How do you use your U2?

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I just got one and I am wondering what you do with yours. EDC? If so, how? Camping? Walking the dog? In your work?

Just curious...here are my observations.

it is quite a bit bigger than my L4. But it isn't heavy.

I am surprised how bright it is on it's lowest setting, said to last 40 hours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

It's throw isn't the greatest, but I would say it projects a flood surprisingly far, if that makes sense.

Fit and finish are awesome except for the somewhat funky tailcap. I will investigate fixing this.

I loaded mine with AW's new protected 18650 batteries and these work splendidly including on the highest setting.

jtice

Flashaholic
I EDC my U2, all the time, everywhere.

If it was any larger I probably wouldnt, but I dont mind it at all.

I think its has the best 5W beam I have ever seen in a light its size.
You described it pretty well, its a somewhat wide hotspot, thats like a throwing flood.

I really wish it went ALOT dimmer on the lowest setting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Its still too bright on night trips to the bathroom.

Im glad to hear that AWs cells are working for you in it, I use bare, unprotected 18650 cells.
Yes, they are 100% safe, the U2 will not drain them too low.

What runtime are you getting on them, on level 6?

I reviewed the U2 on my site...
http://www.jtice.com/review/lights/u2/

~John

Wicho

Enlightened
Wow, I forgot I had a U2. Thanks for reminding me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mine spends most of the time in my briefcase and really only gets pulled out when I travel for work. I'm usually up before the sun while travelling, having to check documents while outdoors and line people up. The low setting is great for reading, and I use one of the higher ones to mark where people are supposed to line up. Giving people a visual cue of where to stand is much more helpful to them than a "stand over there!".

nethiker

Enlightened
Since getting my EDC, my U2 spends most of its time in my jump kit. It gets most of its use on fire calls, it's especially good for traffic control. I got the plastic orange cone that fits over the bezel and I start on high just after sunset and turn in down as it gets darker. Makes great use of the different levels.

Greg

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's an EDC and gets used for virtually everything, any time I need a light. Ranges from work (looking inside computers, darkened equipment racks) to fetching stuff from the fridge.

Agreed that level 1 can be a little too bright but that's ok with me, I just cover with fingers. Then again there are times I take it on level 6 to the bathroom anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is especially useful when I'm travelling and I run into unexpected situations. I can't afford to carry six lights with me with six different outputs put the U2 combines the perfect mix of throw and flood, a shield of light when you encounter the unexpected that makes you jump, and the ability to dial down to 'ride out' a situation like a blackout that you don't know how long it will last.

Run it on lithium ions and you're in for a treat. It's my favorite light because of its 18650 high capacity lithium ion support and low-voltage cutout to protect the cells.

cy

Flashaholic
when I first got U2, it was part of my EDC. got used to hefty size. but I've reverted back to my smaller the better EDC.

I've always run bare 18650's in U2. just did a run down test last night on high to test voltage cutoff.

works perfect! cell measured 2.98V next morning. it's charging back right now on triton.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is a general use around the house light. I also fix it to the bicycle for use during night rides.

I too wish the lowest level was quite a bit lower. When using in a tent while camping or in the middle of the night at home, the present low setting is jarringly bright.

An Aleph2/123x1 is my incidental EDC type light, since I never need long runtimes in that capacity.

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Mine's an EDC and gets used for virtually everything, any time I need a light. Ranges from work (looking inside computers, darkened equipment racks) to fetching stuff from the fridge.

Agreed that level 1 can be a little too bright but that's ok with me, I just cover with fingers. Then again there are times I take it on level 6 to the bathroom anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is especially useful when I'm travelling and I run into unexpected situations. I can't afford to carry six lights with me with six different outputs put the U2 combines the perfect mix of throw and flood, a shield of light when you encounter the unexpected that makes you jump, and the ability to dial down to 'ride out' a situation like a blackout that you don't know how long it will last.

Run it on lithium ions and you're in for a treat. It's my favorite light because of its 18650 high capacity lithium ion support and low-voltage cutout to protect the cells.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark2

Enlightened
If I can only carry one light (full-size, besides ARC AAA, Photon etc), I take the U2. It's the perfect alround light IMHO. For hiking and on longer trips, I'll add a high-power incan (currently the X3) for those occasions when throw is needed.