A question about stars

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
First off, what is a "star" used for when referring to a luxeon star. I know what it is, I know what it looks like, but what is the reason for having one. Also..what would happen if you held a luxometer directly at the sun at high noon? I don't have one so I can't try..but I would like to know how much light the sun gives off from X miles away. Thanks!

NetMage

Enlightened
The star acts as a (limited) heatsink for the emitter and (ideally) conducts the heat to the light body to be released, keeping the emitter somewhat cool.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The star of the luxon also acts as general mounting device. That it allows heatsinking is one of the engineering parameters for designing the star.

For the sun. Depending on the height of the sun above the horizon, the sun generates between 60,000 and 100,000 lux illumination onto the Earth's surface. The full moon generates 0.15 lux (see here).

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
So--in other words the surefire beast from 5 feet away has the same blinding capabilities as the sun from X miles?! Holy crap!! Well thanks for the clarification fellas.

DanK

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ilikeshinythings said:
So--in other words the surefire beast from 5 feet away has the same blinding capabilities as the sun from X miles?! Holy crap!! Well thanks for the clarification fellas.

DanK

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

So that thing really IS a walking sun... (feet not included, please supply your own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)