need advice for my first LED light (aleph 2??)

jurjan

Newly Enlightened
hi people,

I've been reading posts here for a while now, and since my trusty old minimag gave up i'm in the market for a new light.
Now, I've decided it'll be a LED light, but there are too many options for me.. please help me choose...

My wishlist:
1) EDC, so must be able to take a fall etc.
2) I don't use it every day, so battery should hold a charge for a while (longer is better).
3) my use: 75% is reading in my tent
25% is using it to light my way while camping, finding stuff in dark places etc.
i guess long endurance is king. (i would like to use only one set per holiday (30 days, reading 1 hour each day, 5/10 minutes spent searching etc.))
and: if at all possible: using it as an emergency-light on my bike
4) smaller is better.
5) i'm leaning towards C123 batteries (for long shelflife)
but... AA is better available worldwide.

At the moment i'm thinking of some sort of aleph (aleph 2 with 2 c123?) but the lack of AA batteryholder is a little disturbing.

I hope someone can help me choose the right one.
If you have questions, just ask away.
thanks in advance for everybodies time..

Jurjan

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'd say you're definately looking for a good two-stage (or more) light. Aleph is a good idea, or maybe an L4/McE2S. .

cognitivefun

Enlightened
So your criteria are:

1. very long runtime at low light levels.
2. small.
3. runs on AA batteries.

if you have the money, you may want to look at HDS. The company has said they are coming out with AA battery extenders that will let the HDS run on AA batteries. Take a look at the HDS threads which tell you a lot about what seems like an outstanding company and outstanding light (I don't have one yet and can't comment.) As it comes, the HDS runs on rechargables just fine (one rechargable 123).

Otherwise the Aleph is a good choice. I run mine on a rechargable and I am delighted with it.

Surefire_Rocks

Newly Enlightened
Ever look into the Gerber Infinity Ultra? I bought it the other day and it makes quite a fine addition to my rather long SF L2. It is small, requires one AA battery, has an awesome runtime, is regulated, and actually provides a nice amount of light for most uses-of course for close-range applications.

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am very satisfied with my ALPEH 1 with NGBB500.
It is on low very good for reading or any other near distance work and on high it is a nearly blinding tool.
It can also be driven on AA's, all you need is an UBH (Universal Battery Holder) from Don McLeish!
That combo costs a bit of money, that's true, but you won't regret it...
Another possibility for camping woul be an AA driver headlight (very good, getting your hands free for work and not chewing on your light) I would suggest a prinetontec Yukon HL or an EOS both are very good products (look at www.flashlightreviews.com for further deteils)

so long...

jurjan

Newly Enlightened
Hockeymoose (nice nick!)

I have a headlight, but have come to the conclusion i like chewing on my light...

thanks for the head up on mr. McLeish having an UBH.. I didn't know that.

Jurjan

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
Hups, I made a small mistake:

The UBH comes from Doug Speck, Don is the ALEPH's father...
Look at the McGizmo forum to learn more about these genious lights.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you primarily need reading light then the Gerber Infinity Ultra is the ticket. It runs off 1 AA and will put out usable light for at least 40hrs. It will put out some light for up to 100hrs. It's cheap enough so you can get it and another larger light for other purposes. The aleph has a good low setting also, but the Infinity is the best bet for reading and it has a clip. I would suggest a cyan or red for reading as the white can be a little bright for up close reading, but I have a white one that I use for that purpose and it works great.

83Venture

Enlightened
The Proton AA variable power light should be out soon, you may want to consider it.