the fun here on CPF.
I have often learned important info on one thing while searching for another. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Well... you all could start by clicking on the link in the top menubar that says... "Acronyms"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
Dang I admit I am torn on this. Lord knows I cannot spell nor post pics so at times it is simpler for me (is simpler a real word? did every one know what I meant?)However I get confused real quick on somethings I read here(should the have been spelt hear?)see what I meen???
valid point just not sure I could comply? complie? shoot I need to go lay down or Methinks you protest too much Sir as to mine inadaquitsies (inadaquitsies ha just made that one up --I think) Jokes aside I do understand your post. (I would have wrote feelings but I am not sure I spell that word good)there is a Acronyms clickie at the top of the page
that is helpful to look at.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
See, I type too slow Sasha beat me to the ack thing,I slowed down to be understood. story of my life.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
Beamhead said:
I say we ban usernames like " <font color="blue"> tvodrd </font> " unless the user puts the meaning of it in thier profile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif
Just kidding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

TeleVision OverDose Rd (Road)- the name the previous owner of my powerless/phoneless shack in the desert gave the 100yd dirt driveway to the 2-mile dirt road to the highway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was hurting for an email addy back in Y2K, and it's usually not taken when I sign-up somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As to the abbreviations and acryonyms(sp) I too get confused sometimes!

Larry

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
[ QUOTE ]
VidPro said:
......who is the fat man, and who is the bad boy ? what are thier forum names? is a Uflex , a new form of polades? , how do you eat a lux sandwitch?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fatman is the name of a boost conveter made by gorges80
Uflex Is a digitally controlled buck converter made by georges 80
Sandwiches are complete drop in driver/Luxeon modules for FireFli's and MiniM*gs.
If I can figure these things out, ANYBODY can. Because /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif.....
At least I can spell "their"

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i put a CLF on my LED with a USL, and drove it with a CR12, it looks just like a SF, but nowhere near a LH, at least the X47 model. do you think if i put a Li cell in, it will run at 1.4v before the A goes critical, and the Vf of the LED looks like a CCF?
or will the farbus, overrun the negative delta , before the Vclamp, hits the Lf% of the Inx inductor?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I added UCL and LDF to the Acronyms page earlier this morning.

I don't know the meanings of CLF, USL, CR12, and CCF though.
CCF could stand for Cold Cathode Fluorescent, but it's usually CCFT (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Tube).

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool, there is one abreviation that is used OFTEN, and it would help if it was on it.
i just forget it , so i will get back to you when i remember.

I don't know the meanings of CLF, USL, CR12, and CCF though
(neither do i)

one possible addition, is the abbreviation for those tiny logic components, SMD SMP or something.
the other is used DAILY in titles, EDL EDF or something.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
USL Ultra Stealth Light
EDC Every Day Carry
CF Compact Flourescent
SF SureFire
Vf Voltage forward (of a semiconductor, usually LED)

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
have you ever been in the BUY/Sell location of the forum, and saw somone selling . . . SOMETHING . they expect to sell many and many of them, but we dont even know what the size of it is, or what it would fit other than that abbreviated THING that seems to fit it.

you would think that if your trying to sell something BLIND, and you have 1800 pieces of it sitting there , hoping you can unload them on sombody, you would explain what it IS, how its USED, what its For, and how it looks.

instead all we see is a FLK that has a RBJ, with a LBJ , and all you need is a few JFKs to buy it???
if its that cool, mabey we even want the light that it works with, if only we knew what that even was.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
My knowledge of flashlights on my first visit to CPF was there were 2 kinds, bulbs and LED. 30 minutes later, eyes wide open, drooling, white knuckled and visa card in hand I was hooked.
Each thread sparked interest in another, then another, it grows exponentially everyday, if you miss a couple days you have to start all over../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
The contents of the threads have taken a second place to the actual participants contributing to it's course. I tend to follow certain people through certain topics, often crossing paths in multiple threads, if at that point I am unsure of something and not informed enough to take a comfortable guess then I ask, but I try to avoid that in fear of looking like the newbie that I am! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

Pyd
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif