Surge Shootout

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
How about some beam shots if you have a Surge. Anything will do doesn't have to be amazing. One good technique I know is hold one flashlight in the one hand the one in question in the other and have granny shoot the camera. Say how many feet it was. Thanks from all the shoppers for Surge.

Brock

Flashaholic
What do you want it shot against? plain wall? With an E2, 6P? I will do it but if you let em know what you want it is easier for me
smile.gif

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
Oh this is great. How about a UKE SL6, a Trek 6000 C cell xenon, or a M3 w/ the MN10 in it, or the new Legend LX; whatever you got ready to go to battle or want to get documented for the website. An M6 or a Light Cannon are probably out of it's weight class. Any logical competitors will do; a shootout using a wall or the trusty garage. The Surge is supposed to be a good alternative to some more expensive lights, so maybe we can prove here it's beating them in some way. Highly interesting...

Brock

Flashaholic
OK, I took some shots at 1/4 sec, with Surge, Legend LX, Surefire D2-P60, and Surefire M3-MN10

surge.jpg

I thought I had the MN11 in the M3, but it is really the MN10.

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
Wow! "Surge trashes LX!"! Another round will be definitely be needed here to establish a winner. An SL6, a Trek 6000, maybe a Magcharger next time? I know there's more to flashlights than power and beam quality but this light sure looks like a deal for $26.69. Definitively trashed the Legend LX here. Pretty sucky color but that's amatter of fancy. I am impressed by the beam power and width of the beam here. I was getting depressed about ever finding the Legend LX at a wallyland... The Surge is cheap to run, very bright, and it gives the Surefires a run for their money. Depending on the next round I'd say we have a champ here in the cheapo but high value area. Thanks, Brock. (What do you think?)
grin.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I can focus in as good as a hot spot with my Surge as Brock apparently has, going by the pictures. The M3 is impressive. It looks to be the brightest of the compared lights with only the MN10 bulb. It will be strong consideration for my next Surefire. My Surge has a bright hotspot when focused in but the peripheral lighting does not compared to that of a Surefire.

Brock

Flashaholic
I would choose the Surge over the LX because the Surge uses regular batteries, runs longer, brighter, and completly waterproof. I do have my Surge spotted as tight as I can get it.

Geepondy, I would agree the "fill" light or light spilled out to the sides isn't as nice as the Surefires, and yes the M3 wins all hands down, but then again you could buy 3 or 4 surge's for 1 M3. I would still take my M3 anyday
wink.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yeah, well it's not as if SureFire have put any effort into their 3 battery Millennium Series Lights is it?

wink.gif
:p

I'd grab the Surge over the LX without thinking. It's like the LX is something you'd pick up in some cheap supermarket... Oh, it is...
The Surge give me the impression of a quality product. Maybe I respect divelights?

Al
grin.gif

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
yes of course. I am not really a gun & tactical type and dive lights seem more my cup of tea. I got a new Surge and I really like it. Except for a slightly sloppy beam it beats most other lights including a $100 TurboCat 15 watt bike light I have. The Surge is better than anything else I know of for $25, heck $50.

funk

Enlightened
The Surge has made its way to my first grab - wasn't so sure about it at first, but I am really enjoying it (used to be M3)......

The yellow is a bit much for me too - I have it in Black - much much better!

recercare

Enlightened
It seems strange that a 4AA can blast 8W. Considering it's alkaline the drain can't be too high either. What is surge's lamp spesifications (V/A)?

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
Brock's webpage says 5.35 volts, 5.9 watts, 1.1 amps. The Surge uses 8 AA's; I'll tell you what, it can kick the butt of an overvolted 15-watt TurboCat bikelight on every performance aspect except it's beam isn't as round. How it does so I really don't know. Brock's "Surge Shootout" snaps are representative of the Surge's beam profile. Obviously there's more to a flashlight and a bulb than raw numbers like wattage and voltage. Maybe the downside is the Surge goes poof into cloud of thin air after about a month and comes out in China as a puddle of plastic doodoo.

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
drop sure, but not to 0 unless they're pretty cashed! Probably had some fun by that time huh?

LightBright

Enlightened
recercare - The Surge has 8 batteries total. It is wired so that there are two sets of 4 batteries (each set of 4 adds up to 6 volts) in parallel with each other. By doing this, each set of four is running at about 1/2 an amp each, for a total of 1 amp at 6 volts, or 6 watts.
smile.gif
This indeed is a heavy load for Alkalines. Alkalines slowly taper off in voltage, which lower the wattage or load on the batteries. I noticed after maybe ten minutes of runtime, the voltage reading right across the bulb was only 5.0 volts, so then it was running at 5 watts of power.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I found a great belt holster for the Surge, actually a nylon cell phone holster with a closeable top that fits it perfectly. It's a very comfortable carry, (of course a bit bulgy for everyday, any clothes carry).
I got it in a store near me that specializes in lights, cell phone holsters, and all sorts of fascinating gadgets. Unfortunately it's a small dealer who only does local business. Interested flashaholics might want to check out stores that sell a variety of cell phone holsters, especially older, larger models.

redbird

Enlightened
I just put my Surge in my BucketBoss cell phone holder and it fit OK but the flap wont close. I suppose you could cut the bottom open slightly to allow for a better fit. I think since the top is rubber it would catch on the sides and not allow it to slide out.

I definately prefer to carry my E2 for EDC rather than the size of the surge. It will not supplement my G2 in the wifes car.

We have to be entering the greatest times to own and collect flashlights
smile.gif
Just imagine an E2 with a 110 lumen bulb and perhaps in a few years a light the size of a E1 putting out the same with a run time of 60 minutes.
shocked.gif