Difference between blue and royal blue luxeons?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Difference between blue and royal blue luxeons

RB will be like this <font color="blue">ROYAL BLUE</font> and is a deep pure blue. Almost like a black light but all intense blue. I have one in my dome light and it's nuts!!

Plain blue with look more like this: <font color="skyblue">BLUE </font>. It's a "lighter" blue and will probably show up better at a distance, but not be super rich...

greenLED

Flashaholic

doesn't royal blue have more UV in it or something like that?

No, wait, that's "dental" blue... right?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Royal blue is generally considered to be wavelengths ranging from 444nm to 454nm; dental blue 455-464nm, and regular blue 465-475nm. These are not absolute values however, and can vary by 5nm or so either way.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

greenLED: actually RB is a lower wavelength than dental. The dental is between RB and plain blue.

They do have some UV in them or at least make stuff flourece. I know so do Cyan luxeons, and GREEN luxeons to some extent (orange stuff glows)

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is almost no UV in royal blue. The band of emission is quite tight - the amount of UV emitted is negligable.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The RB lux I have makes stuff glow like mad. It also charges my glow powder up really fast.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

The primary market for royal/dental blue is in adhesive-curing applications - which is why flux is binned as power in milliwatts rather than lumens.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
evan9162 said:
There is almost no UV in royal blue. The band of emission is quite tight - the amount of UV emitted is negligable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Although there is no UV in royal blue, the radiation emitted by royal blue LEDs (Luxeon or other sources) will cause fluorescence in a variety of materials that have red, orange, yellow, or green inks or dyes in them.

Such items may include but are CERTAINLY not limited to orange inks on envelopes from the post office, day-glow plastics (like those found on Tektite flashlight bodies), orange and green labels on USPS & UPS packages, etc.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast

Indeed. I have several things that flouresce under RB light that won't under UV, some that will under UV and not RB, and some that fluoresce under both.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had a LuxV GREEN and it made a Tide Detergent bottle glow like mad!!, also my Cyan LuxIII makes a lot of stuff glow too.. I think beezaur used a pocket spectrascope and said the cyan was into infrared and uv, quite a large band.. Could it be that cyan dips slightly into the UV or is it just partial blue emitted that makes the stuff glow like RB does?

I'm really asking I guess if RB bleeds less into other wavelengths than Cyan does..

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some fluorescent materials have a very wide band of excitation frequencies. In addition, take a look at the green color spectrum - it's pretty darn wide.