Night-Ops Gladius?

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I was just turned on this flashlight made by Night-Ops (which sounds like a branch of Strategos). I like that it can be dimmed and also has a strobe function. I'm just looking for any personal thoughts and experiences.
Gladius Flashlight

Thanks

JohnF

Enlightened
Mine was delivered today, but won't see it till I get home, so I've got more questions than answers.

Q1) I know there are 3 'modes' (4 with lockout) - does one of them allow you to choose the turn-on light output, or does it always start high and adjust to low?

I'll let you know what I think of it compared to my other lights - SF L2 (mostly flood), EDC Basic 60 GT (spot with some spill), Inova T3 (all spot).

John F

SolarFlare

Enlightened
It has the 3 modes and lock out, however one of those modes is user definable. You can choose 1 of 3 modes within "channel 3". You can start high and ramp down to low, or you can start low and ramp up to high. Or you can choose to have it come on at the level it was when you turned it off so it makes 6/7 modes. The light can be locked at any level if you scroll and twist to lockout too

JohnF

Enlightened
I had a chance to play with the newly delivered Gladius last night, - in short, I'll be keeping it. It is a quality piece, and the options with it are very much to my liking. The 3 modes available within the one click setting for 'channel 3' are terrific for their functionality.

The beam is what you would expect from a smooth, deep reflector - tightly focused with a little spill, a bit uneven against a close wall, but smooth enough at distance.

Light color is quite blue compared to my HDS Basic 60 GT, SF L2, and Inova T3 - in this regard I may have slightly 'lost' the Luxeon lottery, although it is actually kind of nice to have one light that leans toward blue compared to my other 3.

It is bright. It appears to be really well made. I played with a U2 and although I love the L2, am really glad I decided on the Gladius instead of the U2.

I've got a neighbor with a young son who sometimes sits in his parked car listening to loud rap a little past my bedtime - from across the street, a 3 second blast of the strobe mode accomplished more than all my past attempts at talking to him about his listening habits - music was off instantly and he was on his way into his house. The Gladius paid for itself at that instant. Plus, it is really nice to have one light that doesn't roll on a flat surface when set down...

I'd be happy to post comparative beam shots from my 4 LED's if anyone is interested.

John Friederich
LV, NV

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
John, I beam shots comparing the U2 and Gladius would be great. Which one would you say throws further, and which one puts out more light overall. Thanks.

JohnF

Enlightened
I don't have a U2 (I played with one at a retailer before deciding on the Gladius. I do have the L2, but the beams are so different (L2=flood, Gladius=spot)- I'm sure the Gladius will easily out throw the L2, but then it doesn't give that 'wall' of light that I love for night hiking with the L2. Sorry, can't help with the U2.

John F

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
John, my bad, I typed U2 and ment L2. Thanks for the description of the difference. I would love to see beam shots if you have the time.

JohnF

Enlightened
I'll take beam shots after dark tonight. Here are lights I'll post comparative beam shots for (because these are all I've got!):

Night-Ops Gladius
Sure Fire L2
Inova T3
HDS EDC Basic 60 GT

Flashlights.jpg

astrogrub

Newly Enlightened
I recently aquired a Gladius and I like it a lot. Functionaly it serves my purposes better than a U2; and it seems to be well made.

The only thing I don't like is the plastic switch/tailcap. It seems kind of cheesy compared to the rest of the build quality of the light. The tailcap also has this little rattle to it, like theres a piece of something loose floating around inside.

Still the light works well and the beam quality is decent despite some artifacts. The grip flanges work very well and the strobe function seems to be an interesting and useful feature under less-than-pc circumstances......