Q3 takes a page from the Inova X1 . . new picts

wmpwi

Enlightened
I have become thoroughly fascinated with the Q3 and been playing with mod ideas born from several CPF threads. Today I was cleaning out some of the junk that I had accumulated over the years and I found the lens from an old video camera. Low and behold, it was the exact size of the Q3 lens. Obviously, I had to try it. While I'm sure there are trade offs, some of you may find it interesting.

Head.jpg

With a small adjustment, I was able to smooth out the very slight visible darker center area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mod is on the right.

Beam1.jpg

beams.jpg

Bradlee

Enlightened
Re: Q3 takes a page from the Inova X1 . .

Interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif That's very convenient that the lens was an exact fit; the throw must be greatly increased with the light focused into a spot like that.

wmpwi

Enlightened

I'd love to say I'd planned it, but it was purely by accident that I even found it since I have some many little pieces of stuff I just couldn't toss out. The beam is very nicely focused and the throw looks better than I expected. I'll try to get a picture from a little further away.

BBL

Enlightened

which one of the beams in the photos is the modified one?

luminaria

Newly Enlightened

The right one looks like the Q3 standard beam....

wmpwi

Enlightened

I guess there were a few things I could have added earlier.

1. The stock Q3 is NOW on the left side.
2. Li-ions were not freshly charged.
3. The right (mod lens) had a Dorcy driver in it whereas the left has the normal Q3 driver that I am given to believe is normally a bit brighter.

I hope this and the following pictures better help explain what I'm seeing here.

This would be the normal Q3 on the left with the magnification lens on Q3 on the right,
2heads.jpg

This would be a better beam shot where the distance to the wall is 8' and the spot, for which there is no spill, is 50" in diameter. While it may be a tad uneven, I'll be trying a different reflector next week.

beam3.jpg

wmpwi

Enlightened

Sorry for any confusion as I was a bit too eager to post it. I think I've got it right now.

Latest posts