Hang up and drive!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The other day I found myself stuck in traffic on a main street in town. When I finally inched my way up to the source of the tie-up I saw what appeared to be a rear-end collision, no doubt caused by inattentive driving.

But as I got close to the accident, I noticed that the woman in the car directly in front of me was having a hard time manuvering around the debris in the road from the accident.

And the main reason she had stopped and was having so much trouble getting by was that she was yakking on her cell phone while looking for a way out. And she absolutely refused to remove the phone from her ear for EVEN ONE SECOND while trying to dodge the accident debris, which almost caused ANOTHER accident! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

What could have possibly been so important that she couldn't take the phone away from her ear for ONE second? In my opinion, the only thing that would cause me to refuse to put down the cell phone would be if I was giving someone CPR instructions over the phone!

HANG UP AND DRIVE.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know exactly what you mean.......when I am walking or riding my bike around town and I see someone on a cell phone I always yell at them to put it away. The speed limit on roads in my town is average of 25 MPH and one time I chased and screamed a person that was babeling away on their phone (with the window open).........needless to say the freaked out and put there phone away........sweet simple satisfaction for safety /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MaxaBaker said:
I chased and screamed a person that was babeling away on their phone (with the window open).........needless to say the freaked out and put there phone away........sweet simple satisfaction for safety /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

MaxaBaker, you're all right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just saw a dash-cam video the other day where a woman was pulled over for speeding and weaving. As the officer approached the car and told her to exit the vehicle, I was astounded to hear her reply "No! I'm calling somebody." The officer repeated his demand that she exit the vehicle or she would be shot with a taser, and she STILL refused.
The conversation went something like this:

LEO: EXIT THE VEHICLE NOW OR I WILL TASE YOU!

Driver: (Talking on the phone) There's a policeman here and...

LEO: EXIT THE CAR NOW OR I WILL TASE YOU!

Driver (on phone) ...and he's gonna shoot me!

LEO: NOW!

Driver: (STILL on phone) Taser?

LEO: EXIT THE VEHICLE!

Driver: (Still yakking on the phone)

LEO: Pop--->Thwip--->ZZZAAAAAPPPPPP

Driver: YEEEEEEIIIIIIIAAAAAGGGGHHHHH....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I DON'T GET IT. How can someone be SO addicted to their cellphone that they will ignore a screaming police officer standing 24 inches away who is about to shoot them?!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
At night if I see this at a stop-light, person yaking away at cellphone, My SF M6 with HOLA shined into their face face is like a deer in headlights. They put it away and I stroll on thinking my car is an undercover truck (I took off all the lettering on the back of my truck and it looks "clean")

In case they pull out a gun, I already have my Fox labs OC spray waiting in my other hand to take care of the situation.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's quite ridiculous behavior on the part of these people. Agreed, what can be so life or death? Besides, as they told me when I was getting my license, if it REALLY IS life or death, stop and explain nicely to the LEOs and they will be able to help you much better than if you just carry on in your own way.

Over here, I think the penalty for cellphone driving is automatic suspension of your license for half a year or a year plus fine and demerit points, the court may order the phone forfeited, and if you don't cooperate with LEOs there are other penalties. I can imagine the above getting at least three doses of what's good for them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I want one of those illegal cell phone jammers! When you have one of them in front of you in the no. 1 lane, shut 'em down! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Uh, guys? These people have the right to talk on the phone. It's not illegal in most places, and has been proven to be no worse than haveing a conversation with a passenger.

The only dangerous part of using a cell while driving is dialing. The distraction of talking on the phone has been studied and found to be about the same as listening to talk radio or talking to a passenger. Many accidents are caused every year as people change the CD or tune the radio. A teenager killed a family of 4 who where riding their bikes together when she looked down at her collection of tapes.

To make it safe, you need to freeze radios, GPSes, CD players and cell phones when the car is moving. You need to prohibit rock (raises anger), classical (may lull teh driver to sleep) and country (may make your dog die and your wife leave you). You also have to ban kids, teenagers, spouses and paerents as passengers. Total strangers are OK if they keep their mouths shut.

BTW, deliberately blinding drivers is considered assult in some jurisdictions, especially if it causes an accident. Be careful. Last time I checked, a gun will reach further than any pepper spray you may buy.

Daniel

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
People have the right to talk on cell phones, but they don't have the right to drive erratically because they're busy on the phone. I have witnessed this firsthand and in general it's worse than messing with the radio because the driver's mind is involved in a two-way conversation, which requires a lot more attention than listening passively to talk radio.

Like I said, I saw a near-accident at the scene of another accident because the driver's mind was occupied with a cell phone call.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't even get me goin about cellphone yakking, automobile driving boneheads!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/phon-bro.htm

Against the law in NY to use a cellphone while driving. Hands free is fine with me, but when one hand is occupied on the phone it decreases reaction time and control of vehicle due to having one arm impaired by holding the phone. Then being aware of the situation is harder with a cellphoine on your ear, try it. I have sat there in my car with a cellphone in my ear and tried to looks around at my blind spots. Difficult for me in a parked car, imagine moving/driving and doing the same thing.

This is relatively close quarters. Less than 5 feet, if I see any movement (usually none since like i said, deer in headlights) its over. I have been sprayed with OC, been in gas chambers, and tested out the one I personally use. It shoots 15-20 feet.

If there ar epeople in the car I make sure they are quite, when I drive, well I drive. Check my mirrors, driving defensively. 99% of the time I drive alone and with at least 8 hours of sleep to be properly rested.

Checked local laws and asked some uniformed officers at the local PD about physical assault (I actually do care about the laws) in their terms and their (2 uniformed officers and one detective) transation of the NY penal code, assault is classified as physical or sexual. I asked them whats the deal with me using my flashlights (put down my Tigerlight and M6 onto the desk) to identify a supicious character and basic usage against feeling threatened. They laughed at me and proceeded to play with my lights (detective had a 6P, and the two PO's had the Streamlight stinger series.) This is only the case when both vehicles are stopped at a traffic light. I certainily will not touch my M6 (which rests in my softdrink holster on the center console (no drinks allowed in my car unless I go grocery shopping and place the drink containers either into my cooler or rubbermaid container) while my car is moving. It is more dangerous for me to use my light while moving at another car. Only when both vehicles are stopped and at a red light and I am abreast to the other car do I do this (usually the other driver has to **** me off by coming to close to my car, or cutting me off.) This has inspired a few friends that are cops to do the same thing (and I opened the door to them into Surefire's, upgrades to their SL, and steer them away from Mag's.) Except none of them have M6's yet (they got families and a budget) but a light and a badge does the same thing.

Surely not everyone is as particular as me to keeping my car dent free. I keep my distance on the highway, look allround me when changing lanes, and I will not cut anyone off to gain 10 feet.

I am a realtively new driver, but some people say I drive like an old person, just coasting along and numerous times had my family and friends fall asleep in the back seat. Mostly boring, no hard braking, weaving in and out of lanes, and the like.

I just leave a CD in my stereo and leave it at that, volume at 10 out of 35. I only change to FM radio when my car is stopped and only leave it on one station (100.3 Z100 in NY.) The CD stays in there unless I am at my house or my destination and only then do I change the CD (and no classical or rock in my player, just 50 cent and his crew of rap stars.)

I also keep aware of bumpers a lot. Usually the people with scuffed up bumpers are careless and don't really care, basically do the tapping the other cars to parallel park and its ok to stop short and kiss the guy in front of you at a slow speed, its a bumper, meant to take hits.

To me my car isn't just a car, its my pet and I will dive in front of a car to protect it (reminds me of the VW commercial of a guy diving into a shopping cart to save it from his car, which I have done once, but I park far enough away from civlization as I can.)

Well that will be it /end rant.

greenLED

Flashaholic
gadget_lover, obviously you haven't been pushed off the road by an $"@#@ talking on their cell phone and invading your lane /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Driving while talking has been shown to share some of the same effects as DUI. I also say: HANG UP AND DRIVE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

jtr1962

Flashaholic
One thing I've always wondered is that people lived without cell phones until maybe ten years ago and nowadays you see people yapping on them all the time. Based on most of the conversations I hear, what is being talked about isn't so urgent that it can't wait until the person gets home. I don't get why people are so addicted to the things. I don't own one. When I go out I simply do not want to be disturbed by phone calls. Indeed, I don't even like talking on the phone at home for any length of time exceeding about two minutes. I just find it tiresome and impersonal. I also find the "I want attention now" factor of phone calls in general very annoying. I much prefer PMs or e-mails which let me respond at my leisure. To me a phone is for emergencies, business calls, and to make arrangements for face-to-face get togethers with friends. Beyond that it has little utility. My own personal opinion is that people who talk on phones a lot, whether mobile or not, do it to either avoid interacting with the people they live with or to avoid doing tasks they would rather not do (this especially includes employees who make personal non-emergency phone calls from work). I suppose posting frequently on CPF might serve a similar function. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I also feel that cell phones are unfairly singled out among driver distractions. I'm all for banning eating, drinking, and car radios/CDs/TVs as well. Food and drinks can spill during a fast manuever and cause the driver to lose control. As for the music, many types of music simply make drivers hyper, for lack of a better word. Also, fiddling with tuners, volume controls, etc. is another distraction. Cell phones are even distracting for pedestrians who will cross the street seemingly oblivous to traffic while talking on one. As a cyclist, I will yield to pedestrians at crosswalks but I give no special quarter to jaywalking pedestrians on cell phones. In fact, buzzing these people at 30+ mph is starting to become a little side sport for me as of late. That usually seems to get some attention.

My mom had an accident in September 2000 because an inattentive driver on her cell phone ran a red light at ~80 mph (in a 30 mph zone no less!) and broad-sided her while she was making a left turn. If not for the fact that she was in an older, heavier car she might well have been killed. Not surprisingly, the other driver suffered an injury to her hand (the one holding the phone). There was a conspicuous crack on her windshield right where the phone hit. That was proof positive she was holding the phone at the time of the accident. If she had cracked the windshield like that with her hand she would have broken every single bone in that hand.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
jtr1962 said:
One thing I've always wondered is that people lived without cell phones until maybe ten years ago and nowadays you see people yapping on them all the time. Based on most of the conversations I hear, what is being talked about isn't so urgent that it can't wait until the person gets home. I don't get why people are so addicted to the things.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, I'm sorry to hear about your mom's accident. I hope she came out of it ok.

I agree with you about cellphone conversations. Most of the conversations I hear on cell phones are about... nothing. And I'm like you - I can't stand to talk on the phone any longer than I have to. If I'm yakking on the phone then it means that I'm not doing something else, and it drives me nuts to put other things on hold for a phone conversation that's running longer than it really needs to be. And it REALLY drives me nuts to see some of those drivers endangering the lives of others because of some need to be yakking on the phone during every waking hour, about... nothing!

I have a cell phone (actually two - one for work and one for personal stuff) but I never use them "just to talk." Why would I want to bombard my skull with microwave radiation any more than I HAVE to?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually had a cell phone for a couple months. I didn't pay for it, and I had way more time than I thought I'd ever need, but I stopped using it. It acted more of a bother I think than it was useful. It now sits on my nightstand acting as an alarm clock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Sorry to hear about your mom jtr1962 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
First off, I'm sorry to hear about your mom's accident. I hope she came out of it ok.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for asking. Yes, she's walking just fine now (about 20 minutes per mile) after rotator cuff surgery, two hip replacements, and three months total rehab in a nursing home from hell. The doctor says she's made the best progress he's ever seen of any patient with similar operations. I'll grant that she might have eventually needed the hip replacements anyway, but the accident pushed them forward by a good ten years at least. BTW, she'll be 67 next January.

I also forget to mention what you did about not being able to do other things when I'm on the phone. I always feel like I could be doing something more important and more interesting whenever I'm talking on the phone.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Jtr said....
My mom had an accident in September 2000 because an inattentive driver on her cell phone ran a red light at ~80 mph (in a 30 mph zone no less!) and broad-sided her while she was making a left turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes a lot of concentration to drive 80 in a 30 zone. (see lane hog thread where the case is made that you are a better driver under such demanding conditions) *LOL*

Seriously, if the person was exceeding the speed limit by 50 MPH in a 30 MPH zone, the cell phone had nothing to do with the accident. It's just plain dangerous to drive that fast in a low speed area. An accident is inevitable if she drove far enough at that speed.

[ QUOTE ]
GreenLED said...

gadget_lover, obviously you haven't been pushed off the road by an $"@#@ talking on their cell phone and invading your lane

Driving while talking has been shown to share some of the same effects as DUI. I also say: HANG UP AND DRIVE!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. With all the miles I drive you'd think it woudl happen at least once, huh? I've had close calls with people who were bad drivers. I've almost driven off the road trying to dial while doing 65 in a truck with sloppy steering.

I've had drivers almost run into me doing a lot of other things, like reading maps, yelling at the kids, etc. I was once followed for 2 miles by a guy reading the news paper. In bumper to bumper, stop and go driving. And my car was 2 weeks old.

I'd like to know what DUI effects are simulated by talking. Where was that study?

[ QUOTE ]
Photon Wrangler said...
the driver's mind is involved in a two-way conversation, which requires a lot more attention than listening passively to talk radio.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, they found people get involved with talk radio, even talking back to the radio and arguing with the speakers. For some it's as distracting as arguing with a passenger.

[ QUOTE ]
Jason said....
Checked local laws and asked some uniformed officers at the local PD about physical assault...

[/ QUOTE ]
You asked the wrong question. Go back and ask them if an assult charge can be brought if you use an M6 with HOLA on the driver of the car next to you at a stoplight. Don't forget to tell them you are doing it to frighten them into putting down theit phones.

Then ask a lawyer if you could be sued when the driver gets frightened and runs over someone. Or runs a red light to get away form you and gets run over by another car.

You will probably get different answers. Phrasing the questions carefully will frequently get you the answer you want. You have to ask it the way the plaintif will phrase it to find out how much trouble you might get into.

BTW, when I got my tear gas permit we learned that just because it could shoot 15 feet did not mean you could hit your target at that range. Fortunately, a lot of shooters can't seem to hit their target at that range either.

Personally, I believe that we already have a law that says it's illegal to drive unsafely and that law should cover the all types of bad driving, including any distracting actions.

Daniel

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daniel, maybe I wasn't too specific in my reply to this. I told them about bad drivers and the whole cellphone issue. They ARE endangering my life by either almost side swiping me, or crashing into me from behind. I been doing this since I got my car 2 months ago (only did it 4 times though, and 3 out of those 4 were women) and they laughed at me for doing it. They did say the possible dangers of other weapons coming into play, but I told them the whole thing with the cellphone usage and cutting me off almost taking out my front headlight because the driver was 'THAT' close.

If the other driver ran the red light, it would be his/her problem. I didn't physically 'force' them to run it, nor did I order them to run it. It was their decision. I just turned on the light and told them to get off the phone, its against the law to talk on it while operating a vehicle. Most human's would follow simple and direct orders when overwhelmed with light, pretty much along the lines of placing a charge on a door and blowing it, the people inside if the charge was placed correctly, would be disoriented and try to move to corners, and operators taking over the room come in so fast and give simple and stern orders, almost all comply. The point is, I don't use it to frighten them, I use it to get their attention so they can shut the **** up for one second and listen to what I have to say; which is simply "Turn off your cellphone, you almost hit me back there." Then it hits them, yeah I almost did hit you back there. Some people just don't care, it takes them a few moments to realize they put their life in danger and mine.

But in all my situations the driver was less than 15 feet away. I would estimate ballpark, 5-6 feet. If I was such a bad shot, maybe I deserved to get shot.

Sure maybe cellphones are pointed at more than others for problems. It should be fixed. Soccer moms dealing with kids (should just bind and gag the kids if they are that unruly, but thats another topic) people 'talking' to their radios, but doesn't almost being driven off the road by some dude in a truck dialing count for something?

Sure there are bad drivers out there, but these things just compound their bad driving habits and bring their 'crappy' driving to a whole new meaning.

Maybe I am sterotyping and using weird and menacing actions but if I feel my life is threatened, I will do wahtever possible to save lives. Some people jsut don't care, they cut me off, and I flash them my highs, they just speed on like nothing happened, some of them flip me the finger. I don't even honk my horn anymore since these agressive, this is my road, you better move for me mentality think their right by cutting me off, almost side swiping me and endangering my life is my fault.

Logging in 7,000 miles in 2 1/2 months I've seen a lot. People fall asleep at the wheel and crash into the median (I sleep enough to go on the road, or I just don't drive and stay home or wherever I may be and sleep), cellphone drivers crash into other cars, soccer moms try to control their kids veer off the road into a tree, another soccer mom yakking on the phone and eating lose control and slam into the base of a bridge, some lady applying make-up rear-ending the person in front of her during traffic, the list goes on and on.

Sometimes they should make road tests harder. I've been through alot of driving courses. I got my driver's improvement card, took defensive driving, did the whole maneuver around the cones deal with regular sized cars up to the massively big (compared to what I drive) Hummer H1 which has a lot of blind spots, and got graded on it. The NY road test was a walk in the park compared to the other tests and evalutations I took.

Ever drive in a populated area? (LA, San Diego, NYC, Washington DC, Detroit, etc. etc.) Compared to rural areas and suberbia, the city is unruling in terms of bad drivers with no courtesy or common sense, as I get out into the sticks and rural areas, people are polite, drive well, and know the right of way, vs. in NY the common thought of most drivers is "I got the right away, I will glady run you over to get where I need to go 10 seconds faster."

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a vehicle stopped with the woman driver blabbing on her cell phone. I asked her a question and she gave me an answer to a question I didn't ask between sentences to her phone. Why don't we just shut off the engine and have a little talk with my fellow officers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I had another, cholo-looking kid, put his black cell phone up to my face behind the sun visor as I approached the door (in order to move the visor). After I recovered from my heart attack, I told him that was a good way to get shot during future vehicle stops.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
Seriously, if the person was exceeding the speed limit by 50 MPH in a 30 MPH zone, the cell phone had nothing to do with the accident. It's just plain dangerous to drive that fast in a low speed area. An accident is inevitable if she drove far enough at that speed.

[/ QUOTE ]
The point I was trying to make was that she didn't realize she was going that fast because her attention was focused on her phone, not on her speedometer, and certainly not on the red light up ahead. She did manage by some miracle to hit the brake so at least she didn't plow into my mom at 80. My best estimate that the impact speed was somewhere in the 35 to 50 mph range. Here's my mom's car (she actually still drives that same car today believe it or not):

Accident_1.JPG

Here's the car that hit her:

Accident_2.JPG

Note the cracked windshield where the cell phone hit:

Accident_3.JPG

Here's the intersection:

Accident_4.JPG

My mom's car followed the path in yellow, the car that hit her followed the path in red. The path in orange was more or less the path taken after impact. Also note that these are typical main arterial roads for New York City. Despite the posted 30 mph limit, most traffic except buses moves on this road at 40 to 50 mph barring congestion, obstacles, or red lights of course. The buses usually seem to go around 55 or so if they're not stopping. Both roads here are practically laid out like expressways. It didn't take that much skill to keep the car on the road at 80 for the few blocks or however long she had been driving like that. In fact, the section of Francis Lewis Boulevard that this women was on is a stretch of about 10 blocks with no lights or intersections. The locals used to (and probably still do cops not withstanding) use this section as a drag racing strip, sometimes reaching speeds well in excess of 100 mph according to my brother who used to enjoy watching the "show".

I'll also point out that these *are* typical urban arterial roads with stoplights every few blocks, other intersections where cross traffic has stop signs every 250 or so feet, parallel-parked cars pulling into traffic, pedestrian crosswalks, and of course driveways. While it's a relative rarity, I *do* occasionally see normal people (not drag racers) driving on these roads at 60, 70, or 80 for some unfathomable reason. I've even seen a few cars doing better than 100 on these exact same roads. More often than not, these drivers were seemed to be holding something to their ear as best as I could see when they whizzed by. With today's grossly overpowered cars it doesn't take long to reach speeds like this and not even realize it if you're distracted with a phone call. And as you said, an accident is pretty much inevitable when you're doing 80 in a 30 zone, even on well laid out roads like these.

BTW, I see this nonsense all the time when I ride. Drivers on cell phones run red lights without even realizing they're doing so, and often without slowing down a bit. This is in addition to usually driving grossly above any sane and reasonable speed for the types of roads in question.

In case anyone is interested, here is a letter I wrote to the insurance company on behalf of my mom regarding my observations:

[ QUOTE ]

To Whom It May Concern:

The following is a series of deductions made from my observations of the accident scene and the vehicles involved in an accident which occurred on Sunday, September 10, 2000 at approximately 12 noon in the intersection of Francis Lewis Boulevard and Union Turnpike, County of Queens, State of New York, United States of America. The accident involved three vehicles. Henceforth, vehicle number one is a 1999 Nissan Altima, vehicle number two is a 1978 Lincoln Continental, and vehicle number three is a large van of unknown make and model.

Vehicle number two was going North on Francis Lewis Boulevard and was making a left turn from the left turn lane in order to proceed West on Union Turnpike. Vehicle number one was proceeding South on Francis Lewis Boulevard going straight when vehicle number one struck the right front quarter panel of vehicle number two which was in the process of turning left. The impact pushed vehicle number two into vehicle number three which was proceeding East on Union Turnpike but was stopped at the time for a red signal. These facts are not in dispute, and my examination of the damage to vehicles one and two is consistent with the damage that would occur in such a collision.

The sequence of lights at this intersection is as follows: Francis Lewis Boulevard has a green signal for approximately 25 seconds. This is followed by yellow and red signals after which Union Turnpike has green signal for approximately 40 seconds. After Union Turnpike gets yellow and red signals but before Francis Lewis Boulevard gets a green signal again the left turn lanes on Francis Lewis Boulevard get a green left turn arrow which lasts approximately 12 seconds, followed by a yellow arrow and then a red signal. It is only after the left turn lanes get the red signal that Francis Lewis Boulevard again has a green signal. The driver of vehicle number two clearly remembers seeing a green arrow while she was making her turn. Furthermore, she also remember seeing vehicles on the two northbound lanes of Francis Lewis Boulevard stopped for a red signal. Because vehicle number three was stopped for a red signal on Union Turnpike, this means that both streets had red signals at the time of the accident. The only time this occurs is when the left turn lanes of Francis Lewis Boulevard have a green left turn arrow. Therefore, the driver of vehicle number two was proceeding legally.

The driver of vehicle number one states that she had a "green light" in the police report. As one can see by the sequence of signals described above any driver making a left turn when the green arrow is on can be assured that the thru traffic on Francis Lewis Boulevard has already had a red signal for approximately 40 seconds. A driver trying to "make the light" on Union Turnpike is likely to collide with a vehicle turning left on Francis Lewis Boulevard since Union Turnpike gets yellow and then red signals immediately before the left turn arrow on Francis Lewis Boulevard comes on. However, in order for a driver on Francis Lewis Boulevard to collide with a vehicle turning legally with the left turn arrow they would have to pass a signal that was already red for at about 40 seconds. This fact coupled with the driver of vehicle number two's clear recollection of northbound vehicles stopped for a red signal on Francis Lewis Boulevard indicates that either the memory of the driver of vehicle number one is faulty, or she lied in the police report, or she simply had no idea whether the signal was red or green because she had not been paying attention to her driving, and said the signal was green out of self-interest. This last possibility is most likely and is supported by my observations of the wreckage of both vehicles and the crash scene.

I arrived at the crash scene at approximately 4:30 PM on Sunday, September 10, 2000(about 4 hours, 30 minutes after the accident). The day was a sunny day with no rain. I did not observe any skid marks at all in the southbound lanes of Francis Lewis Boulevard and the driver of vehicle number two does not remember hearing any screeching of brakes or tires prior to the collision. When proceeding southbound on Francis Lewis Boulevard the intersection with Union Turnpike is clearly visible from a distance of at least 1000 feet away. I often cycle on this road and can see the traffic signal from 73rd Avenue, which is about 2000 feet away. Furthermore, vehicle number two is a large, conspicuous vehicle which was at least three-quarters into its left turn and therefore in the intersection for at least three seconds prior to the collision. The fact that vehicle number two nearly completed its turn is supported by the presence its tire marks on the crosswalk immediately adjacent to where vehicle two hit vehicle three. The tire marks were the result of vehicle number two being pushed nearly sideways by vehicle number one. If the driver of vehicle one was proceeding at 40 mph or less and observing the road ahead she would have had ample time to stop and avoid the collision. Even if she had the green signal as she claimed she still should have been able to avoid the collision unless she had been going well in excess of 40 mph and/or not paying attention to the road. The absence of skid marks indicates she was not even aware of the presence of vehicle number two until she collided with it.

On Monday, September 11, 2000 I observed the wreckage of both vehicles. I noticed that the windshield of vehicle number one was shattered in the upper driver's side. The breakage pattern was consisent with that produced by an impact with a blunt instrument hitting the windshield from the inside. The driver of vehicle number one suffered injuries to her left hand, but the injuries would have been far more severe if her hand alone had caused the broken windshield. The driver of vehicle number two observed the driver of vehicle number one holding a cellular telephone. It is highly likely that the broken windshield was caused by the impact of the cellular phone and that this phone was in use by the driver of vehicle number one prior to the accident. I believe that the driver of vehicle number one may have glanced at the intersection several hundred feet away, mistook a green left turn arrow for a green signal, and then proceeded to turn her eyes away from the road while dialing a number on her cellular phone. She then had the collision while her attention was still focused on her telephone instead of the road. This would explain the lack of any attempt at all to slow down or avoid the collision. It is my opinion that the driver's use of her cellular telephone was the primary cause of this collision. I further recommend that said telephone be seized as evidence and examined for damage consistent with my theory. It is clear from the complete absence of skid marks at the accident scene that the driver of vehicle number one was oblivious to the impending collision due to being distracted by something else. As there were no passengers in her vehicle at the time, the most likely culprit is her cellular telephone.

Sincerely,
JTR
(son of driver of vehicle number two)

[/ QUOTE ]

Note the section I bold-faced . In retrospect the absence of skid marks is likely because of antilock brakes which led me to my more recent conclusion that the women was driving much faster than 40 mph and did in fact slow down somewhat before hitting my mom. My (recent) estimate of 80 mph was based on the clear sight distance of the far right lane when it was partially obscured cars stopped for the red light in the middle and left lanes, combined with the fact that my mom simply didn't even see the other driver coming. I figured she could see at least 120 feet of the far right lane prior to the crosswalk at all times, and habitually glances at least once each second when turning. To go 120 feet between glances equates to 80 mph. Since the impact speed was well under 80, the driver did have a chance to slow down somewhat. If she managed to brake for 200 feet, she could have went from 80 down to 40. If she had been going 40 to begin with, she could have stopped in about 75 feet, and she would have easily seen my mom's car at even twice that distance despite the blocked middle and left lanes. I only wish cars had black boxes so as to eliminate most guesswork from accident scenes.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
jtr, those pictures say it all; distracted driving kills.

I've seen for myself that handheld cellphones and driving don't mix. Neither does driving while applying mascara, reading the paper, scratching the dog, playing with the kids, turning around to talk to someone in the back seat, or even... watching a DVD in a dashboard-mounted screen. I can't believe that they're actually putting DVD players in the dashboard where the driver can watch a movie! That's a fatal accident waiting to happen.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

But to get back to cellphones, just because other forms of distracted driving can also cause accidents doesn't mean that we should ignore the problem of cellphones. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Latest posts