What Maglight should I buy?

setherd

Newly Enlightened
Since Florida has no sales tax for a little while on flashlights, I want to pick up a mini-mag and a large one but which should I get?
2-3 cell C or D?
I want to mod it probably with a 3watt LED..

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Get either a 3 cell, either C or D, it doesn't matter you. With three batteries you can hook the LED up directly to the switch without the need for resistors or any other circuitry.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a simple drop in for a 3C or 3D M*glite. I have this drop in for 2 of my lights, a 3C and 3D. Very white tint for both lights.DB-3W I also changed out the stock lens for an UCL 52.1mmUCL lens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
setherd said:
why not 2 cell? I see everyone is reccomending the 3 cell versions?

[/ QUOTE ]

3-cell gives you 4.5 volts...better runtime especially in regulated leds. I do like 2-cell Maglites though, especially the 2C.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because 2 cells add up to 3V, and 3 cells add to 4.5v. Better for working with LEDs. You could use a 2 cell light, but you'd have to use more electronics. .

C-cells are usually easier to find, too.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Well the "obvious" answer to this question is "buy them all"!!! I'm not joking - better to do it now than to have wished you would have at a later time!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
C lights hold in my hands better, even though I have big hands.

But I have an Elektrolumens Starlux 3D 1W light that never seems to kill the D cells.

Of the D size M*gs, I would choose a 3D every time!

PhantomZ

Enlightened
speaking of 3watts, maybe you would like to try a Tesla-6 in either a 2C body with three cr123 or 3D body with 9AAs? the Tesla-6 has six 3watt LEDs giving you 432 lumens. its make by Electrolumens (Wayne) here on CPF.

greenLED

Flashaholic
One vote for the 2D size. Battery packs come in multiples of 2, and you'll end up with unused loose batteries that will somehow disappear... wasted money.

Forget the 3D mods, buy a 2D and get yourself and EverLED drop-in! My unbiased opinion.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
<runs to check something>

I'm not entirely sure I can recommend an Everled now.

I have a newish high dome Eled in a 2D M*g with 3C. I compared it to me Starlux 3D just now.

Perhaps in a different reflector the Eled would be great. But all I can get from it in the M*g is a tight round spot with spill. ANY de-focusing gets a big fat hole.

Up close the Starlux (optic rather than reflector) has a more intense spot (also quite blue!) but at perhaps 25' to a white wall, the spot from the M*g is a bit more intense.

The Starlux is actually a better all around beam.

What does any of this have to do with World Peace? Nothing!

But in buying a new M*glight, you might want to budget for an orange peal reflector too!

I'll play with the Eled 2D and the Starlux tonight in the quality dark and report...

setherd

Newly Enlightened
well I got 2 mini-mags and a 3D cell one.
I'm thinking about a 3watt terralux and a UCL.
what about replacement reflectors's would a something with a medium orange peel finish smooth out the beam?
I know I saw replacement reflectors somewhere, but don't remember where.....anyone know?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Okay. Out at about 75-100 feet the 1W through the optic puts out a better, more usefull beam.

The EverLED in the 2D driven by 3C is a better walking light due to the very generous spill light. The spot will impose itself over the Starlux beam at any distance.

I imagine that I would use the Starlux more than the Eled. But then with lights like the M*gBP74, M*gBP85 etc. I usually don't use either one.

Incidently, with a bright enough bulb... even a smooth reflector can be sweet. The '74 and '85 are bright!

I'm not sure what a "Terralux" is. I single LUX3 in a stock M*g reflector should be pretty nice. Any more than 1 will have optics or small reflectors with them.

Fivemega is the man for reflectors (should he have any in stock!)

Poke around the Sandwich Shoppe for the Minim*gs! Or better yet, LUX3 one and Opalec Newbeam the other.

And hang on! It's one heck of a ride!!!

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ernsanada said:
This is a simple drop in for a 3C or 3D M*glite. I have this drop in for 2 of my lights, a 3C and 3D. Very white tint for both lights.DB-3W I also changed out the stock lens for an UCL 52.1mmUCL lens

[/ QUOTE ]

Ernsanada:
Is that the regulated one? How's the throw & brightness compare to a Lux III Mag mod? How does the UCL glass help? Thx

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite Mags at this point are AA MiniMags with a variety of LED drop-ins, a 2D Mag with a 5-cell bulb being powered by three 123 Lithium batteries, and a 6D Maglite, although the only good things the 6D Mag is really good for is to use as a club and to show how pathetic a huge light is compared to much smaller lights that are more powerful. I hate the C-cell Maglites, I've owned every size of Maglite currently made except for the C-cell lights and the Magcharger.

-Keith

Mark2

Enlightened
My favorite Mag is the 6D with MagnumStar Xenon bulb or Pelican Big-D (alkaline) bulb and a decent Borofloat/Pyrex/UCL lens. It has good throw when needed, can light up a room in flood mode when standing on the floor poiting at the ceiling, good runtime, and it can be used for self-defense. All this in a very affordable package. I am no fan of Mag, but it's a lot of flashlight for the money.

Latest posts