LRI Proton....what's gonna happen to prices?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
LRI Proton....what\'s gonna happen to prices?

If this new proton can even put out half the light the company is claiming on a single AA for $70, what's going to happen to the other 1w makers such as Longbow, Inova, Surefire,etc? I'm sure not going to pay $100+ dollars for a light with the same or less output that runs on a 123 instead of a AA. What's your feelings? Are we going to see a massive price drop of some of these more expensive lights if this thing can do what LRI claims?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LRI Proton....what\'s gonna happen to prices?

Brasso, The Light Put out by Proton IS 60 Lumens... no false claims. (please view the Main Proton Post) and the Prices that are announced are $70 ....

Donno what will happen to other Lights.... May be the Prices of Proton Itself will increase?

Just think about it...

Polar_Hops

Enlightened

Alothough i'm not a big taker on HAIII, which both longbow and surefire lights have, I do like my lights to be waterproof.

I still havent really tested my surefire l4, but i woudlnt have bought it if craig didnt say it should be waterproof to around 30 feet.

A lot of lights longbow sells are for divers. Alothough there are other lights, longbow is nice for on or off land.

I remember looking at retailers of longbow, and a lot of them were dive shops. If the proton is not waterproof, chances are people will still keep buying longbows. Cant say much about surefire, alothough they are waterproof enough for snorkeling, atleast.

If what i wanted was strictly an underwater light, i'd defeneately get something from UK.

But lights that are submersable safe usually hold a higher price than those that arent.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

If you look at digital cameras as an example, the quality improves continually, but the prices stay the same. My guess is that other flashlight manufacturers will boost their outputs too, keeping the same ol' pricing.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
ViReN said:
Brasso, The Light Put out by Proton IS 60 Lumens... no false claims. (please view the Main Proton Post) and the Prices that are announced are $70 ....

Donno what will happen to other Lights.... May be the Prices of Proton Itself will increase?

Just think about it...

[/ QUOTE ]

???? thought i had read and kept up on the proton thread and don't recall there being a review or true confirmation of 60 lumens. ???? especially since the recent news (upsetting news to me) of having to revert the smaller multiple leds for production.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

We should wait for just a few more weeks... and let the light come out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We will have things to most realistic to the best.

Upsetting News /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .... But then you can mod the Light.. isn't it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
ViReN said:
We should wait for just a few more weeks... and let the light come out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We will have things to most realistic to the best.

Upsetting News /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .... But then you can mod the Light.. isn't it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i do like modded lights, but i don't want to HAVE to mod a $70 production light.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
i do like modded lights, but i don't want to HAVE to mod a $70 production light.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hmm that's a good point too.

Lets see how the current LED Cluster Flairs... I am sure, there will be a Reflector based Proton to follow soon.

From the Post, We already have seen that the Nichia Jupiter (in it's current state) is not useful @ 25 Lumens... the New Jupiter (60 Lumens) is indefinately on hold... the Luxeon K2 Seems Promising... especially the K2 S Bin .. that has 60 Lumens @ 350 mA ....

LRI has kept It's Options open for future ... and looks like as of today... the 60 Lumens mark can be achieved by 6 LED Cluster... and we will have to wait for a production of 60 Lumens Reflectored Light for now...

also... we are not the ones who is controling the Manufacturer ... and Production / Lights... LRI is under control of itself... we are just at the mercy of the manufacturer...

Sure We do have some influence on them.. but we are not the Only people to do so... by we .. i mean Users on CPF ....there are other's and most importantly the Chief of LRI ... He'z the one who decides what to produce and what not to...

Yes there are some manufacturers who have "Production" lights, but then they live/survive only/mostly on the sales generated from CPF... and they sure will listen to what we say .. what we want...

With PHOTON and LRI... it's a totally different case. I am afraid We cannot "order" them to produce something that they do not want to produce.

I had once requested through CPF (Posted Poll, to know Other's views) that they come out with ARC AAA Sized 3 LED with Photon UI.. but .. it was bluntly ignored. that's when I came to reality that what kind of Influence we have on LRI. they will do what they have planned... we are just simply no one.

lets wait and watch.. what's there in future... from LRI.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I'm one of the ones who think it might be ok with six Nichias as I prefer a "projected flood" type of beam. I'm still looking at my freedom though and having a hard time convincing myself that six of these together can produce 60 lumens.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another thing to consider is that brightness is not the only considertion in price. There are factors such as build quality, usability(atens word), asthetics, and a number of things affecting the price.

There are a number of 5 watt lights that cost less than a SureFire 5 watt light but I would rather have the SureFire rather than most of these.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
Well I'm one of the ones who think it might be ok with six Nichias as I prefer a "projected flood" type of beam. I'm still looking at my freedom though and having a hard time convincing myself that six of these together can produce 60 lumens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I like the Flood type of Beam too, I need Light mostly for the closeup work.. or at most need to illuminate up to 50 Feet...

idleprocess

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
... usability(atens word) ...

[/ QUOTE ]
I fear that the term "usability" will never recover from the damage Aten has inflicted.

It used to be synonomous with "utility," but now it means cutting big checks in exchange for a "method-based" evaluation chock-full of new and unfamiliar jargon...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Latest posts