New KL1 Doesnt Really Throw

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
Yesterday I recieved a new KL1 for my L4 under the impression that it would throw significantly farther (albeit with no sidespill). I just tested them outside, shining at various treetops, and the KL1 really doesnt seem to throw much more then the KL4--a little bit perhaps, but not the huge difference I expected. I'm kind of dissapointed. Anyone have similar experience?????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The KL1 has a relatively low drive current and isn't a "monster thrower", but an impressive thrower for the size and current. What you describe might be normal, but pics should help to judge better ...
bernie

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL1 should have about 4X the intensity of the KL4 at a given distance, or about twice the reach of the KL4 at a given intensity. My direct, side by side comparison bears this out.

The KL4 puts out a wider beam with more lumens, though. If you are comparing the two lights at close range under dark ambient conditions, then the KL4 can put out a "wall of light" that is more visually impressive--and more useful--than what the KL1 produces. The KL1 works better than the KL4 when you have to reach out farther and especially if the beam must stand out from ambient lights.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kl1 throws well if you consider the battery life. If you go to flashlightreviews.com and look at the graph with two cells, you'll be amazed.

-David

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E1L was especially useful for spotting details of 30' - 60' distant items in the presence of high ambient lighting. At closer ranges the flood of the KL4 should provide superior usefulness.