2xAAA led light w/ multiple brightness levels?

jman

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to find a good replacement for the mag AAA my dad always has in his shirt pocket. Ideally it would have better brightness than the stock mag AAA, but with at least one dim mode for close-up reading. An infinitely adjustable would be perfect...

Agan, since he always carries it in his shirt pocket, cr123 and AA lights are all too thick and bulky.

So far (multiple brightness aside) the pen / shirt pocket sized lights I have found use the .5 watt led. (nuwai 2xAAA .5 watt and terralux LTE-10 drop in for mag 2xAAA)

Is there anything else out there? brighter or with multiple brightness levels?

Thanks in advance for any help
Joel

Weylan

Enlightened
The MJLED works well.
I have one and with very little work it is very good. The hard part may be finding the MJLEDs.

But the amount of work that makes the MAG AAA a real winner is minimal.
Get a MJLED.
Drill out the AAA reflector to 1/4 inch.
Put in the MJLED
DONE!

I would say it is brighter and whiter then a regular MAG and the light will last 20+ hours on. There are claims of 35+ hours to 50% brightness.

Another choice would be an ARC AAA or a Peak NANO modified by rouse.com. There is a new ARC AAA in the works by the same builder, but new company. Then a cheap aproach is the Dorcy 1xAAA 1 LED or the Dorcy 1xAA 3LED. These have some good light, can be impoved with 26K MCD LEDs and cost less then $10 and are smaller then the MAG. I believe that the light they produce is about the same as the MAG.