modification suggestions for a newby

handlebar

Newly Enlightened
I have a bundle of flashlights collecting dust, and i want to spice them up a bit.

what would you suggest as newby type mods for the following lights.....
1.) 2, 3D cell mags, the mods can be different for each.
2.) variouse mini mags
3.) at least 3, angle head military lights.

As i am a newby and lazy, could you please give suggestions as to where to obtain any necessary parts......

thanks and have a nice day.

handlebar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
1-I think you can make one heck of a hotwire mod with those 3Ds. Look for Mag85 and you should be able to find all kinds of stuff.

2-What do you want to spend? Opalec Newbeam, Terralux Ministar, and so on. MJLED is an option. If you have some more cash, you could go with a sammie from the sandwich shop or a pill from Lambda.

3-Maybe a drop-in would work, Everled or Diamond or something. .

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
it all comes down to $$$, I have a LUX III white (TX1L) that when placed on an osink or hotlips runns BRIGHT and has GREAT throw. I also have a RED LUX III with some current limiting that is an optical flamethrower. these mods would be about 35$ (15 hotlips and 15 LUX III).
Cheap for the MM would be the MJLED and reflector, or for more yoy could go with a pill fom Lambda. My EDC MiniM@g has a 3.6v Lithium ion rechargable battery a spacer and normal LED's I have cut down myself. I have the option of different colors and it still works like stock, but the battery is 'special'.
Jeff

I'm too cheap for an MJLED, so...

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Handlebar. Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will only speak of what I know here:
1) 2D Space needle(direct drive/resistored version) or current regulated Mag mod(with converters like BB, VIP board, etc)
You will need:
1 Hotlip/O-sink
1 Lux led
1 converter board (for Badboy, visit Sandwich Shoppe ; for VIP, please visit George80s' homepage

For 3D, you could do a Mag85bp mod, which you might need:
1 Metal reflector (check Groupbuy)
1 Borofloat lens
1 9AA to 3D adapter, or 3x 3AA to 1D adapters
1 bi-pin bulb holder (check Groupbuy)
1 WA1185 bulb
9 Nimh batteries

2) I had a written a humble Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag Mod, and hopefully you will find something that you like there.

3) Not sure about them, if they use flinge base bulb; maybe a drop-in replacement?

Good luck with you mods! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scudinc

Enlightened
Fivemega sells the adapters. Modamag also has an 8AA-to-2D adapter. I'd use the 3D for a Mag85 and the 2D for some sort of LED mod. A possible mod could be an 8AA adapter driving 3 Luxeon IIIs connected in series (<-- very important). Modamag and b2eze sell heatsinks and PhotonFanatic sells Luxeons and reflectors. Use one of b2eze's PR bulb adaptors to make things go as smoothly as possible..