Mini Maglite

Makarov

Enlightened
I got one and I'm quite happy, but I see from others posters that there are LED's for the MM that doesn't have that much artifacts. I don't care though.

I run my MM on cheap alkaline batteries and it works great.

Add a Kroll clickie switch and a new lens from www.flashlightlens.com and you have a nice EDC light.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on whether your priority is runtime or brightness.

Nexgen 750 with TWOJ (from the Shoppe) and 20mm reflector will blow your socks off.

Bradlee

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:

Nexgen 750 with TWOJ (from the Shoppe) and 20mm reflector will blow your socks off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the link to the Nexgen 750 at the shoppe: NG750
It will definately be brighter, but at $50, price may (or may not) be a factor for you.

-Brad

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
I have both the TLE-5 and the NG 750 from the Shoppe. The Mini Mag with the TLE-5 is actually in my wife's car and I am confident that if she ever needs a light, it will be ready to go. The NG 750 is definitely brighter with a lot more throw (I have the 17 mm reflector). I don't have a SF E1 or E2 to compare, but I am very happy with the NG 750.

Reaper

Enlightened
Since I can't find my older MM Q3L, I have to get another drop-in. How much brighter is the NG 750 over the Q3L, heat-wise and run-time? I plan to drop it in a 2AA minimag with the 20mm reflector.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:

[/ QUOTE ]

What if your priority is increased runtime with no loss of output relative to the original? Thanks.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then the Terralux would be alright, really. I've got one, and to me it's the basic LED in a Maglite. They could make it better, and if you didn't already have a Minimag you could get a much better light for the money, but if you've got a good minimag you'd like to upgrade it's a decent option. The Opalec Newbeam is also a good choice. .

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Opalec is a quite worthwhile upgrade to a Minim*g.

But if TWOJ is a LUXIII, I VERY VERY much recommend it!!!

The Opalec hasn't the punch for much of anything in ambient light, but ROCKS in quality dark. And runs 8+ hours on Alkaline AAs.

My EDC is a LUXIII from Lambda with a modded stock MM reflector. The 20mm is supposed to ROCK! My Lambda will go about 2 hours on NimH, which at my usage gets me a week easy before recharging. The ONLY task in which I've found the LUXIII lacking is looking down into drums and tanks in bright sunshine. For everything else I absolutely LOVE it!

And nobody looks twice at a minim*g, so the WOW factor is there!

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Both the Terralux TLE5 (ministar, with 1W lux) and TLE10 (microstar, with 0.5W nichia) are cheap, bright, easy to install and massively extend the mag battery life. Both have irritating beam defects though.

Either will impress your non-flashaholic mates in a mag!

AuroraLite

Enlightened
TotalNewB.: Please check out my humble writeup of Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag mod there are building/installation notes for many Minimag mods featured (section 3).

Personally, I would recommend getting the recent RY0J MM lite from Shoppe, which has an incredible value at this price for the performance(as featured in my guide).

Another great option is the BBNG500/Lambda MPIII sammie which both had a great balance between brightness/runtime; wihch both could be well run by Alkaline/Nimh/3V Li batteries.

Good luck with you mod!

Nemul: Also, in the same link, the last 'runtime beamshot' of section 4 had featured comparison between NG500, NG750 and Lambda MPIII. Please feel free to check it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks AuroraLite! Out of those three what would be the best
for a LuxIII UX1L?

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Nemul.

The answer will depend on what kind of expectation you will have by using the UX1L /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you are planning to have a super 'wow' effect with the UX1L in Minimag, I would suggest to go NG650(or BBNG 750); but the runtime might be really short for any 'practical' use(if you look at the 'runtime beamshot', TW0J NG750 w/ Nimh batteries shows signs of 'flickering' at around 31 min; which means the UX1L would start 'flickering' sooner than that)

If you are trying to get a more acceptable runtime, go with BBNG 500 or Lambda MPIII.

On the other hand, personally, if I were to find a use for this UX1L, I would drive it to the max with a current regulated board--either by using a DB 1000 or Wiz2 1000 with 2 123(or multiple Nimh) in another host(Mag C/D, Aleph, PM6). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif