Keeping LEDs in HOT cars hurting them ???

jtice

Flashaholic
I installed an Inova T4 under, and to the side of the steering column in my truck last night.
I think the T4 will made an EXCELLENT truck light, with its charging cradle holding the light there, fully charged for when ever I need it.

But, when I went to get in the truck today, the sun was blaring and it was HOT in the truck.
You know, those days you can barely sit on the seats, or touch anything.

The light it self is very hot, its not in direct sunlight, but its very hot.
Any hotter, and I wouldnt be able to hold it.

For the most part, it will never actually be used during that time, but I am also worried about it getting that hot every afternoon.

Is this going to shorten the life of the led, to the point where its noticable?
Maybe making it dimmer sooner than it should be?

Also, the T4 has a litium cell in it, much like a 18650 or Pila.
What is going to happen to that cell?
And chance of explosion or leakage?

Thanks guys
~John

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would worry more about the rechargeable battery than the LED. My cell phone has a warning about charging the Li-ion battery in extreme hot or cold, although apparently just exposing the battery to those conditions does less harm. But if you keep the T4 in a charging cradle all of the time, then it's going to get charged under hot conditions.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't know much about the T4 but I would *guess* 5mm LEDs that are not hard overdriven would be ok with the heat and luxeons probably underdriven likewise. I would think overdriven luxeons may have a harder time getting rid of heat starting off at 120 degrees but if it is lower than the maximum operating temperature it will still dissipate the heat in the upper ranges instead.

Batteries could actually *help* in this case as they may end up actually being weaker due to the heat thus throttling back and overdrive and sort of balancing out the heat problem.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lynx, but if they are lithiums I don't think the heat will affect their performance much...

Tice, I think as long as you don't turn it on with it that hot it will be ok. Storage temps on luxeons where pretty high I can't remember what they were though. Only advers affects I've seen is if a luxeon has a bubble in the dome then it will shift and rise to the top if the light is laid on it's side and move around...

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks for the input guys.

Charging isnt an issue.
The T4 charging cradle will not charge if the temp is over 115 F

As I said, most the time, I wont use the light when its that hot, unless I run out to the truck and grab it,
besides, its only gonna get that hot in the sunlight, and i SHOULDNt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif need the light then.

The temp shouldnt effect the Li-Ions performance, I just didnt want to shorten its life, or MINE when it explodes. :grenn:

~John

dougmccoy

Enlightened
From my limited knowledge the battery overheating, would/could outgas with the potential to pop the tube if it couldn't dissipate the pressure. However, in practice I think something would give in the lens switch area before it would explode like that. As to the luxeon I have not read anything to say that storage in high temps degrades the LED. If it does I'm sure you would have a warranty claim as its not mentioned as a taboo in the T&C's of the warranty.

Doug

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
agrees with asdalton.
i would only worry that the leds are already "up to temp" if i then turned it on, and it ALSO didnt have any way to cool when on.

but them lithiums in the hot baking sun, i would prefer were under the seat or something.

course for a while you will have a reduced "delta" temperature differential. so a heat dissipator would not have a lot of cool anywhere to have a big difference in temps, Where the emitter thing could move heat to , and out.