Aircraft emergency light - what kind?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my last flight I happened to see a couple of white flashlights in charging cradles with a single red LED near the exit doors. They had a tamper-resistant sticker "FOR EMERGENCY USE ONLY" strapped across them so that removing them from the cradle would give an indication that they'd been used.

What kind of lights are these? To me they look like charge-in-place incandescents with NiCads to withstand the constant trickle charge. I couldn't look into the bezel because one end of the cradle covers it and I didn't want to risk being hauled off the plane for messing with it. Like an idiot I did not even remember to get a photo of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Just an interesting thought - if they were never meant to be used routinely, wouldn't a lithium MnO2 system be more appropriate? Inspect every 2 months, change every year for safety despite the 10 year shelf life.

attowatt

Enlightened
I have seen the same lights on planes, cream white in color. The red leds flash, like once every 30 seconds or so. The ones I saw did not have a tamper-resistant sticker.

I think you are correct Kevin, in that they are incans.

They probably test them once a year..?

Jim

ksbman

Flashaholic*
As a flashaholic who is also an Aircraft Mechanic, I'm embarrassed to say I haven't really paid those lights much attention.

Every day I look to see that they flash at least once in 10 seconds and that the tamper strap is in place.

I change the battery pack when the red light no longer blinks and replace the strap after a F/A uses one to look in her purse. That's about all that's done to them.

I'll take one apart tomorrow and post some pictures, if anyone is interested.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, COOL! This is the kind of info that not many would have access to, much less be able to get one of those lights. Would be very interested, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

BEpsilon

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ksbman said:
...replace the strap after a F/A uses one to look in her purse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah, that surely is an emergency use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ksbman

Flashaholic*
I took some pictures tonight, but I have to re-learn how to post them every time, so I'll do it on my weekend.

Here is the manufacturers info for the light. And the fifth picture down, the batteries on the left are what is in it.

It has a 7.5v Alkaline-manganese dioxide battery pack and a PR18 bulb.

I'm guessing it has a magnetic switch. My pictures will show a two-prong dealy on the flashlight that fits into the mounting bracket. Take the flashlight out of the mount, and the light comes on. Install it in the mount and the light goes off.

Last edited:

BEpsilon

Newly Enlightened
ksbman, are defective light units available please? Just thought it would be a nice mod'ing project... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Keith! Those are great links. If you need assistance with the photos, drop me a line and I'll help you out with them. Alternatively you can email them to me and I'll post them.

So much for my theory that the thing uses a NiCad pack and is a CIP system, it's really a much simpler device than we imagine. Wrong guess on the red LED. (real answer below)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif 7.5v Alkaline-manganese dioxide battery pack

Now, if only it was lithium.. but then again, lithiums freak aviation out.

Think I will continue flying with my U2 or comparable light, that way should the S ever HTF, I will at least be able to see the S /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

BEpsilon, great idea. If there are units being thrown away I will gladly pay shipping to get one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Interestingly enough:

Although they are almost identical in appearance, the Model EF-1 Emergency Flashlight System (Beige) and the Model EF-2C Rechargeable Flashlight System (Black) are not interchangeable. Neither the battery pack, flashlight, or bracket of the EF-1 system can be used with the EF-2C system and vice versa

So there is a rechargeable light, just that it wasn't on the plane I was taking. Found it here and it also explains the true nature of the red LED. Very cool!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
More info on the PR18: http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/pr18.html

Almost 4W bulb, DME says 4 hour burntime on that light. Draws 7.2V nominal, 0.55A. My guess is something a bit bigger than AA cells, because Duracell says just short of 4 hours at 0.5A. Alkaline would be 5 cells in the housing, let's see.. if we could find five comparable NiMH, that'd give us 6V and we can use some Welch-Allyn superbulbs, provided the front end isn't Lexan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The other EF-2C rechargeable light says 2 hours burntime using a PR18 as well. At 0.55A, that means its NiCad pack is a 1.1AH unit. Probably six cells.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
DME EF-1, uses battery pack.

dsc004575pw.jpg

Rayovac, Model # IN2 MS, uses 2D batteries. Pilots and First Officer's emergency flashlight.

dsc004589pe.jpg

DME EF-2C, charges from aircraft electical system. 28V max.

dsc004594jv.jpg

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics!

I guess the Rayovac is another reason why the A2 Aviator is flying off the shelves. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah definately nice pictures:)

I'm no pilot but I definately think that if I were there's no way I'd be relying on those...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why? Just because it's a simple two cell light doesn't mean it isn't reliable nor able to do the task when needed; that being an emergency light.

Those lights have been sround for 60+ years, they can't be that bad...

-dan

Reaper

Enlightened
Actually this not-so-expensive flashlight is pretty well made. It's certified for hazardous locations and MSHA approved. Not too bad for a $5.00 or so light.

Rayzorbeam

Newly Enlightened
I found that very usefull information as we are currently working on a new range of cradle mounted high intensity battery operated hand held units.
Could you please elaborate a bit more on the requirements e.g batteries . as to what we know there is a CAA ammendment to the use of Lithum batt's for aviation applications .

Regards

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Reaper said:
Actually this not-so-expensive flashlight is pretty well made. It's certified for hazardous locations and MSHA approved. Not too bad for a $5.00 or so light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, cheap and good eh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In all fairness to the ROV, I had one and if I needed an affordable light, I would buy another one of those. In fact I SHOULD have gotten another one of them because I was in town earlier, and of course, you only think of it when you get home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif I want a 2D light, re-sleeved for 3C as a test platform for a mod I'm making. If you don't want a mod, get a 3 cell bulb (Mag's xenon bulb?) and put it in. The stippled reflector also helps clean up the beam a lot.

It's just that if my life depended on it in an emergency I would want the very best I could lay my hands on.. plus we've been spoiled by the wealth of awesome lights available to us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rayzorbeam: Cool, what are you working on, if you are able to tell us? Or let us know when it's done and ready. Sounds interesting.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
For you curious modders. Reflector size differences.

Side view, M*g 3C, Rayovac, Cutdown M*g.

dsc004957ej.jpg

Front view, M*g 3C, Rayovac, Cutdown M*g

dsc004947dt.jpg

Top view, M*g 3C, Rayovac, Cutdown M*g

dsc004963wn.jpg

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got that Rayovac Industrial, but in Yellow. The Red Cross handed them out. While, not a great light, it's decent for a 2D plastic light. I haven't tried modding it; I doubt it would be worth the effort. However, keep it around for emergencies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If I ever find myself actually using it, I know I'm in trouble. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I sometimes use it as a baseline when I want to see how much better all my other lights are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif