Nuwai Q3 rip off or dud? Question Answered !

islw2863

Newly Enlightened
(this post edited from 'Nuwai Q3 rip off?' to 'Nuwai Q3 rip off or dud?' at suggestion of forum member sensitive to impugning reputation of seller.I likewise do not wish to impugn seller Jermardan.)

Just received a Nuwai Q3 bought from an e-bay vendor and boy am I disappointed, in fact I think I've been ripped off; paid for a 3 watt
flashlight but got a one watt instead.

Why do I say that?

1)I have two 1 watt luxeon flashlights from costco I am using as a comparison and reference.
2)The Nuwai puts out LESS light than either costco 1 watt light, according to my visual test throwing beam on a flat light-colored wall (outdoors at night).
3)Did above test with original battery that came with Q3 AND with fresh battery bought at Walgreens today.
4)Using jewelers loupe I can see that the die in the Nuwai is exactly the same size, shape (and color) as the die in 1 watt Luxeon flashlights from costco.

Should I send the Q3 back, or did I miss something, as in 'operator error'?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Edit 6-13-05: I have answered this question to my satisfaction, please see my last post this thread this date.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nuwai Q3 rip off?

The Q3 does slightly underdrive the Lux3.

To find out for sure, open up the head and take out the light engine. You should be able to peek at the back of the Luxeon star to see what the bin code is.

There is a 1 watt version of the Q3 too, FWIW.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened

There are a few ways to remove the head.

1. Use strap wrenches if you have them and twist

2. Boil the light for a couple of minutes. This will melt the glue that holds the head.

3. Use a hairdryer/heatgun and aim it at the head.

islw2863

Newly Enlightened

Also, the Output vs Throw charts on flashlight reviews.com show the Q3 slightly higher on both measures than the costco 1 watt luxeon.

On the other hand, if my experience is that the Q3 is slightly lower would this be in the range of normal variation from unit to unit?

Very disappointing.

islw2863

Newly Enlightened

Is there a simple way to take this Q3 out of underdrive and put it in overdrive, something simple like removing a resistor?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

The heatgun method worked very nicely for me and didn't leave any marks, of course. If you decide to boil it to soften the glue, take out the battery and place the Q3 in a zip-lock bag, then dunk it into a pot of almost-boiling water for a minute or two.

powerfuldark

Newly Enlightened

I think you should name the ebay vendor, as the good folks here may be able to shed some light on their track record.
I, too, just bought (another) Q3 on ebay. If it's not what I ordered, it's only a short hop in my mobile flashlight ('05 Prius) to the offending shop, where I will calmly insert the torch into the proprietor's bum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you look very closely at the clip you might see the words "3 Watt Luxeon Star LED." Look really, REALLY, close. On my Q3 the dark words are so close to the black color of the light that the letters are virtually invisible.

islw2863

Newly Enlightened

The e-bay vendor is 'jermardan'. They have a 100% positive feedback rating, so that seems to indicate they are reputable. I'm just so pissed off that a 3 watt Luxeon Q3, highly praised here and elsewhere, is inferior to my cheaper 1 watt luxeon torches from costco.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is fine. I have some say 3W Viki as well and they are comparable to ones that say 3 watt luxeon.

L

LITEmania

islw2863 : FYI, all CPFers bought from me Q3 has a printed clip as '3W ViKi'. ViKi was my CPF handle name before. And I don't think I supplied directly to any e-bay seller, though. Yes, it is 3watter we call 'Luxeon 3watt Lottery'

Ozric

Newly Enlightened

I bought a QIII from eTendue which says 3W Viki as well, and while I don't know how it compares with other 3W Luxeon lights, it appears bright enough to me.

powerfuldark

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
islw2863 said:
The e-bay vendor is 'jermardan'. They have a 100% positive feedback rating, so that seems to indicate they are reputable. I'm just so pissed off that a 3 watt Luxeon Q3, highly praised here and elsewhere, is inferior to my cheaper 1 watt luxeon torches from costco.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well didn't you just make my freakin' day. I'll tell you this- If JerMarDan doesn't deliver the goods, I'll have the coolest torch on this site: the only one with a bezel made from a human eyeball. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have 2 QIII's from eTendue and they both are Good... I do not think eTendue did any ripoff... eTendue has good reputation here. His Products & Services are Nice. Both of My QIII's had SVAK and SYAK 3 Watters.... and they are BRIGHT!

True, Its Luxeon Lottery... but ... it's Not that bad at all... (especially if you get them from eTendue)

eTendue Has 5***'s in my List. I would Definately Like to do business with eTendue again.

Krit

Enlightened

QIII make a good side spill from stripple reflector. It doesn't make a agood throw as general shine reflector. And QIII also make a good runtime from under driven of 3Watt luxeon. I think in equal current, 3 watt should make a good light thank 1 watt luxeon.

dc

Newly Enlightened

I think both 1 watt(luxeon i) and 3 watt(luxeon iii) have the same die size so u cant tell them apart from their size. I think the difference is whether the luxeon is driven to 1 watt or 3 watt spec and how well the luxeon react to it.

Turboman7

Newly Enlightened

islw2863,

I got mine from jermardan as well and mine is great. Great vendor to do business with. Followed through on the whole process, tracked my shipment and followed up with some emails to make sure everything was cool. Maybe you got a "defective" one.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

islw2863, were you having too high expectation.. and comparing $5 to $30 Light and expecting it to be atleast 5 Times Brighter ??? Then I am sorry to Dissapoint you. It would not be the case... So much so that even a $350 CR2 Light or a $275 Rechargable Battery PWM Light will be not even 2 times bright as a QIII ....

Just for your Information though. didnt mean to offend you or any one else.