Questions on a few headlamps

WDR65

Enlightened
Hey guys,
I've been comparing headlamps fairly hard over the past few days and I've pretty much narrowed myself down to luxeon led's (my first purchase in this area) and also to what's availible locally at REI and other stores. I'd really appreciate any advice or opinions on these three lights. Oh yeah, also. I'm looking for short to medium range stuff and because I think I'm going to want to get the Princeton Tec Apex when it comes out I really don't want to spend too much more than $50 this time around. Although if the Myo XP is that much better than I might have to go ahead and get it. Mainly I need something bright enough to see about 15 feet in front of me when walking and an option of a brighter light to pinpoint certain things. I've been using my Surefire A2 with a Nite Ize headband, and the led's are just about right for walking around and sidestepping snakes, but the incandescent's runtime is not long enough and its awkward mounted on the side of my head.

a.) Black Diamond Zenix IQ, don't know much about Black Diamond so any opinions/advice would be great. Also, is it regulated?

b.)Princteon Tec EOS, neat light. This one started the search, but I'm not a big fan of AAA's. I don't have many other things that use them.

c.)Petzl Myo XP, Seems loaded with features, but the lack of regulation bugs me a bit.

Thanks in advance guys.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I like the EOS but I find it too spotty and not floody enough.

I can't comment on the others.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have the EOS and just like Cognitivefun says, too much of a spot. But out in the dark, it performs well enough, esp for the price. What someone did (sorry can't remember exactly who) was he opened up the EOS and replace the optics with a MiniMag reflector. He says its a perfect fit, with exception to bottom 'legs' of the reflector, which he had to file off a little to make it fit snugly. With this the light became more of a flood than just spot. Hope this helps, sorry don't have any of the other 2 lights as well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I have a few headlamps and the ones I prefer are:
Petzl Tikka Plus vairable brightness, light, tilting head. Flood only.
Petzl Zipka small & light. I take one with me in all of my travels. Flood only.
Princeton Tec Corona great general purpose headlamp. The head tilts and has vairable brightness. Flood only.
Princeton Tec Yukon HL This light has throw with the Luxeon and flood with the LEDs.

If you buy the Yukon HL at REI, you might want to test them for the tint of the Luxeon. I bought four and three were nice and white, but the fourth had a warm tint.

WDR65

Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys. For now I picked up the Black Diamond Zenix IQ, it fit most of my requirments its seems and the price wasn't too bad. I plan to pick up an EOS soon as well and a Zipka or Tikka. I've figured out how useful these things are now. I checked all out that were suggested and each had features I liked. Can't hardly wait for the PT apex

Still looking for a little feedback on Black Diamond though, I can still take this light back if I don't think its gonna be good in the long term. So any opinions on that would be still be good. I'm not really biased one way or the other I like PT, Petzl and Black Diamond, or at least certain products from each company. So any more info would be great.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I moved away from Petzl and am liking BD products more and more. I like the "IQ" features of the Zenix, but I don't like the feel of it... kinda cheap plastic... or maybe I'm not ready for the unconventional shape, I dunno.