help me pick a mountain bike

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok this will be my only trasoprtion.there are few side walks and things are farther away from me now.like today i went like 20 miles round trip to just go to big lots .so i need a depenedbale mountain bike thats very light .i want the cheapest one there is thats rated high and is light.any recomdations?

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
whoa, 20 miles of walking to go to Big lots??

My cousin was deep into mountain bikes a few years back and he had a really nice Trek, think he paid $1500-$2000 after some mods (top of the line Shimano shifters, new tires, and nitrous (I think) in the tires to keep them more stable at speed.

But that is not cheap, so I am sure someone else could chime in. I had to reply to this thread because 20 miles is a trek within itself just to go to biglots. Maybe a good pair of running shoes, lol.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi Raggie I know nothing about bikes not sure what to do as for bikes I spent around 200 bucks at Wallyworld for my son.I thought it was high priced. I suggest you get a bike at K-mart or Wallyworld not spending 2000.00 just 200.00
I also suggest you PM me your name and address so I can help a little, I think other folks will help if you let them
I am here if you need me Raggie.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ty topper im ok but thank you for offer.ill work it out.ol part of the distance is i got lost rofl i get so turned around i got lost on the way there and way back lol on way back i asked a police officer dierections he gave em wrong lucky there was some one who over heard us and she told me corect.im sunburnt a tad to much sun . iahve a bike now but it has problems and is to big for me caus eim pretty sure like 5,5 or 5,6 but i say im 5,4 cuaes im not sure but 5,5 seems corect..i like rideing but i sure need to learn how to get around better my sence a directions are awefull.there is a bus service but i think it is only runing on weekedays and i dont like being around lots a people i get to nervess.i dont mind walking it is good for me but bike is faster

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get an excellent entry-level mountainbike from a GOOD local bike shop.

I cannot be sure, but you should be able to get a good one for ~$400. Fuji, KHS, Giant, Jamis, Trek, Motobecane, and Raleigh tend to have good bang-for-the-buck.
Shop around, there are some good deals out there on last-year's bikes.

A few examples:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/xc_hardtail/
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_123242.shtml
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_123244.shtml
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_123258.shtml
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_123323.shtml

I will say that there is nothing wrong with a department store bike, overall. But, they tend to be very cheaply made, HEAVY, and the components are often proprietary--you cannot easily get replacements! Further, some parts are totally non-standard.

Major brands found at a bike shop will use more standard and easily attainable parts.

I recommend a mountainbike over any other because it is the most versatile. Try taking a roadbike off-road and see what I mean! (Yeah, I know, cyclocross...)

Make sure you get the proper size!!!!!
A good bike shop will help you do this.
They will also help you set up the bike properly.

Get a helmet and wear it!!!
A good one can be had for ~$20.

Edit: sorry for the rambling post, no coffee onboard yet!

Suggestions:
1. Determine your budget.
2. Go to a GOOD bike shop, look around. Tell them your needs.
3. They will fit you to a proper bike.
4. You will also need a helmet, bottle cages and bottles, saddle bag, simple toolkit (with tire levers, and possibly a chain tool), mini-frame pump, spare tube and tire patches. Believe me, you do not want to be stranded 20 miles from home with a busted bike.

Take care,
Bob

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, if you don't plan on riding it in the woods, then perhaps you might consider a hybrid. It will be lighter, cheaper, traverse pavement better and will handle bumpy and dirt roads. You just can't go off in the woods with it. Well, I've done well packed fire trails with my hybrid but you can't go off and do single track. For about $300, you can get a decent entry level hybrid, you'd be hard pressed to do that with a mountain bike. I paid $650 for my hybrid five or six years ago (Trek 7500) and it has served me well and never broken down. I actually ride it more then I do my much more expensive racing bike I bought some time before that.

As far as light weight with either a mountain or hybrid bike, you pay a lot more just to shave off a little weight. You'd be better off to concentrate on the tires that suit your need. For an instance if you do mostly road riding with your mountain bike, you don't want the big knobby off road tires, you want something with a small center tread. That would give you much more ease in pedeling that shaving a couple of pounds off the bike.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, yeah. A hybrid would do well. Those big wheels roll nicely (providing a kind of suspension) and those narrow/slick-er tires are usually more efficient.

The more upright riding position might be nice too.

What is your height, raggie? Do oyu happen to know your inseam?

Bob

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im like 5 foot 5 inches.30 inch jeans are a tad to long for me.i do ride in the woods sometimes yesterday i was rideing in the lake water and thru the trails at the park near my house last night.lol but thur the woods the front tire kept lifting when i was going up steep hill on trail

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well maybe you should keep your existing bike for the woods and consider a different one for errand duty. If you're doing 20 miles on pavement with a full fledged mountain bike with two inch knobby tires, well let's just say you are getting one heckuva workout! If you have suspension that even makes it worse.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
the bad thing is i live on lake on botem a hill both ways i use more energy going 1 mile then the rest a trip.its steep

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can get to Wal-mart, they carry Schwinn and Mongoose. Both have always rated very well in my book (ever since I was a kid). I know Schwinn is now owned by Pacific, and possibly Mongoose is, too, but those Pacific bikes aren't that bad. I saw someone at the local bike shop who had a Pacific frame that was completely tricked out for downhill competition, and I can't imagine anybody putting well over a grand in parts onto a crappy frame. I actually bought a Schwinn from there last year for my girlfriend's birthday, and it has an aluminum frame, rims, and cranks, and is Shimano equipped. It rides nice and is fairly lightweight. I think it was priced at $159.99. They've got cheaper ones, too. If you're just looking for transportation, they've got a Roadmaster (probably owned by Pacific...heard they own a lot of 'em now) for $53.99. I got my Gary Fisher for only $269.99, but it's got a steel frame on it and probably not as light as the Schwinn, but it has better components and its frame geometry actualy makes it feel like a really light bike (my friend actually said, "man, this thing is light!", after pulling the front end up into a wheelie)

You can probably find something that's ok at Big K(mart), or Target. If it's got aluminum rims, and aluminum cranks, it's probably good enough for what you need it for. If I didn't know you were on a tight budget, I'd suggest putting on a bicycle motor, then you'd really have some decent transpo. I think Dimensions Edge (website)has some which, with an optional roller, can propel you up to 40 mph!

vtunderground

Enlightened
I'm with Pedalinbob on this one - a decent bike shop would be your best option. Especially since you're not just looking for any old bike, but one that fits. And for something that's going to be primary transportation, a brand name bike from a decent bike shop will prove to be more reliable than something from Wal-Mart.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
go to the pawn shop, I got a north star there for $35.00. they don't know much about bike there. good luck.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not realize money was tight for you, raggie.

My guess based upon your pants-size is that you would probably need a small size frame (14"-16") to get proper standover. I am 5'8", with long legs--actual 32" inseam, and usually ride a medium frame.

To find standover, you need to stand over the bike with both feet flat. There should be 2-3" clearance between the top tube and your crotch.

I considered donating a frame to you, but it would be too large, I am sure. I figured the parts from your GT could be swapped to it.

Maybe you could find a nice ride inexpensively...keep us posted, bro.

Bob

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Raggie, check with the local city government to find out if either the city or the police department is having an auction anytime soon.

Most of the junk they're selling is either crap, or is snapped up by resellers who know what they're looking for and how much to pay, but the one thing they usually have an over-abundance of is bikes! They're either stolen goods that were confiscated, and the police can't find the owners after the grace period. Other bikes are city confiscations from when work crews cut bikes loose that were locked onto illegal things like gates, mailboxes etc. and the owners never claimed them.

There's lots of department store junk, and some nice ones too. Most medium sized or larger cities have so many bikes the bidding isn't too fierce, or they even just have a flat rate of $5, 10, or 20 for a bike.

From what I've seen, most people are interested in cheap bikes for their kids. Many people are too lazy to want a bike when they're old enough to drive, or, if they're a cycling enthusiast, they just go to the high-end stores for their gear. So sometmes you can find great bikes for pennies on the dollar, because the competition at the auction isn't too fierce.

Even if all you find are cheap department store Huffy bikes etc. at the prices they can go for, you can just buy a few of them and ride them until they break, or canibalize the others for parts.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lots a good info everyone.far as my size my gt that has 18 inch frame is higher then i am.i have to step on toes to be comfy

raggie33

*the raggedier*
how is this bike i ride off road but the bigest bumps i hit is jumping off curbs and hiting rocks like 5 inches tasll do i need front shock ?if so i guess i can take it off my old bike? here is the bike im looking at i rather have something nicer but does this look ok?how about the next step up the 3700 i dont realy like hybrids to much
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_123241.shtml

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I see the reviewers like it. I certainly like my Trek. Again I caution you to seriously consider the tires. If you do plan on doing a lot of street riding but maybe an ocassional foray into the woods, I think you can get a combo tire with a smoother center tread but still some agreesion on the outside. Not quite as good in the woods as all knobby but a much better street experience. Maybe Pedlin Bob or someone with more experience can pipe in on this.