Volts/Amps for rechargeable battery

robo

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know exactly how much mAh the Surefire B90 rechargeable Battery for the 8NX/9AN provides??? And is it correct that it has 3.6Volts (3x1.2Volts)???????

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's my understanding that the capacity is 1800 mah. I haven't seen SF spec the capacity, but I've heard that it is the same as Streamlight's.

Brock measured the current drain on an 8NX at 2.05 amps. At a rated run time of 50 minutes that's consistent with 1800 mah.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just think how much reserve that big battery would be if all that space was nimh, groan. People have mentioned about hommade B90 nimh replacements but I would grab one in a heartbeat if an aftermarket B90 nimh came out.

robo

Newly Enlightened
I´ve read several times that some guys wanted to make their own "B90"s by connecting cells out of the RC-cars market. Has anybody been successful with that??? I think someone mentioned 2500 and 3000 mah NiMH Batteries. And would the SF charger be able to charge these batteries without damaging itself??

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a few memebers has been using 3000ma NiMH and 2400ma NiCd for their streamlights and SFs.

I was just wondering why there's no after market suppliers for prepacked batteries for SF and SL.

Alan

machspass

Newly Enlightened
Robo, I'm not too familiar with the B90, but I've made several different battery packs for replacement in various electronic devices. It sounds like it's a three cell light. Do you know what the size of the batteries are? Sounds like "AA" (mignon) cells.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The B90 is a pack of 3 sub C cells. The bottom negative battery surface is exposed for charging. A positive nipple that looks like a 9V male nipple is in the center of the top surrounded by concentric circles of insulator, negative contact for the lamp spring, and more insulation.

I have posted an unseconded request on the Surefire board inquiring where one can go to get this connector hardware for a battery pack. Presumably the negative contact bar that rises from the bottom is standard, but the top contact areas aren't.

I am under the impression that many custom battery packs have been built with the skeletons of old B90s. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

robo

Newly Enlightened
Hi machspass (is this german?),

seems that lemlux has all the info you would need to make a B90 replacement. I could mail
some digital-closeup-photos if that helps...

I really would like to know how you made your battery-replacements......

Jonathan

Enlightened
I'd also be interested in finding these connectors...not to make a B90 battery, but because I need a battery pack that I can screw a water proof cap onto.

Regards,
Jonathan Edelson

machspass

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robo:
Hi machspass (is this german?),<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richtig, es ist Deutsch!
grin.gif

You're the first person to comment on it! I use it as my e-mail name too, and surprisingly, none of my German colleagues have asked me about it!
shocked.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>seems that lemlux has all the info you would need to make a B90 replacement. I could mail
some digital-closeup-photos if that helps...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, he certainly knows the details on how they're constructed! Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with the special custom contact or connector that this pack uses. Yes, some close-up pictures would be good.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I really would like to know how you made your battery-replacements......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I really haven't put together anything with special assemblies, like lemlux described. The battery packs I have put together, I have either soldered wires to and permanently installed in the device, or have soldered a standard connector to, to be connected into the device. Actually, the companies I order the batteries from will spot weld metal strips to the batteries for connecting because it's extremely difficult and possibly damaging to solder directly to the battery. They will assemble the pack for me, if it's a standard configuration. If not, they just send them to me and I solder wires to the strips to assemble as needed.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
machspass,

i saw your name and thought funny - you once posted you lived in germany and/or mentioned something about Frankfurt if I remember right --- didn´t realized you were german though.

For soldering directly to cells - no problem at all if you are a bit careful - as you can read german this site might be helpful - it works - soldered my 12 cell packs this way

"Batt-Mann"

CU

Klaus

K-T

*Moderator*
All the hassle about getting the positive and the negative pole of the B90 on the one side is only interesting for the 8X/AX/NX. This is the way the switch of these lights works. They have two springs on their LA. When you press the button on the tailcap the longer ones of the springs is pushed together to let the positive end of the battery make contact. If you have a LA, try it. The mechanism is quite simple. The 9N/AN works like standard batteris. I think there it would be enough just weld them together. The construction of getting both contacts on one side is not needed for that light. Maybe it would be enough to just drop three cells inthere without soldering them together. And the "inline" soldering is not that hard. With a little bit of practice you pretty much get the idea of how to do it. It is more challenging to get the soldering spots as thin as possible to aquire a battery pack that is not too long but doesn't break apart.

Hope to have helped a bit.

Klaus II.
wink.gif

machspass

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Klaus:
machspass,

i saw your name and thought funny - you once posted you lived in germany and/or mentioned something about Frankfurt if I remember right --- didn´t realized you were german though.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You remember correctly. I lived in Frankfurt six months last year for business. I'm from the USA (though I do have some German heritage.) I thought the name "machspass" describes me well, was unique, and would get a few questions from people.
grin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>For soldering directly to cells - no problem at all if you are a bit careful - as you can read german this site might be helpful - it works - soldered my 12 cell packs this way<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can read/write/speak German fairly well, but I'm certainly not fluent.
tongue.gif
I'm only afraid now that I don't use it daily, I'll forget it all!
frown.gif
mad.gif
I worked hard to learn German and am proud of my accomplishments.
wink.gif
cool.gif
Fortunately, those six months helped improve my technical vocabulary (fachwortschatz). That was a good article. Pretty clever!