Is E1L a throw or flood light ?

firefly99

Enlightened
Just got hold of a E1L, noticed that the len is convex. The beam is quite intense & throw quite good. But it does not really flood like my E1E+KL4. When held close to a surface, I can see multiple donuts with a square centre. Is this normal ?

attowatt

Enlightened
I have the same setups you have firefly99. I dont know about the multiple donuts... but I do see what appears to be 4 little squares, when about 4 inches from surface wall. Also when shining on a wall from 7 feet it looks square with a LOT of throw.

I have installed the KL1 head on my L4 light and KL4 on E1E light, for throw and flood respectively.

Jim

cslinger

Enlightened
The key to the new generation of KL1 heads is picking up a F04 beam shaper. The beam shaper makes a very pleasing flood of light and by simply pulling it off you still retain the throwing capabilities. I really think the KL1/L1 with the F04 is a killer combination.

Chris

firefly99

Enlightened
Yes, from far the beam looks square. Throws yes, flood no.
What is your runtime ? Still testing the E1L.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
As cslinger said, with an F04, the E1e+KL1 is multipurpose.

Now if they made a version of the F04 as a tipoff...

cslinger

Enlightened
You I have thought about picking up a small Butler Creek Blizzard scope cover with the clear plastic window and seeing if I could scuff the window with a dremel to see if it would work as a diffuser. That would effectively give you a tip up diffuser.

Chris

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The F04 makes the hot hot spot, into a less hot, wide dispersed hot spot. Still not a wide flood

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally like the e1l.. It fits nicely into my pocket and has a nice beam.. perfect to look into computers or tiny cracks.

-tom

cognitivefun

Enlightened
The F04 really makes this a great light. Still a spot though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL1/EL1/EL2:

90% throw, 10% sidespill (in rings) my opinion says

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's a "BeamShaper" - it's like a lens cap that fits over the end of the bezel - it has a special "lens" made from an extremely expensive "plastic" that difuses the light into a uniform flood of light.

Al

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cognitivefun said:
The F04 really makes this a great light. Still a spot though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just purchased another F04 and it diffuses the beam twice as much as my older F04. Quite the flood.

Either Surefire has changed the lens material in the F04 or there is some variation in production. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

cslinger

Enlightened
My F04 produces quite the flood as well. It will flood the better part of an average size dining/living room with light.

Chris

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has a 2-1-2004 revision on it..
The plastic looks just like a stanard piece of acrylic that has been bead blasted